VS2 Headlight Bulb

arsity

Reaction score
Visit site
I was riding with the VS2 kit at night for the first time. As it got darker, I quickly realized that I was having a hard time seeing anything in front of me. I have a mirrored faceshield on my helmet, but it was UP, while I wore a pair of clear Oakley eye protection. I was so confused about what was going on that I put the faceshield down, then put it back up, then took the Oakley's off, then put them back on. I came to a stop and leaned forward to ensure that the headlight was actually on. Once I made it home, I saw that the bulb is only 33watts??? :confused:

I am pretty lazy when it comes to taking things back apart to make a small adjustment. I really wish I would have known this before I mounted everything so I could have swapped bulbs. Just the thought of having to take the light off again makes me a little sick. lol

Or maybe the light isnt angled properly??? :confused:

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
If you have your cables well secured along the side / fork, then you should have enough space to change the bulb just by turning your handlebar to the left and using the space on the right to unplug and change the bulb. I can do that on mine and I have a VS-2 as well. I can even do that with the hid setup that I have.

If not, then you will have to take the headlight out again :rolleyes: Take this opportunity to tidy your cables for future bulb change, because you will need to change the bulb again eventually.

Signal 50

Reaction score
Visit site
35 watts is the asian market standard as far as I know, which is what the kit is markted for. You will need to swap a 45/55 H4 bulb in. Check with Motogiro but I'm about 99% sure you will need to modify the relay as well.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Easily remedied with upgrading to a 55/65 watt bulb but then you need to make sure the low beam turns off when the hi beam is actuated because the lamp can not dissipate the heat efficiently with the standard 55/65 watt lamp. The FZ6 faired bike do not come with this switching unless the bike has been previously modified. Click on the link in my signature for more info and down load PDF. :D

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Taking off the headlight is a cinch! 2 headlight fairing bolts per side and then just three more bolts and its off.

You need to either upgrade to a 55/65 watt H4 bulb or do what I did and go with a nice HID kit. With either choice, you need to slightly modify the OEM wiring to allow proper switching between high and low beam. You can either perform BD43's wiring mod (outlined here on the boards) or install one of Motogiro's relay kits which is the route I went.

Once that mod is performed you could simply throw in a nice 55/65 watt bulb or do the HID conversion. If you decide to go with teh HID conversion, I highly recommend the VVME kit. For $70 and you can get a kit with two 55 watt H4-3 bulbs of your temp choice, two 55 watt slim fit ballasts, and the relay. Their H4-3 bulbs are perfect for this application as they have an antiglare cap, seat perfectly in the H4 socket, and achieve high and low beam switching with an internal solenoid which means you wont have to worry about a seperate gas cartridge heating up. Installation is very straight forward and I would be happy to answer any questions you might have.

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
Here is a pic of how it looks behind the headlight with the VS-2 on my bike. As you can see, plenty of space to change the bulb without removing anything. The big connector is for my HID bulb, but you should only have a normal H4 plug, which is even easier to unplug and change your bulb.

If you stick with the a Halogen bulb, follow Motogiro's advices.

If you want to go HID, you will get plenty of help here as you have seen already. There is also this thread that helped me do mine. It is quite exhaustive:

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/42492-fz6-n-morimoto-mini-d2s-retrofit.html

Naked Stella

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the VS2 headlight on my 07. I rode it for the first time in the dark and also realized I couldn't see squat. Noticed that the headlight was pointing towards the tops of the trees. Made it home, and that was the sketchiest ride of my life (all back-roads with no streetlights). Took the headlight fairings off and adjust the entire head light down, took it out the next morning into work and it got better. Dropped the light about 15' down at a distance of 30'. It still needs to come down about another 5'-8' to be where I want it. Is there anyway to adjust the light itself? Also, is there anyway that the light bulb was installed upside down?

Hope I'm not too late for this thread...

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Anybody can screw up any install... Its easy enough to pull, check and re-install.

The bulb should seat fully and in only ONE way(it'll have a tab for alignment)

As far off as yours sounds, it's likely the bulb isn't seated correctly...

**DO NOT TOUCH the glass BULB ITSELF, (or IF touched, clean with rubbing alcohol.)

I know how to adjust the stock fared bike, but the VS2, IDK..

FZ6_WVU

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Visit site
I had the same problem when I installed my VS2, headlight shinning at the trees.

Under the headlight on the right side, there is a U shaped bracket with a thumb washer/nut. I was able to loosen the nut, and adjust the headlight down enough to get the light shining correctly. But I am sure this is the adjustment you talked about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk