VERY odd tire wear pattern.

W

wrightme43

112.99 shipped to my door for a front 120/70ZR17 Avon Storm ST. So I will see how it does this time.

I cant begin to describe how dissapointed I am. I really like the way these tires feel in the rain and wet. I have went 100 mph down the interstate in the pouring rain, and felt completely in control. They lean great in the wet too, always feeling planted, but this is not right.

H

HavBlue

112.99 shipped to my door for a front 120/70ZR17 Avon Storm ST. So I will see how it does this time.

I cant begin to describe how disapointed I am. I really like the way these tires feel in the rain and wet. I have went 100 mph down the interstate in the pouring rain, and felt completely in control. They lean great in the wet too, always feeling planted, but this is not right.

Agreed, it's not right and Avon tends to get a good rep. My experience was good with them but they just didn't give me the mileage. The rim could be bent but this can easily be checked if you have some tools to check the run out.

W

wrightme43

I sure dont man. I know where I can use them though.

I dont remember any hard knocks to the wheel though. And with the lady above saying what she said, and then finding it online on other bikes, I guess its just a problem with thier reverse treaded front tires.

from thier site

if.gif

IFG(Inverted Front Grooves)

For the front tyre, a system pioneered by Avon in the late eighties and only now being adopted by the competition, resists ‘stepped-wear’ and cupping to deliver smooth handling throughout the tyre’s life. By significantly reducing uneven tread wear, a further advantage of the IFG configuration is improved wet braking and shorter stopping distances.

It seems to work great on 75% of the tire. LOL

W

wrightme43

Spoke with AVON tech today. He says this is very strange and he is contacting England to get in touch with me. Something is definitely not right.

I keep the front at 32 psi, and rear at 34.
I know manual rec. 33 and 36.

Avon is sending me a chart for what pressure at what wieght they like for their tires, but he said my settings are not of line.

More will be revealed. LOL

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
spoke With Avon Tech Today. He Says This Is Very Strange And He Is Contacting England To Get In Touch With Me. Something Is Definitely Not Right.

I Keep The Front At 32 Psi, And Rear At 34.
I Know Manual Rec. 33 And 36.

Avon Is Sending Me A Chart For What Pressure At What Wieght They Like For Their Tires, But He Said My Settings Are Not Of Line.

More Will Be Revealed. Lol

Update????

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Spoke with AVON tech today. He says this is very strange and he is contacting England to get in touch with me. Something is definitely not right.

I keep the front at 32 psi, and rear at 34.
I know manual rec. 33 and 36.

Avon is sending me a chart for what pressure at what wieght they like for their tires, but he said my settings are not of line.

More will be revealed. LOL

My fathers Avon's recommend a 44 cold psi in them. They are for his cruiser and I do not know what Avon's they are.

I would think that running a low psi would effect the whole tire though.

Side note: I run the psi the tire recommends, not the manual. The manual is for stock tires...

Let us know what happens. This is interesting.

-bryan

W

wrightme43

New ones are doing beautifully. The old ones had dyna beads in them. Maybe they did it. When these wear out though I may try another tire.

W

wrightme43

Little ceramic beads that are supposed to constantly balance the tires as they move. They didnt work for me. I wanted them to, but they dont work. Especially over 115 120 mph.

Maverick

Reaction score
Visit site
I gave up on Avon Storm ST... I liked them initially, but started to not like them as much as they wore. The front in particular cupped badly on both sides and the rear squared off and then didn't feel very good at lean. Although I'd normally expect to use two rears to a front, I trashed both tires and switched to Michelin Pilot Power 2CT due to the severe cupping.

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
I gave up on Avon Storm ST... I liked them initially, but started to not like them as much as they wore. The front in particular cupped badly on both sides and the rear squared off and then didn't feel very good at lean. Although I'd normally expect to use two rears to a front, I trashed both tires and switched to Michelin Pilot Power 2CT due to the severe cupping.

I really wanted to go with Avon Storm ST's but I had cupping issues with Avon's on my old Buell and my brother-in-law's Honda has Avons that are cupped, so I decided to order Metzeler Z6's. We'll see how they look once they arrive and go on the bike in about a month or so.

Maverick

Reaction score
Visit site
I really wanted to go with Avon Storm ST's but I had cupping issues with Avon's on my old Buell and my brother-in-law's Honda has Avons that are cupped, so I decided to order Metzeler Z6's. We'll see how they look once they arrive and go on the bike in about a month or so.

I went in looking to get the Metzeler Z6, but the deaer had a sale on in-stock tires only... I'm sure the Z6 will be great. :rockon:

rvbiker

Reaction score
Visit site
OK, here’s my best guess. For a tire to wear only in on quadrant of on half of the tire would indicate a rubber compounding/mfg problem. If you didn’t notice this on your old tire and you haven’t made any changes to the front end in the mean time then I don’t know what else it could be.