Uploading new MAP to Power Commander

Rocky529

Reaction score
Visit site
I recently had a problem with a bad MAP on my bike which eventually drained my battery.

I want to upload a new MAP but want to make sure the old MAP gets wiped. Is the proper technique for this to just upload a new MAP and it automatically overwrites the old one?

Thanks for the help

i have had the same problems. I would and when i came home i would clean it i would try to start it. I am going to call PC111 and see what they say.

I'm trying to understand why a map would drain your battery? Did you install anything else? I would leak test as well as load test the battery and have the charging system tested. It might be cheaper in the long run. Could be that the PC has a defect. Again I don't understand why any map would constitute a drain on the battery.
Good luck!

Numeric

Last edited:
I'm trying to understand why a map would drain your battery? Did you install anything else? I would leak test as well as load test the battery and have the charging system tested. It might be cheaper in the long run. Could be that the PC has a defect. Again I don't understand why any map would constitute a drain on the battery.
Good luck!

Numeric
Because the MAP was preventing the engine from turning over.. it just kept cranking and eventually drained my battery.

I re-charged the battery and disconnected the PCIII... I put 350 miles on the bike since without one hiccup.

Yes, loading a new map will overwrite the old one. Only other thing I can think is check and make sure the ground wire on the power commander is secure and that it was plugged into the wiring harness correctly. If it's all hooked up right and still won't crank I would contact the company and try to get a replacement. That's my 2 cents.

so the map you loaded was so badly suiting for your bike,it wouldnt even start...and while you were trying to start your bike,your have drained your battery...correct?

when you hook your pcIII to your computer you will see the map you are using in its folder..there should be a copy of it on you computer anyways...so you will be able to see the given values through out the rpm range on that map....you can erase that map and install the one that is suitable for your bike,,,,before starting your bike you can check the values and compare them with the bad map to see if you succesfully have changed or not...

i dont think any map on their website that is made for an fz6 would cause the bike to not start at all ....probably you have downloaded a map for another bike....honestly i dont even think any map would cause a bike to not start at all..you probably couldnt connect the plugs properly and the bike failed to start,,once you touched the plugs to take the pcIII off ,,you could be able to plug everything back properly so the bike started up nicely...

Slight detour .... where is the plug for the power commander on the bike ... can't seem to find it (?)

Also, if i got my hands on a power commander, where are the maps? Although i believe i'd have to create my own .... we're fairly high altitude, i think it's a mile up .... (1600m)

Slight detour .... where is the plug for the power commander on the bike ... can't seem to find it (?)

Also, if i got my hands on a power commander, where are the maps? Although i believe i'd have to create my own .... we're fairly high altitude, i think it's a mile up .... (1600m)
Under the gas tank.

The MAPs are on the PowerCommander website.

I recently ran into the same issue. I have the PCIII installed. I was pulling into my driveway and received a phone call from my boss, I didn't fully turn the bike off and it was only, no more than, 5 minutes. Went to crank her back up and nothing. I've noticed since the install of the PCIII, that it was sort of sluggish upon start up but paid it no mind. Anyway, after letting it rest for a half hour, went to start her back up and barely got it to crank. I'm going to slap my battery tender on it and do some more research regarding this issue.

I believe that others have posted that the stick maps offered from the website are way too rich. Someone, I think maybe wolfman, has created a popular map with many people.

I still have the PCIII disconnected but mounted on the bike.. I'd like to re-connect it with a new MAP but do not want to get stranded as a result of it not cranking over.

I re-charged my battery with a trickle charger and it is as good as new.

I still have the PCIII disconnected but mounted on the bike.. I'd like to re-connect it with a new MAP but do not want to get stranded as a result of it not cranking over.

I just finished semi-charging mines, ran out of daylight. Kept the PCIII connected.

How sure are you that it was the PCIII that caused the battery to drain?

if you think the pc3 is draining the batt. disconnect one of the batt cables and place an ammeter between the cable and the post. then see how much of a draw difference there is with it connected and disconnected. or start pulling fuses one by one to see whats drawing all the power.

EDIT: I just read the thread again and really its not the PC3 thats draining the battery. It's the excessive cranking thats the problem. If it won't start but cranks then yeah get the map figured out first. but if it doesnt crank thats a different issue.

actually that should be a sticky here for when people ask questions. no start and no crank are two different issues.

eg. you go to start your bike and it doesn't "crank". Then you find out you've hit the kill switch.

or you go to start your bike and it doesn't "start". It just keeps cranking. Then you check and see that someone stole all your gas :D

Last edited:

Did you have any issue disconnecting the power commander? And did you leave it mounted?

Did you have any issue disconnecting the power commander? And did you leave it mounted?
No, I had no issue.. I just reconnected the stock plugs and bypassed the PCIII. It is still mounted under my seat and I do want to use it again.. but not until this issue is solved. The worst feeling is hitting the starter button and it just cranks but doesn't turn over.

No, I had no issue.. I just reconnected the stock plugs and bypassed the PCIII. It is still mounted under my seat and I do want to use it again.. but not until this issue is solved. The worst feeling is hitting the starter button and it just cranks but doesn't turn over.

My feelings exactly...I had to stop and get gas the other morning(feared this would happen) it would not turn over!!! I had to wait 30minutes just before it would start again. Explain that one to your boss.

I just removed the whole thing completely from the bike. It's running great now. Anyone want to buy a Power Commander????

My feelings exactly...I had to stop and get gas the other morning(feared this would happen) it would not turn over!!! I had to wait 30minutes just before it would start again. Explain that one to your boss.

I just removed the whole thing completely from the bike. It's running great now. Anyone want to buy a Power Commander????
Mine is running great, too, to be honest..

Hmph, I really don't want to sell it.

Two PCIII for sale, I guess.. :thumbup:

Back