• clutchless all the way through

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • Other (say in thread)

Votes: 5 5.1%

• Total voters

andrewsierck

Reaction score
Visit site
Preload the shifter, then pull in the clutch and shift. Smoothest way !!

This is absoulutely the best way to shift from 1st to second. Once you figure it out you wont go back, I swear!

Preloading the shifter means putting upward pressure on the shifter, but not so much that it shifts. then when you hit the clutch lever it will go into gear on its own. it feels great when you get it right. Before I learned this maneuver, I thought there was something wrong with the tranny because it was so clunky, now the shifts are sooo smooth

adberns

Reaction score
Visit site
The most recent issue of Sport Rider addressed again the issue of shifting without the clutch. The chaps there said up-shifting, when done properly, should cause no extra damage, but that downshifting should always be done with a clutch (which I think people on this forum are almost 100% in agreement with).

Just found it interesting how much this question has popped up lately :)

nixter

Reaction score
Visit site
Well I've been messing around with clutchless up shifting for the last couple days and my conclusion is that CLUTCHES ARE FOR SUCKERS! Lol, I kid. Seriously though, it's such a smooth and fast way to shift! I love it. My only complaint is that it can get a little confusing having yet another thing to remember as a relatively new rider. I suppose I'll get used to it with practice.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Like others have said, its all about attitude and how I feel that day. The 1 -> 2 is a greater issue as it has the greatest change at -32% so its a smaller target RPM wise. IMO it has little to nothing to do with passing through N. What is missed is its NOT the Gear teeth you are trying to align (they are in full contact always) its the clutch dogs on the gears/shaft that have to match before the PEG goes in the hole and power can be transfered in the desired gear.

My philosophy is this; Shift it like you mean it and don't do it with half intent or you will suffer the wrath of gear clash. I rev match up and down w/and w/out the clutch in everything I drive. I also recommend that everyone figure it out as the first time a cable, lever, or something else breaks it the difference between being confident and riding home or walking.

Keep this in mind as you glance at the tach; Its why the upper gears are easy.
That's a change in RPMs of:
1st > 2nd = -32%
2nd > 3rd = -20%
3rd > 4th = -14%
4th > 5th = -11%
5th > 6th = -9%

From; http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...ead-rpm-gear-sprockets-tire-actual-speed.html

Last edited:

Xavias

Shenanigans.
Reaction score
Visit site