Unicorn Bike - Chain Mileage

xnay

Reaction score
Visit site
I had a new tire put on my bike yesterday and my Japanese mechanic was amazed that my bike has almost 60,000km on it and the chain and sprockets have little wear (originals), the suspension hasn't had the oil changed, the brake pads and spark plugs have only been changed once, and the bike is great shape.

I ride a 2008 FZ6N S2. I've owned it since 5,800km and bought it in 2009. I live in Korea so there is quite a bit of hardcore city driving, plus mountain twisties, and bombing down highways. The police are lax here and the speed cameras only aim at the front plates of vehicles, so motorcycles can pretty go any speed they want.

I'm curious about the maintenance/longevity of the parts on others' bikes.

2wheelieadv

Reaction score
Visit site
I think it's normal. I just changed chain and sprockets and spark plugs at 28k miles (45k km), and all were still in good shape.
Original brake pads still fine.

Last edited:

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have not changed the spark plugs, chain and sprockets, or the brake pads. 27k miles (44km??) and everything is in good shape.. although, i have only ridden in rain maybe a dozen times and I am pretty good about maint..

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think it's normal. I just changed chain and sprockets and spark plugs at 28k miles (45k km), and all were still in good shape.
Oriental brake pads stil fine.

^^
I'm guessing the "oriental" brakes pads last 70 to 90 years! Mileage will vary tho! Blah

For owners with >20,000mi (32km) on the clock, plugs are gonna be in rough shape. I'd urge you to address this sooner than later.

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
^^
I'm guessing the "oriental" brakes pads last 70 to 90 years! Mileage will vary tho! Blah

For owners with >20,000mi (32km) on the clock, plugs are gonna be in rough shape. I'd urge you to address this sooner than later.
Agreed. Plugs are something that may look alright when you finally change them, but the plug WILL erode due to electrical migration and the high voltage across them. Even if they look like they can be re-gapped and used again, it's a much better idea to buy a new set of plugs.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

crazydmc

Reaction score
Visit site
...For owners with >20,000mi (32km) on the clock, plugs are gonna be in rough shape. I'd urge you to address this sooner than later.

hmmm... I put 65k miles on my bike with the original sparkers :eek:

I have noticed my mileage dropped a couple mpg's recently and was wondering why (now about 43)

I'm sure I could use new plugs and should probably have the valve clearances checked.

I did change the oil every 3k miles, and changed the air filter (once I think, dang thing is $40!)

bad owner.:shakehead:
but hey, it still runs and looks perfect, not a scratch on it.

2wheelieadv

Reaction score
Visit site
^^
Funny. just noticed it. I typed that on my phone and it changed "original" to "oriental" demn phone. Fixed.
As for the maintenance, I said that I got to replace the sparks. Didn't ride yet to see the difference though.
I also replaced the chain/sprockets. No difference in riding. 530 chain is strong, can run easy up to 35k miles if you don't wheelie or riding constantly with passenger.

Last edited:

crazydmc

Reaction score
Visit site
.... 530 chain is strong, can run easy up to 35k miles if you don't wheelie or riding constantly with passenger.

I got 45k miles on my original chain and sprockets... I did try to see how far I could go with the originals... so it was pretty crunchy by the time I replaced em (with another oem set of course) so it WAS a nice difference for me.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
16,000 mi and clearly erroded. Gap opened beyond spec. Ive never put the double ground strap plugs back, it has CR10E in it now with the ignition advance.
picture.php