ugh, really?!

mannydiller

Reaction score
Visit site
so... count me in to the group of low siders. :(

this morning on the way to work, i was making a relatively slow (20mph) left hand turn to get on the on-ramp to merge on to the freeway... and completely lost the back tire and went down. i slid about 7 feet and stopped, the bike about 15 feet into the retaining wall. all things considered, minus some road rash on my left knee, i'm fine. my helmet never hit the ground and my jacket & gloves did their part. my jeans put up a good fight, but lost ultimately at the knee.

i'm thinking most of my issues with the bike will be cosmetic... left front fairing, stator engine cover, plastic along the seat, clutch lever, and rear rim all look like hell. it was leaking no fluids and it started up, sounding fine. i had no choice but to get it towed. i'm kicking myself because i was going to get frame sliders next week w/ my next paycheck... and in this case, i think would have saved a lot, minus the rim.

the sad irony is i just installed killernoodle's clutch mod last night... it was so smooth, i loved it for the 15 minutes i got to use it before the spill this morning.

i'm mostly just bummed out at what this will cost me to repair and having only owned the bike for a couple of months. i will say, i'm glad i had gear on.

mannydiller

Reaction score
Visit site
i'm famous! ;)

thanks... i hope to. i just really wish i could figure out what happened, did i do something wrong, or just just bad luck. there was nothing in my line, i wasn't going to quick, i was under control... until i wasn't.

i feel tho this absolutely could have been avoided... maybe getting on the gas too early in the turn and not having a proper lean angle.

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad your ok overall, not sure about your area, but round these parts, fluid deposits on on-ramps are a killer,and can lead to a quick slide out, trying to find a "clean line" is paramount. Good luck on the repairs.:thumbup:

2nd childhood

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You sure there wasn't something on the road? I've had the unfortunate experience to have a good friend wrap his '67 Mustang around a tree back in high school when he hit an oil slick from a previous accident.

lytehouse

The Toy Lady
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Aww that sucks....I know you had your gear on, but are you feeling ok? Any aches or pains? Sometimes it takes a little while for things to start bothering ya :(

CADMAN

Reaction score
Visit site
i'm famous! ;)

thanks... i hope to. i just really wish i could figure out what happened, did i do something wrong, or just just bad luck. there was nothing in my line, i wasn't going to quick, i was under control... until i wasn't.

i feel tho this absolutely could have been avoided... maybe getting on the gas too early in the turn and not having a proper lean angle.

With all the dust storm warnings, it could have been dust/sand in the one patch that your rear tire hit.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It can be fixed and importantly your fit and well and able to ride again.
Good luck with the repairs,

Neil,

mannydiller

Reaction score
Visit site
With all the dust storm warnings, it could have been dust/sand in the one patch that your rear tire hit.

actually, i thought that too, and with the dust storm & rain two nights ago... that's a real possibility.

thanks all, for the well wishes. and yes, thankful i live to ride another day.

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hope everything goes well for you. Sorry to hear this :(

With any luck everything that can be is cosmetic. FWIW VHT engine black paint is a really close match to factory on the black fz6 engines, I've used it to good results on my own stator cover.