U.S. versus Mexico! (EEUU contra Mejico!)

driver145

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry, I was wondering why he spelled Mexico as Mejico in Spanish. This is not the conventional way to spell it (which would be México). I have seen it a handful of times (as Mejico) but have never fully understood why it might be spelled that way. Phonetically, it is pronounced as "j" in the Spanish language, so that could be the root of it. It could also be the ancient castilian spelling; I do not think the letter X pronounced as J existed back during those times.

P.S. when is the game? haha

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry, I was wondering why he spelled Mexico as Mejico in Spanish. This is not the conventional way to spell it (which would be México). I have seen it a handful of times (as Mejico) but have never fully understood why it might be spelled that way. Phonetically, it is pronounced as "j" in the Spanish language, so that could be the root of it. It could also be the ancient castilian spelling; I do not think the letter X pronounced as J existed back during those times.

I think you just exceeded the IQ limit of this forum... :ban:

driver145

Reaction score
Visit site
I think you just exceeded the IQ limit of this forum... :ban:

Haha, thanks but that's doubtful. I just graduated with a degree in Spanish (and International Business) and I took both linguistics and phonetics taught in Spanish. That's why I was wondering. Tambem, falo um pouco de português (I also speak a little Portuguese).

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
It's a joking way to spell the name (phontecially)...it's not disrespectful, just entertaining for those of us who aren't familiar with the 'x' pronounciation.

I read some racist comments from US supporter websites, and I expect some hostility from the green side also...I plan to wear my Inter Milan jersey, but look forward to a non-stop high energy game.

I'll bring my digital camera and bail $ in case anything exciting happens :D

H

HavBlue

Actually it would be pronounced MAY-HE-CO hence the use of the (J) which brings out the H phonetically. Now, who knows what they do in Spain but in East LA or Tijuana it's Baja (ba-ha) Mexico (May-he-co).....

Spanish and Mexican ain't the same nor is Puertorican .... Then again English and American English ain't the same either.

driver145

Reaction score
Visit site
I know how it is pronounced. In IPA phonetic symbols it is actually [mexiko] or [mehiko] depending on where the speakers tounge nears the roof of his or her mouth. However, in the Mexican dialect it is usually pronounced as [mexiko]. The /x/ is pronounced like the letter "j" in almost every other Spanish word was what I meant by, "Phonetically, it is pronounced as "j" in the Spanish language, so that could be the root of it."

I did some more research. It turns out that the authorities on the Spanish language decided in 1713 that from then on words with the letter "x" pronounced as /x/ should from then on be spelled with "j" and "x"s pronounced as /ks/ (like Mexico in English or [meksiko]) should be spelled with an "x". Nevertheless, México retained their original spelling of the name of their country.

H

HavBlue

I know how it is pronounced. In IPA phonetic symbols it is actually [mexiko] or [mehiko] depending on where the speakers tounge nears the roof of his or her mouth. However, in the Mexican dialect it is usually pronounced as [mexiko]. The /x/ is pronounced like the letter "j" in almost every other Spanish word was what I meant by, "Phonetically, it is pronounced as "j" in the Spanish language, so that could be the root of it."

I did some more research. It turns out that the authorities on the Spanish language decided in 1713 that from then on words with the letter "x" pronounced as /x/ should from then on be spelled with "j" and "x"s pronounced as /ks/ (like Mexico in English or [meksiko]) should be spelled with an "x". Nevertheless, México retained their original spelling of the name of their country.

When I was going to school in California they taught Castilian Spanish, which was apparently the official language of the state (Spain). I soon learned this was not the official language of the street (east LA, TJ, Ensenada and so on. Many of the terms I had learned were also different so adjustments were necessary. Puertorican is another story as this was again different in a number of ways so more adjustments were necessary. I know many of the translators you can buy are often using neutral Spanish as opposed to Castilian or Andalusian. It is my understanding south American Spanish is again different. In either case, the language is regional much the same as slang contributes to the variations in American English.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's a joking way to spell the name (phontecially)...it's not disrespectful, just entertaining for those of us who aren't familiar with the 'x' pronounciation.

I read some racist comments from US supporter websites, and I expect some hostility from the green side also...I plan to wear my Inter Milan jersey, but look forward to a non-stop high energy game.

I'll bring my digital camera and bail $ in case anything exciting happens :D

Sounds like a good time!

driver145

Reaction score
Visit site
When I was going to school in California they taught Castilian Spanish, which was apparently the official language of the state (Spain). I soon learned this was not the official language of the street (east LA, TJ, Ensenada and so on. Many of the terms I had learned were also different so adjustments were necessary. Puertorican is another story as this was again different in a number of ways so more adjustments were necessary. I know many of the translators you can buy are often using neutral Spanish as opposed to Castilian or Andalusian. It is my understanding south American Spanish is again different. In either case, the language is regional much the same as slang contributes to the variations in American English.

You are entirely correct. The Real Academia Española regulates the Spanish language, which is a Spanish (read from Spain) institution. My question more so pertained to the reason behind the spelling (I think this is called etmitology). I figured it out though. It is a long explanation.... this page explains it pretty well if anyone is interested: Toponymy of Mexico - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In short, people who went to school in Spain or South America before the 1990s would have learned the "correct" spelling of México was Méjico.