Typical Riding Range

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi there,

I picked up a 2009 FZ6 a couple weeks ago and Im just waiting for the snow to finally melt before I can get out on it. (Ontario has decided its not done with winter yet)

I like to do long distance riding and I put 10,000 km on my GS500F last summer. I found on the Suzuki I couldn't ride more than an hour and a half before needing to stop and get off to stretch (mainly butt pain). I was curious what people are finding as a comfortable riding range on the FZ6. Ive got a touring windshield and handlebar risers as a start and I hope these help out.

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
Get a seat, the Yamaha ones are terrible!

I just got a Corbin from one of your fellow Canucks. I had a Yamaha gel seat last year, and the stock one for a while before that. Either one got uncomfortable quick, like discomfort in under half an hour, and "I gotta get off this thing for a minute" after 45 minutes, an hour max.

I've only had the Corbin on a couple rides, since you're not the only one stuck in winter, but it's a HUGE improvement. I spent easily an hour straight in the saddle last time, and I stopped because my hands were getting chilly and I wanted a smoke. I'm sure I could burn a tank if I were holding a decent speed. And this isn't even supposed to be the "best" seat...

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I can ride 3hrs+ on mine, the seat doesn't bother me.

One thing, though - I've changed the handlebars because the stock ones have such a poor angle for the wrists.

(and yet I rode over 20000kms last year, with the stock bars!)

The Fizzer is a great long distance tourer - I can get almost double the distance to a tank, than my Mate can on his R1.

Very happy!

Cheers,
Rick

Daniel_Aus

Reaction score
Visit site
My butt gets sore after about 1 and a half hours on the FZ, and gets progressively worse through the day. This just means getting off regularly and having a stretch.

However, the joy of riding this bike overcomes the pain and the bike is comfortable for touring in all other ways.

I might look into an aftermarket seat one of these days..

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a stock seat, but I think it's the MD mod, that makes it so much more tolerable.

Sure, after 3hrs I'm a bit sore - but 15mins later I'm good for another stretch!

The MD mod (or more correctly, enhancement) isn't for everyone, but it works for me!

Cheers,
Rick

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got a Corbin, but otherwise everything is stock including the windshield (Puig for this year, but haven't ridden with it yet). I have no problems doing 1000km plus days, every day, for a week.

The biggest thing I would say is to condition your body for long distance riding. The first few long rides of the year are always sore, my butt starts aching after an hour or two. After a few rides though, those things go away and distance becomes a non issue.

It's kinda like going to the gym for the first time or after a long break, you can't move for the next week. Keep at it and things become more enjoyable

prowler1

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 2007 model, the stock seat on it was much better then the 1st year they came out with the FZ6, 2005, in the US. I like my seat ok, I guess it's what you get use to, either that or you just develop an iron butt after awhile.
I'll usually ride about 120 to 150 miles before it's time for a break. And as you said, no break from the winter yet this year be glad for warmer weather.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I can ride 100 miles at a time before needing to stop and stretch. I have the stock seat but I'm only 140 lbs so my butt doesn't bother me as long as I shift my weight around on long highway stints. My weak point is my knees, they don't like to be bent for a long time on the FZ6 pegs. I installed frame sliders that are longer than most and they work to rest my calves on to stretch out my legs from time to time on the highway, big difference if you can stretch your legs often.

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Seat and handle bars are a must. I have the FZ1 bars and Top Saddlery seat and love them both. I can ride all day no problem. :thumbup:

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
I notice my wrists before my butt on the FZ, but i plan on doing the FZ1 bar swap. I have two stock seats, one from my 09 and one from an S1 (04-06). i plan on sending the older seat to have the Spencer Seat Mod done. There is definitely a difference between the two seats already though. the pan on the S2 seat is much stiffer than the S1 seat, it has many extra bracing buttresses in the pan. a firmer pan should mean increased support and comfort. also Spencer's mod is much cheaper than an aftermarket seat.

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the input everyone, I'm hoping to pick up my bike this coming weekend and it's a 3hour ride home so ill get a chance to test it out myself. I'm considering an airhawk or maybe trying to pick up a used Corbin, my dad has a Russell daylong on his BMW and it's awesome but pretty pricey. For those who find wrist pain did changing the bar angle by turning it forward or back help at all?

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
I could go 2 hours before I needed to get off and stretch. Mostly due to seat pain. My knees would bother me on longer trips. Longest at one time without stopping was 3.5 to 4 hours. The FZ1 bars made a big difference, wrists were better and my head was not buffeted as much.

granda080

Reaction score
Visit site
Like most I found switching to the Corbin seat really made staying on the bike easier. However, I still found that my right hand was going numb. I put FZ1 bars on it and that really took care of that issue for me. I have no problems riding the tank empty.
One last thing, gear it down one in the front. It will make your around town, and everywhere else, riding far more enjoyable.