Two Scorpions exhaust

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been experimenting with plastidip lately. The results have not always come out well or held up as well as I thought, but it's cheap, fun, and generally easily reversible for going back to stock. I've always thought Two Brothers had the coolest looking exhaust, but I went with Scorpions for their sound and longevity. They also look pretty good as-is. That said, I dipped the tips of my exhaust in black. This is 4 coats about 10-15 minutes apart.

HRR6Ojh.jpg

I taped off the riveted metal strip right next to the tip and peeled it off right after the last coat. I tried dipping them and just peeling it off, letting the gap naturally tear the plastidip, but the gap wasn't enough to do the job so the dip on the tip tore.

I know a lot of people are probably going to say, "You're going to melt that off the first time you start the bike." Actually, the cans don't actually get that hot. I measured them with an infrared temperature gun after a ride and the tips only reach 150-170, likely due to the multiple walled design. Plastidip is good for 200+ and people often dip their exhaust tips. That said, if it does melt, I'll show the carnage.

Last edited:

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been experimenting with plastidip lately. The results have not always come out well or held up as well as I thought, but it's cheap, fun, and generally easily reversible for going back to stock. I've always thought Two Brothers had the coolest looking exhaust, but I went with Scorpions for their sound and longevity. They also look pretty good as-is. That said, I dipped the tips of my exhaust in black. This is 4 coats about 10-15 minutes apart.

HRR6Ojhl.jpg

I taped off the riveted metal strip right next to the tip and peeled it off right after the last coat. I tried dipping them and just peeling it off, letting the gap naturally tear the plastidip, but the gap wasn't enough to do the job so the dip on the tip tore.

I know a lot of people are probably going to say, "You're going to melt that off the first time you start the bike." Actually, the cans don't actually get that hot. I measured them with an infrared temperature gun after a ride and the tips only reach 150-170, likely due to the multiple walled design. Plastidip is good for 200+ and people often dip their exhaust tips. That said, if it does melt, I'll show the carnage.

It won't melt easily,
You're good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drWM2x4DmBs
Cans look cool nw..!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Perfect! Radiator guards and top clamp DONE! Now the triple, rear sets, all the levers and you'll have a clone of mine! :rockon::rockon:

Love the ALL black look!

IMG_20150518_145923_211.1_zpsydbiyrwi.jpg~original

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I seen you around here. :)

I thought about doing the entire can black, but this was easy to do with the pipes still on the bike.

I may do the bar clamp next. The stock piece is looking at little ragged. Don't think I could get away with doing the rear sets, as good as they would look. My boots would tear the plastidip off in short order.

Aren't the radiator guards already black? Or am I thinking of the wrong piece?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Originally i painted the bars and rear sets but after a year the rears were showing wear so i powder coated them. Its a bit longer process but can be done pretty inexpensively.

It just depends on resources around you.

OEM bar clamp and side guars to the radiator are silver. But honestly i just pulled the guards and left them off. If I wreck i doubt the guards will save much!

My only thought about PD on the exhaust is as it heat cycles it may not peel off so willingly.

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
I guess the previous owner must have already painted the side guards black. I don't see any silver near the radiator.

So far the dip is holding up well. I noticed a burning plastic smell after my last ride, though it is subsiding. I think it must have been the dip burning off that was sprayed inside the exhaust during the process.

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
Like most things, I say you get what you pay for. I originally had a set of four signals of a very similar design from the Two Wheels when they used to sell a good number of LED signals. When I got caught in the rain (once) water must have leaked into one of the the rear signals and caused a mess, so I replaced the rears with a set from ebay since TTW didn't sell them anymore. I've trailered my bike and been caught in the rain a couple times since and they have been fine, but I wouldn't be surprised if they met the same fate someday. They seem pretty bright - at least as bright as stock - and they're cheap and relatively easy to replace, so I'm willing to deal with their compromises.

beatle

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh, the taillight is just one I picked up on CL. I don't think it's anything special, but it gets the job done. Haven't had anyone rear end me yet. :)