Twist to right durring emergency braking

Fishwiz4

Reaction score
Visit site
I was practicing some emergency stops from around 30 mph and I was able to get pretty confident and even comfortable with a little sliding from my rear tire and even felt the rear tire lift a little (never had the front slide at all).

But durring the stops where my rear slid or lifted the rear seemed to drift to the right everytime. Not enough to cause major concern, but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced that or if there is a reason for the drift to the same side every time?

Thanks
Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

crowelor

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm no physics master, but if you're rear is locking up, then you're probably pressing down on that brake pedal pretty hard. The extra force down on the right side of the bike might be enough to initiate a lean in that direction which I think would cause the rear to kick out to the right since you're slowing down.

Again, it's just an "uneducated" hypothesis, not an expert opinion, so it's quite possible that the physics should do exactly the opposite of what I said. :D

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If the ground is sloped a tiny amount, it takes very little to make it drift to one side or the other. Beyond that it's likely in an involuntary contraction of you in some way. . . Energy takes the path of least resistance and any muscle tension in you (perhaps as subtle as you pulling on the front brake) is setting the drift into motion.

Try braking with the front.
Then brake with the rear only (gently). If neither end causes the same affect in the same area - try relaxing and see how that goes.

Fishwiz4

Reaction score
Visit site
If the ground is sloped a tiny amount, it takes very little to make it drift to one side or the other. Beyond that it's likely in an involuntary contraction of you in some way. . . Energy takes the path of least resistance and any muscle tension in you (perhaps as subtle as you pulling on the front brake) is setting the drift into motion.

Try braking with the front.
Then brake with the rear only (gently). If neither end causes the same affect in the same area - try relaxing and see how that goes.

I am assuming that you have found the reason why it did that to me. I was practicing on a road way out in the country that was "flat." I think the crown of the road could cause the effect that you are talking about.

As far as backing it in, i'm not sure about that.... that technique is used while entering a heavy tight turn, right? i was going completely straight (or trying to at least)

YZF73

Reaction score
Visit site
I am assuming that you have found the reason why it did that to me. I was practicing on a road way out in the country that was "flat." I think the crown of the road could cause the effect that you are talking about.

As far as backing it in, i'm not sure about that.... that technique is used while entering a heavy tight turn, right? i was going completely straight (or trying to at least)

Yes, however I think the reason Chevy posted it is because it shows quite well how a bike can react during very hard braking.

Yamahaboyz

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh yeah not saying that's what he's doing but, that is more or less the process of setting it up that he stumbled on by practicing emergency braking.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
By no means do I want to start this "rear brake" argument again, but just think about it. You felt your rear wheel lift.. why would you want to use your rear brake in this situation?
Spinning wheel has gyroscopic effect which helps a great deal with straight line stability.
Locked rear wheel provides no stability at all and slows you down less than a normally spinning rear wheel without brake application.
Try to practice full braking with just the front (obviously only in a straight line) and see how that feels.

*** I am not stating that front-brake-only is the only right way to do it. Find out what works best for you. ***

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
I believe backing it in only refers to the drifting of the rear tyre.. I'm not sure if you can call it backing it in when the rear tyre is in the air. That is closer to what some stunt riders do at the end of a stoppie. They come on a stoppie and right before they set down the rear wheel, they do a 180 degree spin and set it down.. I've watched Christian Pfeiffer doing this in person, he even had a soda can that he crushed this way.. Look him up on youtube, you'll see it.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I believe backing it in only refers to the drifting of the rear tyre.. I'm not sure if you can call it backing it in when the rear tyre is in the air. That is closer to what some stunt riders do at the end of a stoppie. They come on a stoppie and right before they set down the rear wheel, they do a 180 degree spin and set it down.. I've watched Christian Pfeiffer doing this in person, he even had a soda can that he crushed this way.. Look him up on youtube, you'll see it.

Seriously - we went from wheel lock - skids to 180 degree stoppies???? :rof: :don'tknow: :rof: Nothin personnel to the OP but I'm guessing that's a stretch based on his actual concern/skill set. :shakehead:

Last edited: