Turns signals quit working

Fpd262

Reaction score
Visit site
Hate for this to be a first post...I have a 2004 naked that I've had for about a month. Everything has worked fine up till this point. I was riding today and noticed the turn signals stopped working. Everything else works fine. I checked all the fuses...tore most of the front end off checking connections and I can't find anything wrong.

Any suggestion would be highly appreciated

red_rock_beetle

Reaction score
Visit site
i have little experience with fz6 electrics, but much with other low voltage circuits, i would look at the switch, it sounds to me like the only place you haven't looked yet:thumbup:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The flasher may have failed. So you do have tail light and running lamps?

Fpd262

Reaction score
Visit site
Tail lights and brake lights work fine...turnsignals and emergency lights dont. I think it might be the switch

Fpd262

Reaction score
Visit site
I took all the connections apart and reconnected them. Checked and replaced fuses that were still good. I took apart the turn sinal switch to see if there was a loose wire and nothing. Do the switches go bad? How would you know if the switch is bad? And where can you get it replaced?

Next step is spending a fortune sending it to a shop

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to this great forum! :D

I took all the connections apart and reconnected them. Checked and replaced fuses that were still good. I took apart the turn sinal switch to see if there was a loose wire and nothing. Do the switches go bad? How would you know if the switch is bad? And where can you get it replaced?

Next step is spending a fortune sending it to a shop

You can test the switch with an ohm meter. Your flasher relay could be bad...
Have you checked your flasher relay to see if it's bad? Also a loss of continuity to ground can cause the same thing on the directional circuit. No ground = no load = no flasher operation. There are a number of places this could have failed. Do you have a DVM and 12 volt test light?

Fpd262

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not sure how to check half of these things. I really believe it has something to do with the switch..front and back are all not working.

I bought a brand new test light less then two hours ago and the tester doesn't work...couldn't even get it to light up holding it on the battery terminal...this is how this process has been going for me...lol

If the switch is bad how can I get it replaced? Also do you have a pic of the relay you are taking about?
thanks for the help...loving the FZ6... Bought it kinda banged up for cheap. I was going to fix it up a little and get a different bike next year, but I can't see that when this bike is so fun to ride.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not sure how to check half of these things. I really believe it has something to do with the switch..front and back are all not working.

I bought a brand new test light less then two hours ago and the tester doesn't work...couldn't even get it to light up holding it on the battery terminal...this is how this process has been going for me...lol

If the switch is bad how can I get it replaced? Also do you have a pic of the relay you are taking about?
thanks for the help...loving the FZ6... Bought it kinda banged up for cheap. I was going to fix it up a little and get a different bike next year, but I can't see that when this bike is so fun to ride.

When you move the signal switch left or right you will feel a detent. When you push the switch straight in it causes the cancel. If your 4 way switch isn't working then it's probably not both switches at the same time so let's start with the flasher relay. Your flasher relay was originally mount in the fairing behind the plastics but now is probably tucked behind the frame some where maybe ahead of the battery. I would lift the tank and look for a little square, black relay assembly that has two wires attached. One wire is Brown with a green[/COLOR][/COLOR] tracer and one wire isbrown with a white tracer. There is the possibility the plug has even detached from the flasher relay. Since you have running and tail lights the fuse is good because the flasher and running lights share the same fuse. So...first find and check the flasher. I doubt you have a bad switch. Get another 12volt test light or repair the one you have now.

Here's a link where you can get a new electronic flasher relay at the best price I've seen. Super Bright LEDs - Electronic LED Flashers Specifications

You want the LF1-S-Flat :D

Fpd262

Reaction score
Visit site
I have finally had time to check it out. I found a black box that has the same colored wires you specified. The box looks like it was crushed when I turned (it was hanging downnot tucked up in a safe place.

FE246 BH/DENSO 12.8 V DOT are the marking on it. I took it off and it has two metal prongs that attach it to the plug with the wires you mentioned.

Anyone have any idea what this is or where I can get a replacement?

Fpd262

Reaction score
Visit site
Alright I figured out its the turn signal relay like you said...just need to find one now. Is this a part that the Yamaha dealership would have on hand?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Alright I figured out its the turn signal relay like you said...just need to find one now. Is this a part that the Yamaha dealership would have on hand?

you can get one for like 20 bucks at a Cycle gear store near you (I hope) or online for $8.95 here http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-...DispPage&category=CAR&Page2Disp=/flashers.htm

Order the LF-1-Flat

As long as it's a 2 wire flasher it doesn't matter if it says it's for a Zookie Honda Kwaka or Yammi just splice your plug on. If it doesn't work reverse the wires...:D

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The part I have doesn't look like that one...it's actually the turn signal and flasher relay....it is this piece here

I found this on eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-05-Yam...ries&hash=item2c654fd2d2&vxp=mtr#ht_931wt_689

Yes it is the same thing but a different manufacturer. The 4 way flasher and directional signal flasher relay are the same flasher relay. They use a different switches but the same flasher. If you get the electronic aftermarket one from CG or that link I sent you you will also have an electronic flasher that will flash at a steady rate if you ever change to LED signals. The OEM will not stay at a steady rate if you switch over to LED type signal lights.

Fpd262

Reaction score
Visit site
I ordered an exact replacement and the relay you sent me a link for...gonna try to splice in the one that you suggested...I'll update this when it comes in.

Thanks for all the help so far...specially Motogiro :thumbup:

Fpd262

Reaction score
Visit site
Replacement part popped right into place and turn signals worked like a charm.
I also took off the the rear turn signals and hooked up the signals in my led tail light.

Thanks again Motogiro!!!!:thumbup: