Trying to replace camshaft cover. Help

Ransom

Does anyone smell blue?
Reaction score
Visit site
I am trying to replace my camshaft cover and all is well except i can't get the Torex screws out to switch it over.

I have a power tool, but it is too weak to pull them out. Also, my ratchet set doesn't seem to do the trick. I am afraid of rounding it off.

Any suggestions?

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
+1

also note the torx screws holding the generator in are threadlocked in, and a bit of a bitch to get out, it involved a trip to A&E for me....

if you are trying to get it out of the way, then just unplug it from the recifier

Ransom

Does anyone smell blue?
Reaction score
Visit site
Well the gen would need to go in the new one, but I gave up. I am happy with the amount of maintenance I am able to do on my own. I am taking it in for the experts to do for me.

Thanks for the help
I am
Just over my head with this one.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
is the cover a different colour or something?

tbh probably best to get a mechanic to do it, i stripped the head on one of the torx bolts trying to remove it, and had to pay £20 to get it drilled out

Ransom

Does anyone smell blue?
Reaction score
Visit site
No, it's still black and all. And yes I was afraid of stripping it myself. As you can see in the first picture the bottom left screw is a little scratched up so I stopped. I don't have the right tools to do the job right. So the mechanics can have a field day with it.

Last edited:

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
You'd be surprised what you could accomplish with a good torx socket and a impact driver.

And the camshafts are on top of the engine along with the camshaft (valve) cover.

Ransom

Does anyone smell blue?
Reaction score
Visit site
You'd be surprised what you could accomplish with a good torx socket and a impact driver.

And the camshafts are on top of the engine along with the camshaft (valve) cover.

Yeah, it's the Crankcase Cover :spank: I are dumb! lol

I even ordered the correct part and all. Yet I still called it the wrong thing.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

+1 on the above...Make sure the cover is supported really good when using the impact driver. Had to use this method replacing the timing chain cover and pick up sensor awhile ago.

Worse case scenerio, if you screwed the head of the torx bolt up, drill off the head and remove the generator. Once the head is gone, the generator will slip staight up and off. Buy a new torx bolt(s) for the new cover and reinstall with locktite..

You can now, if you needed to, put a vise grip on the remaining stud and spin it out...

Some heat from a heat gun on the outer cover would help break the locktite as well..

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Another tip for those stubborn bolts:
Obviously don't start with worn tools and do your best to keep extensions short and square everything up nice before applying pressure.
If the tip rounds a little, grind it back with a bench grinder or cut it off with a cut off disk (just options that can save the day).

Now for the rounded bolt head, take a flat head punch (usually hardened shank) and a 16oz hammer and smack the head. This will usually reduce the inside diameter of the hole and make the bit fit tight again. As a benefit, it shocks the threads and can help break the hold on the stuck bolt. Try it before accepting defeat as it can make a huge difference.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Another tip for those stubborn bolts:
Obviously don't start with worn tools and do your best to keep extensions short and square everything up nice before applying pressure.
If the tip rounds a little, grind it back with a bench grinder or cut it off with a cut off disk (just options that can save the day).

Now for the rounded bolt head, take a flat head punch (usually hardened shank) and a 16oz hammer and smack the head. This will usually reduce the inside diameter of the hole and make the bit fit tight again. As a benefit, it shocks the threads and can help break the hold on the stuck bolt. Try it before accepting defeat as it can make a huge difference.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This is almost a must tool for certain jobs on your bike and will eliminate a lot of the problems of hard to start turning screws and bolts. It's a hand impact tool and gives multiple advantages of shocking seized bolts/nuts as it drives the tool bit into the screw/bolt/nut instead of slipping off. relatively cheap and priceless when you experience the usefulness a bucks saved from a trip to the dealer/shop. Of course you'll need a decent set of Torx bits in addition to this kit.

1/2" Hand Impact Tool Set, Specialty Tools - GEMPLER'S
125608-lrg.jpg

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This is almost a must tool for certain jobs on your bike and will eliminate a lot of the problems of hard to start turning screws and bolts. It's a hand impact tool and gives multiple advantages of shocking seized bolts/nuts as it drives the tool bit into the screw/bolt/nut instead of slipping off. relatively cheap and priceless when you experience the usefulness a bucks saved from a trip to the dealer/shop. Of course you'll need a decent set of Torx bits in addition to this kit.

1/2" Hand Impact Tool Set, Specialty Tools - GEMPLER'S
125608-lrg.jpg

That's what I've had/used for years, paid for itself MANY TIMES OVER...Beats a vise grip!!!

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
DSC_4663FgBolt.jpg

This wonderful bolt was one used to hold the crankshaft damper pulley on Toyota V6 1MZ engine. It was the bolt from H e l l!!!! I used an Ingersal Rand 1/2" drive IR 550 air impact gun on it. Defeat occurred after breaking the impact socket (lots a attempts in both directions). Later I broke a 1/2" driver breaker bar. The pivot cracked. Not wanting to accept defeat, I drilled holes in it to get some lube to the threads. Defeat starred me down again. So I heated it with measly little hand held propane torch = defeat. It was HOT!

As the final effort after destroying 2 impact sockets and the breaker bar, I used the engines starter and propped the new breaker bar on jack stands and wood blocks to get the angles square and turned the key. 1st hit of the starter and the car leaped up about a foot. Bolt didn't budge. Finally on the 3rd leap, it broke free. After putting the engine back together twice and driving to get new tools I won the battle and installed the timing belt. A new bolt was $4.69 from the dealer.

The green tint is factory loc-tite. The spec was 250ft/lbs. I'd speculate the torque to break the bond of friction from being at 250 + the age, + the loc-tite had to be 500lbs or more. Good times. . . . lol :Flip:

OK - back to our thread - the moral is; never admit defeat! :rockon:

AlexL

Shiny Side Up
Reaction score
Visit site
I was doing this exact job because my cover has a big scratch from where I laid the bike down and I needed to replace it. I started stripping that bolt trying to use a torx t handle. Impact driver for the win.

Ransom

Does anyone smell blue?
Reaction score
Visit site
I think I might just have to pick up that impact tool for the next time I am working on the motorcycle. I was actually able to loosen and would have been able to remove all the screws..., but the one. (of course) :rolleyes:

I feel better having someone else do it for now, also with it being the crankcase cover and having the wiring feed in from above and outside of the cover I would have to reseal the wiring back in place. I just didin't want to test my sealing skills. It looked simple enough, but my luck I would miss a small area and burn my left with drops of hot oil.