Trouble shifting down

As noted above, bolt #17 has a shoulder and bottoms out. Its should be tight (couldn't find the torque spec's).

One of those washers, (if you go to the full parts page), is a "wave washer".

That keeps slop to a minimum but the lever still moves freely. Its possible someone lost it and replaced it with a regular washer (too thick and thus) literally tightened down the lever to the frame..

I just loosened it a degree or two. It was so tight that I had to use a breaker bar and almost stripped my tool. After that I had no problems so I think I just got some gunk in it.

I just loosened it a degree or two. It was so tight that I had to use a breaker bar and almost stripped my tool. After that I had no problems so I think I just got some gunk in it.

If there was gunk in there, understandable.

Did you notice a very thin "wavy" "washer" in there? You should be able to tighten that bolt down without ANY binding...

If there was gunk in there, understandable.

Did you notice a very thin "wavy" "washer" in there? You should be able to tighten that bolt down without ANY binding...

I didn't look, I was just about to start a few hundred km ride so I didn't take anything apart, just loosened it, lubed it, tightened it and then headed out.

Slight post Necro here, but 'search is your friend' is true in this situation.

Had some issues yesterday getting into 1st at stops - would stay in neutral and I was damn near standing on it to try to get it to drop (At times in the past, it makes a 'cluck' getting into 1st, and then sometimes not). This was the first time it'd not shift down..

I did eventually get it to - I'd go up into 2nd, then back down and it clicked in (happened twice). No other shifting issues up or down.

Thinking I need to 'lube' things and insure the 3mm play in cable (That seems to be there still, but will check to be sure - my girls might have sat on it in the garage and fooled with things).

This being my 1st bike and 1st season riding - 'it's all greek to me' but glad the forum is here for searches and help!

Taking it in at the end of season for full fluids flush, valve check (1st owner of course sold the bike right when it was time for the valves!), check the forks, all that good stuff. I have a feeling after getting all that done, the bike will seem totally different than now.

Slight post Necro here, but 'search is your friend' is true in this situation.

Had some issues yesterday getting into 1st at stops - would stay in neutral and I was damn near standing on it to try to get it to drop (At times in the past, it makes a 'cluck' getting into 1st, and then sometimes not). This was the first time it'd not shift down..

I did eventually get it to - I'd go up into 2nd, then back down and it clicked in (happened twice). No other shifting issues up or down.

Thinking I need to 'lube' things and insure the 3mm play in cable (That seems to be there still, but will check to be sure - my girls might have sat on it in the garage and fooled with things).

Lubing the clutch cable and linkage helps alot.. Once thats done, in your initial post, just let the clutch out a tad to get the transmission gears spinning and the shifter shaft / dog can now move easier. It'll clunk into first after that. Your going into 2nd, got the gearbox spinning and you were able to change gears...

The key (with the bike maintained properly), is to down shift as you slow. One gear at a time (appropriate for the speed). You can also let the clutch out as you slow, in the lower gear if you like. (obviously, don't downshift too much for the speed or you may lock up your rear wheel).

DO NOT wait until your stopped to go from 6th to 1st. It can be done, but you'll be playing with the clutch (spinning the gears some) to get the gears to shift.

Also, adjust the clutch play to fit your riding/shifting. There is a fair amount of room to give or take clutch lever free play. As long as the clutch isn't dragging at all when stopped, or slipping under power, your good.. With the short clutch engaugement zone, it gives you some room to adjust..

Last edited:
Back