Having problems shifting down when coming to a stop!!

Well you can use it as a lube if you want. There are plenty of much better lubrication products out there that are designed to be lubes. I could also use dish soap on my car to wash it, but I don't. I could use baking soda to brush my teeth, but I don't. Both could do the job and contain elements of what's needed to do the job, but there are much better products out there specifically designed for each job.

Like the old saying goes, use the right tool for the right job.

Sorry for the thread jack. :hijack:

You should be down shifting through the transmission and be letting out the clutch with each gear as you come to a stop, and you should be in first gear by the time you come to a complete stop.

You'll realize that it's a lot smoother if you're moving while you shift.

I have always done that too, (changing through the gears) but over here i believe they teach new riders to use only brakes to slow down and then change down quickly through the gears with the clutch pulled in before they stop. :eek:

I have too experienced being stuck in gear but not that often.

over here i believe they teach new riders to use only brakes to slow down and then change down quickly through the gears with the clutch pulled in before they stop. :eek:

IIRC, that's what's in the user manual as well: downshifting through the gears at very low speed. Meh...to heck with the manual, and this guy ----> :rtfm:

If it helps, sometimes as I work my way down, I'll go down only as far as neutral, quickly hit the friction point with the clutch and pull it back in, and then go into first just as I'm gliding to a stop, seems to make things nice and smooth. Or it could all be in my head. :eyebrow:

@Boneman: yep, it's true that straight mineral oil is pretty primitive as a lubricant! I still use WD-40 though..maybe I just like the smell. ;) What I want to know is: who was the first person to try dousing their bait with the stuff, thinking fish would like it???:confused:

I have always done that too, (changing through the gears) but over here i believe they teach new riders to use only brakes to slow down and then change down quickly through the gears with the clutch pulled in before they stop. :eek:

I have too experienced being stuck in gear but not that often.

That's what the instructors said at the MSF course, claiming "brakes are cheaper than a transmission".
However, slamming through 4 gears at once is a lot worse on the transmission than using effective engine braking.

It does take a little bit more practice and learning to use effective engine braking though, so maybe that's why they don't teach it to new riders.

Could you not just use some of your chain lube instead of WD-40? I always have it on hand, where sometimes I do not have anything else. Just curious. Thoughts?

If there are not any issues with using the chain lube, I might use it to lube the bike.

Sorry to :hijack:, but it was brought up.

Last edited:
I have the same problem if I don't shift all the down before I stop (I get it all the time when doing stoppies...). I usually either roll the bike forward a bit or barely let the clutch out so it clicks then shift.

Back