Transferring information from PC to laptop?

Bren

Reaction score
Visit site
I have yet another problem. (Like I didn't have them enough to start with...) Anyway, here's the situation: I have some files in my old PC that I need to get into my laptop. The old PC has Win98 and no wireless appliance and it's not online.

I've tried USB memory stick, but it won't work in the old PC without a driver, which of course I don't have. So what's the next step? Some kind of cross wiring (cross connexion) cable? Or should I try to connect the computers with cable modem.

Any help would be appreciated. :eek:

Mirkka

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd try harder to find those drivers on the net. Another option is parallel connection but the cable is more expensive than a USB stick and it is slow as hell.

I'd buy a new USB drive if the old one doesn't work. You'll find it handy anyways, so it's not a waste of money. New USB drives usualy come with their drivers

bikerider

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
USB drive is the best way to go. fast and easy. you can find drivers on the net for free most of the time if you need them. :Sport:

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
Here are my 2 recommendations ranked from simplest to less simple:

1. If you are handy with a screw driver you could just pull your old hard drive and plug it into an external USB enclosure. Then you can connect it to your laptop like a regular old USB drive and pull whatever files you want off of it.
Link: Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

2. If your win98 box has a network card you could buy a cross-over ethernet cable (not to be confused with a straight-through ethernet cable) and then just plug them together and setup an office network between the two. Copying files is as easy as setting up a shared folder.
Link: Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

3. Pay the geeksquad (or other international equivalent) to do it, they'll charge you $100 to do option #1.

Shoot me a PM if you need details or whatnot.

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have yet another problem....
Mirkka

How much data are we talking about?

What version of Win98 is it?
(type winver from a command prompt or the run box off the start menu)
Does it have a network interface and has it be used?

Does it have a parallel/printer port?

Does your new computer have a parallel port?

Do they both have floppy drives?

Bren

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you guys for your help. It seems that this problem has been solved.

At first I was actually thinking Shaggys second suggestion since it's probably something I could have done (almost) succesfully. Though pulling out the hard drive sounded much more fun. But I decided to search for the USB driver once more.

To my big surprise I got the old PC online with it's network card. I found a general USB memory driver and installed it. So now I got the USB memory stick working and the files (mostly horrid old pictures :p ) transferred. Now I can get rid of the old PC. (And maybe pull it's hard drive out just for the fun of it.)

Jolly good that I have this one solved. The laptops WLAN died today... :banghead: :surrender: (who said life was easy)