Traded FZ6 and sold some parts; new bike.

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry for the delay folks. Been busy trying to get the sold aftermarket parts shipped. I hate mail order due to delays and I hope that I can reduce that delay for those who bought.

I took off most of the after market stuff and traded the 2008 FZ6 (almost stock). I had a lot of fun with it and will miss that bike -- the mods/modding, fun just riding the heck out of it, and discussions about problems, issues, mods, etc. I always had that super sport thing in my head and everything I did to the bike was to make it more of a super sport. The bike ended up as a great machine.

Here's what I got:

2009 Yamaha R6 (black and gold). Well red matched my race suit (but I'll rarely wear it), I love blue (but it was just a little to light for me), the black just looked so sexy, I figured if I didn't get it, I'd always be thinking about it (plus, finally my helmet matches -- Shoei Strife :D).

I really love new bikes because I like learning how to really ride them and getting them setup; I hate new bikes because it takes time to get them to where you want them and break in sucks.

First day, this bike felt like I was leaning forward; turns and hanging off felt so unnatural. Break in and keeping it under 8.3K RPM (plus varying RPM) was tough esp. on the highway; I was also trying to break in the brakes so I'm rev'ing, braking, etc. I kept leaning too far forward and blipping the throttle accidentally. Shifting was inconsistent -- maybe it's just a new bike feel? This bike sucked.

Second day, I adjusted front/rear preload (using someone else's settings who weighs close to my weight). I also adjust shift rod; tried to go to work and couldn't even shift to third gear -- I kept envisioning a visit to the dealer, etc. I go back home and adjust the shift rod the other direction and now I can shift. I ride and the feel is too rough. I stop again for fuel and reduce front preload a little and adjust the shift rod to remove the little bit of play between my foot and the shifter. Woohoo! now I can shift and it's smooth.

Third day (today), I have 200 miles on it so now I'm opening it up just a little more. This bike feels very natural now and shifting is super smooth most of the time -- still a little learning curve here. Hanging off feels more natural and I'm not feeling like I'm leaning forward. This bike really rocks :rockon:; now I understand when they say it's a razor sharp cornering machine. It corners precisely like a scalpel; quite amazing. I think this bike feels most natural when it's leaned over (it seems to like that position).

Bottom line, it needed some adjustments (but that's what I love/hate about new bikes). Oh, I put my speedohealer on (removed from the FZ6) and now I have a real speedometer. I'm looking into a fender eliminator soon.

My back is working on adapting to hunching over and I'm working on ways to relax it while riding. I haven't gone on a long ride yet but I'm working my way up. My thighs are a little sore from squeezing the tank (I think I need a Thighmaster) but I'll work on that too. Back of my neck is getting better -- I'm getting a double bubble shield to help this.

Anyway, really fun bike.

Today was pretty hot here in NH and sun was good so it was a good time to take pics. I think I need to work on my tan :D.

4488474440_a737498385.jpg

4488474690_628679c4fa.jpg

4488474588_47f0ffbcb1.jpg

4488474516_f43735d69c.jpg

Dennis

sixsix

Reaction score
Visit site
Sweet looking machine, I really like the black/gold combo. Why stay with the 600 tho? I know not everyone needs a litre bike, but just curious as to why you stuck with the 600.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Dennis,
Congratulations! Way cool!

EDIT: I also didn't know how I was going to live in the new forward position on my new bike but I've done an 8 hr day of riding with just a lunch and gas breaks and was okay. There was an adjustment period and I've ridden with lots of super sports and gleaned some helpful body positioning to help relieve fatigue. Best of riding!

Last edited:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats Dennis! That is PURE SEX for a machine! How I wish I could handle the ergos of the R1. FZ only for "Gramps" here.

We'll have to plan a ride and meet up so I can see that surgical tool in action. Beautiful trade-up! :thumbup:

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Gotta say I have always hated gold on bikes.

The black/gold R6 is the only one that looks good.

Your bike looks amazing - very jealous.

MRGM

Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome choice!

I just got back from North Carolina with my 07 R6. It's a blast in the mountains and I love the ability to adjust the suspension.

picture.php

adiorio

Reaction score
Visit site
that bike is hott!!! And to the question bout why did he stay with a 600. why not? 600 is plenty fast!! I no next year when i have the money, im going to be getting a triumph daytona 675, which is proby slower than the r6. But im a small guy 5'8 135lbs never even considered a liter. The reason i goin to a new bike is the same reason as the OP i the super sport bike. I ride with ss bikes and i just feel out of place.

But again OP Congrats that Bike is sweet!!!!:rockon:

knightrider

Reaction score
Visit site
that bike is hott!!! And to the question bout why did he stay with a 600. why not? 600 is plenty fast!!

I feel the same way. Don't know if I'll ever get a liter bike, 600 is a great amount of power.

My friend has an 08 R6 that I had to pick up for him before he had his license. It's a great bike, looked nice, it had a crazy electronic acceleration sound. Very fun bike, great color you picked too.

Cochiez

Reaction score
Visit site
I've loved R6s since before they donated the old engine to our fizzers. Great looking bike, surgical precision in the twisties, and plenty of power. I'd love to own one, but they don't agree with my 6'3 frame.

sixsix

Reaction score
Visit site
I've loved R6s since before they donated the old engine to our fizzers. Great looking bike, surgical precision in the twisties, and plenty of power. I'd love to own one, but they don't agree with my 6'3 frame.

yeah I'm 6'5" and I can't ride any of the 600 supersport bikes for a long time. I rode a cbr600rr for like 15 min and I kept getting cramps in my legs. The 600's do have plenty enough power tho, but most people do tend to "upgrade" after comming off of a 600.

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
Sweet looking machine, I really like the black/gold combo. Why stay with the 600 tho? I know not everyone needs a litre bike, but just curious as to why you stuck with the 600.

Thanks.

I love 600s -- you can wring 'em out and have fun with them and rev the heck out of them to get the power. They are lighter and just more fun for playing.

I had a CBR1000RR once before. Although a fantastic machine, I felt that I could not really use the whole thing (unless I had a ton of room). So much torque and so easy to go faster than my skill level. It's wonderful (esp. for speed) but it isn't nearly as fun. Plus gas mileage is annoyingly low and insurance is high.

Dennis

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
Dennis,
Congratulations! Way cool!

EDIT: I also didn't know how I was going to live in the new forward position on my new bike but I've done an 8 hr day of riding with just a lunch and gas breaks and was okay. There was an adjustment period and I've ridden with lots of super sports and gleaned some helpful body positioning to help relieve fatigue. Best of riding!

Thanks. You'll have to give some pointers on those positions to help me rest my back. I switch between using my back and laying on my tank bag. Any other suggestions?

Dennis

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats Dennis! That is PURE SEX for a machine! How I wish I could handle the ergos of the R1. FZ only for "Gramps" here.

We'll have to plan a ride and meet up so I can see that surgical tool in action. Beautiful trade-up! :thumbup:

Thanks and yes, I hope we can get together again for a group ride.

The ergos are a little change but I think I'm getting used to it -- but that remains to be seen as I haven't done any multi hour rides yet. That was one big advantage to the FZ -- you can sit up if you get tired.

Dennis

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome choice!

I just got back from North Carolina with my 07 R6. It's a blast in the mountains and I love the ability to adjust the suspension.

Thanks. And that pic is just sweet; I can't wait to take it to more interesting twisties.

Dennis

jrevans

Old-School Member
Reaction score
jrevans.fbody.com
Sweet new bike!

Sweet new bike, especially in those colors.

I may be biased since I'm originally from the Pittsburgh area, but you need to put some Steelers, Pirates and Penguins stickers on that thing. :)