Trackday! Willow Springs - Friday the 13th

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome writeup there David! What year is your GSX-R again?

Who was the pro that set up your suspension, did they get it right the first time or did you have them tweak it after you came back in, and how much did it cost?

Were your tires brand new and if so how long did it take to break them in?

I agree your form looks very good. If you just stuck your knee out you'd be knee down though I agree w/ your assessment that it should NOT be an objective, but a natural occurrence when everything else is going well. I am not an expert by any stretch, but others might say "keep your chin down closer to the bars". :Flash:

Looking good man! I'll be out at the big Willow track in 3 weeks, woo hoo! On the FZ6 unless I get my track bike before then, LOL!

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome writeup there David! What year is your GSX-R again?

Who was the pro that set up your suspension, did they get it right the first time or did you have them tweak it after you came back in, and how much did it cost?

Were your tires brand new and if so how long did it take to break them in?

I agree your form looks very good. If you just stuck your knee out you'd be knee down though I agree w/ your assessment that it should NOT be an objective, but a natural occurrence when everything else is going well. I am not an expert by any stretch, but others might say "keep your chin down closer to the bars". :Flash:

Looking good man! I'll be out at the big Willow track in 3 weeks, woo hoo! On the FZ6 unless I get my track bike before then, LOL!

Hey Mark you missed our Poker party yesterday!

The gixxer is an '05: more details here: http://www.600riders.com/forum/racing-forum/12737-my-new-track-bike-d.html

Suspension was setup by the guy from Catalyst... check them out here: http://catalystsuspension.com/
I believe they're at all trackdaz events.
I paid $20 for a one time setup based on your weight... you can pay $40 for the whole day, so you can go talk to him between sessions and he'll make adjustments... I did not go that route because I figured I wouldn't know sh*t about what to tell him between sessions lol... I mean, I am not good enough (at all) to be able to provide accurate and relevant suspension feedback information... that'll have to wait until I get much much better...
Plus it was my first time riding this bike, so again, before being able to provide feedback on the behavior of the suspension, I had to get used to the baseline feel of the bike first, which pretty much took the whole day...

To tell you the truth, at our level of skill, I don't think we need to worry too much about the slight suspension adjustments yet... I think that as long as it is set properly for your weight, you can forget about it and focus on the proper line, braking points, shifting points, entry and exit speeds etc...

My tires (Michelin Pilot Powers) were not brand new... I had done one trackday at Buttonwillow with them on the Buell back in December... they also had about 2k miles on the streets on the Buell... now I did another trackday with them on the Gixxer, and will get another trackday out of them (they'll be done after that one).
I will go with the BT002s next time though as they're cheaper and just as good, if not better for the track (per John who's been using them on his R1)...

You'll be on Big Willow on 4/17 with trackdaz? I just checked that even out and it's sold out for group B and C....

We're thinking about going back there on May 2nd (Saturday)... to be confirmed... http://trackdaz.com/ti/trackdaz/catgroup.html?category=02 May 2009 @ Willow Springs&id=fKPrRZZa