Trackday High Res pics - Buttonwillow - 12/6/08

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
That really not that bad for the price. Thots are nice and crisp. I dont know that I would charge that much for a low res, but w/e.

Gotta think about the hours and $$ he has tied up in equipment. DSLR body's and lenses arent cheap by any means.

Glad ya had fun. Thanks for posting.

-bryan

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
That really not that bad for the price. Thots are nice and crisp. I dont know that I would charge that much for a low res, but w/e.

Gotta think about the hours and $$ he has tied up in equipment. DSLR body's and lenses arent cheap by any means.

Glad ya had fun. Thanks for posting.

-bryan

Yup and $75 in CA probably goes as far as $20 in NC.

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not really on the topic of your track day, but how are you liking that Buell? Hows the maint. costs, fuel mileage, etc? How long do those drive belts usually last? Hows the torque? Sorry, I've just been dreaming of riding something lately that has gobs of go down low, like right now. When I had my RM125 and my buddies dad had a YZ426f that I rode more than anyone, I loved getting on it and just having the torque, right now like. Is it like that at all compared to the FZ? Sorry for all the questions just curious about torquey v-twins...maybe it's just a phase I'm going through

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Not really on the topic of your track day, but how are you liking that Buell? Hows the maint. costs, fuel mileage, etc? How long do those drive belts usually last? Hows the torque? Sorry, I've just been dreaming of riding something lately that has gobs of go down low, like right now. When I had my RM125 and my buddies dad had a YZ426f that I rode more than anyone, I loved getting on it and just having the torque, right now like. Is it like that at all compared to the FZ? Sorry for all the questions just curious about torquey v-twins...maybe it's just a phase I'm going through

I absolutely LOVE the Buell!!! It is very comfy, I really like the v-twin feel, and it fits me like a glove :)

Maintenance costs: I do my oil/filter changes myself, so costs are very low. It is VERY easy to access both the engine and tranny oil, along with the oil filter, so changes are a breeze (15-20min). That's about the only maintenance you'll ever have to do on the Buell, as there is no valve adjustment (self-adjusting valves FTW), no lubing the chain, no adjusting the belt or anything... even changing the tires is easier than the typical Jap bike (no need to align or adjust anything, as Buell made it all plug and play).

Fuel mileage: In the city I get 40mpg, riding quite aggressive. On the freeway I have seen close to 50mpg. MPG increases quite dramatically as you pile on the miles on the v-twin... some ppl on the Buell forum are seeing 50+ mpg consistently, but I ride pretty hard in general (I don't try to save gas at all).

Belt drive has a lifetime warranty on it :) they made some real good improvements in the past few years and Goodyear claims their belts will last a lifetime. The manual states that NO maintenance is required on the belt ever.

The torque: I LOVE IT!!!! I`ve always owned inline 4 bikes, so riding the v-twin took some getting used to, but once you have it down, it's really a blast... the torque is basically everywhere, and it makes for much less shifting and less hectic ride (at least for me). After my last FZ, I knew I wanted a change... I wanted to avoid having to hit 8-10k rpm to feel some pull, so I knew a v-twin was going to be my next bike and I am not disappointed by the 1200cc. I considered the Triumph Street & Speed triple, but both of them still require 8-10k to get to their max power, so I ended up with a true push-rod v-twin which is currently stoking me, especially for the streets.
I will certainly stick to the I-4 for a track bike though... but an older RC51 or Aprilia is not completely out of the question.

Last edited:

Shinn

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks beautiful man. I want your helmet too. Glad to hear you love the bike. Dad was thinking of adding another bike to our FZ collection, sounds like the buell might be a good choice.

How did your bike compare to other bikes? Here in Canada we have an a thunder cup which has all v-twins over 1000cc as long as they are air cooled race. The XBR Firebolt wins all the time, but I have not actually seen a lightning race in it.

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks beautiful man. I want your helmet too. Glad to hear you love the bike. Dad was thinking of adding another bike to our FZ collection, sounds like the buell might be a good choice.

How did your bike compare to other bikes? Here in Canada we have an a thunder cup which has all v-twins over 1000cc as long as they are air cooled race. The XBR Firebolt wins all the time, but I have not actually seen a lightning race in it.

Well it's difficult to compare my bike with others since I think it's mainly about rider skills, especially in group C where the skill range is wide (yes, it was awesome to pass ppl on 1000RR, liter Gixxers etc...), but I feel like the Buell can easily keep up with the 1000cc supersports in the tight part of the track... the front straight was typically where I could see the main difference over 110mph, where most supersports still have a LOT of power to give, while my Buell starts to have a hard time :)
I don't really care to go fast in a straight line though, so being able to catch up to the big guys in the tight parts made me feel good :D It'll be interesting to see how I do in Group B next time...

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
haha nice! my budget for the track bike will be around $3k though... I`ll be looking for 2001-2004 bikes...

Thanks though! :thumbup:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Have to agree, those are some great shots. Buttonwillow, is this the area just past the Grapevine off of I-5?

gonecrazy

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice pics..just a little help from looking at the pics, you need to get you upper body/head about wear the mirrors normally are when cornering. looks like you have your upper half going the oppsite way you are turning.

also there is a track ready 600rr out your way on another racer forum I use for 3000.00 let me know if you are intrested and I will shout you the info

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
the front straight was typically where I could see the main difference over 110mph, where most supersports still have a LOT of power to give, while my Buell starts to have a hard time :)
I don't really care to go fast in a straight line though, so being able to catch up to the big guys in the tight parts made me feel good :D

Not familiar w/ this track but there are lots of 100+ MPH turn opportunities out there...just gotta twist the throttle :D Does your bike really start to fall off at 110MPH??? Not that this is a problem...it just surprises me.

It'll be interesting to see how I do in Group B next time...

They let you choose what group you're in?

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh no, no, no. Here's the one.

eBay Motors: Yamaha : YZF-R (item 330292839847 end time Dec-14-08 18:54:46 PST)

If I was still working this would be at the house.

Nice pics..just a little help from looking at the pics, you need to get you upper body/head about wear the mirrors normally are when cornering. looks like you have your upper half going the oppsite way you are turning.

also there is a track ready 600rr out your way on another racer forum I use for 3000.00 let me know if you are intrested and I will shout you the info

thanks for the advice! I need to work on that :)

for the bike, I am not ready to buy just yet... early next year though :rockon:

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Not familiar w/ this track but there are lots of 100+ MPH turn opportunities out there...just gotta twist the throttle :D Does your bike really start to fall off at 110MPH??? Not that this is a problem...it just surprises me.

They let you choose what group you're in?

Well the Buell will go 135mph, probably even a bit more, but when I hit 110mph is where a lot of liter ss bikes will pass me in pure acceleration... from 110 to 130 is not bad, but not enough against the big guns and their almost endless rpm range :)

And yes, they let you pick your group... but they will let you know if you need to go back down a step heh...

Last edited: