Track Day Prep

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Did I miss anything?

About tires, Are street tires good for track or specifically we have to buy new ones?
I don't do much of tracks, but often few twisties over the weekend.
My front one is brand new and the rear one is still original, thought of changing after the summer. Any suggestions on tires for 80% city driving with occasional twisties and very rare track..!

Thank You.

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
About tires, Are street tires good for track or specifically we have to buy new ones?
My front one is brand new and the rear one is still original, thought of changing after the summer. Any suggestions on tires for 80% city driving with occasional twisties and very rare track..!

Thank You.

There will be as many opinions about tires as there are tires.
I do the same kind of riding that you do, and I went with Avon Storms, and I like them a lot.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Thank You.
What group are you riding in?

If your C group or just getting into B group any good modern street tire is good. If you are a faster B group rider or in A group you'll want a tire like a Q3.

Modern tires are very good. I've seen riders in adventure bikes with OEM tires do some amazing street riding. The key is the tires a in very good condition.

I've done track days on my old FZ6 on Pirelli Diablos which is a good all around street tire. They warm up fast and slide predictably. I do prefer Q3s however. They are like velcro and reasonably priced.

Something to think about, the cost of a new set of tires is less expensive than any crash.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
What group are you riding in?

If your C group or just getting into B group any good modern street tire is good. If you are a faster B group rider or in A group you'll want a tire like a Q3.

Modern tires are very good. I've seen riders in adventure bikes with OEM tires do some amazing street riding. The key is the tires a in very good condition.

I've done track days on my old FZ6 on Pirelli Diablos which is a good all around street tire. They warm up fast and slide predictably. I do prefer Q3s however. They are like velcro and reasonably priced.

Something to think about, the cost of a new set of tires is less expensive than any crash.

Hello, this would be my first track ride in my life time.
I have experience with bad roads, weaving high traffic, sudden stops due to buffalo/small child/an old person walking in the middle of the road suddenly from nowhere, back in India :D. Unfortunately, that doesn't count as any track experience, so, I have to settle with group C I guess.
I tried looking for an advanced course or a bike bonding course through MSF, but no luck within 200 miles of my current location. My plan is to get that kind of experience over this weekend with my trip to "tail of dragon" and other similar roads.
The guy who sold this bike to me a couple of months ago, changed the tire for inspection in Feb, 2015 (will check and get back to the brand and style of tire). The rear is stock and needs replacement, being said, it is 2008 OEM.
Most of the people on this site suggested Q3s so, I might order one for myself.

pulsar2

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The rear is stock and needs replacement, being said, it is 2008 OEM.
Most of the people on this site suggested Q3s so, I might order one for myself.

Do it before you head to dragons tail - for two reasons: 1. Safety 2. To enjoy the ride without having to worry about a sliding rear (unless you are comfortable sliding the rear aka MM style).

For records, I just changed my 2 year old tires (> 10k miles) and found the new ones a lot more enjoyable and confidence inspiring because of the new rubber and fresh tread.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Do it before you head to dragons tail - for two reasons: 1. Safety 2. To enjoy the ride without having to worry about a sliding rear (unless you are comfortable sliding the rear aka MM style).

For records, I just changed my 2 year old tires (> 10k miles) and found the new ones a lot more enjoyable and confidence inspiring because of the new rubber and fresh tread.

I chose to go with Q3 and looking for the best price.
People around me want 50$ for mounting, if I didn't buy form them and they're adding that price if I buy from them and more expensive than online price.

Found this website, which the by far the cheapest price for q3..!
https://www.denniskirk.com/544399.sku?utm_source=pricegrabber&utm_medium=cse

And if that website is bad for business, I prefer BikeBandit with CHAIN25 coupon to get a free chain brush (on purchase of 25$) and free ground shipping
Dunlop Sportmax Q3 Motorcycle Tire - BikeBandit.com

and this one is suggested couple of years old poll form our website:
Michelin Pilot Power 2 CT Rear Motorcycle Tire | Tires and Wheels | Rocky Mountain ATV/MC

Do any of you guys have bad experiences with denniskirk or does that website sounds fishy?
https://www.denniskirk.com/include/tire_mounting_text.jsp

Please support.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
Q3's are very sticky tires, which is good for track days, but bad for street riding, since they will wear very quickly. Pirelli Angels or Michelin Pilot Roads will be plenty sticky enough for your level of riding. They might be more expensive, but they will last you twice as long. Here's some pics of my friend Darek riding on track in the fastest group with Pirelli Angels on his FZ6, since his GSXR track-only bike wasn't available that day. http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...med-kick-stand-drags-before-center-stand.html

As far as mounting and balancing, 25-30 per wheel is a standard good price if you bring in the wheels off the bike.

As far as the track-prep list in the first post, a lot of that is overkill and not needed for most organizations. For any riders considering a track day, don't be intimidated by that list. Here's a list of the bike prep required with the organization that I usually ride with. Bike Preparation

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Q3's are very sticky tires, which is good for track days, but bad for street riding, since they will wear very quickly. Pirelli Angels or Michelin Pilot Roads will be plenty sticky enough for your level of riding. They might be more expensive, but they will last you twice as long. Here's some pics of my friend Darek riding on track in the fastest group with Pirelli Angels on his FZ6, since his GSXR track-only bike wasn't available that day. http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...med-kick-stand-drags-before-center-stand.html

As far as mounting and balancing, 25-30 per wheel is a standard good price if you bring in the wheels off the bike.

As far as the track-prep list in the first post, a lot of that is overkill and not needed for most organizations. For any riders considering a track day, don't be intimidated by that list. Here's a list of the bike prep required with the organization that I usually ride with. Bike Preparation

Thank You Matt, I called the track people and they mentioned, I just need to use painters tape, as I fall in Novice or Intermediate category.
And for the tires, the difference is about 60$, so I'm going with Michelins P Road 3 or 4, as it has better reviews on the P-Angels. I'm looking for mileage and long tread life.

0l0dom0l0

Reaction score
Visit site
Pilot road 3 or 4 will be fine for any novice trackday rider.

There is plenty of grip - more than enough to get your knee down (which is what everyone wants right?)

I've got my knee down and done trackdays on 3 different sets of tyres.

First set were Bridgestone BT023 -Never had any problems, more than enough grip. Handled everything well - had my peg down on the first lap out from stone cold.

BT023 Front and Pilot road 2 rear - Not as happy with this set up, the rear let go on me and nearly high sided me with no warning I was near the limit of the tyre. I wasn't even accelerating very hard.

Metzler racetec slicks - in a different world compared with the two sets above. The difference in grip was incredible, feedback was amazing. To the point where I was flat out pinned on the stop with my knee down coming out of a turn - had confidence to do this as well.

For track riding now I've found the limit on road tyres and I've got a set of racetecs on the bike - but I've done about 6 or 7 trackdays now.

So you will be fine on something like a pilot road.

Also you don't need to take the side stand off, I saw it mentioned earlier in the thread. You scrape the peg before you scrape the side stand. With aftermarket rear sets you might need to take the stand off - not sure.