Track Day On Everyday Tires

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, so, I did some basic searching but haven't found a thread that would answer my question. Here is the situation: I'm considering doing a track day (for the first time, hence the possibly silly question) and am wondering if I can do it on my everyday tires (2-year old PR2s with relatively easy 4k miles on them) or should I look into track tires, which by itself may put kibosh on the idea of the track day this year, depending on the price of tires.

More details: I'm planning on doing Tony's track day at NHMS (Loudon) in October - from what I gather, it's more technical track with lots of turns. I do not think I'm going to be doing track days very frequently - maybe once or twice a year if I really like it.

What say you?

Separately - has anybody here done NHMS and Tony's Track Days? any suggestions/recommendations/warnings?

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
I did a day on a worn out pair of BT021's, you should be fine with the PR2's. On track you only really use the tyre edges, the only issue I had was the tyre was a bit squared off, and going into corners took a bit of getting used to.

If you're an advanced rider you might have issues, but you wouldn't be asking this if you were ;)

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I did a day on a worn out pair of BT021's, you should be fine with the PR2's. On track you only really use the tyre edges, the only issue I had was the tyre was a bit squared off, and going into corners took a bit of getting used to.

If you're an advanced rider you might have issues, but you wouldn't be asking this if you were ;)

What? No Blue (Advanced) Group for me? ;-) Thanks for the info!

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
The track days I have done require a "tech" inspection where they want to see relatively new tires/tread or you won't be riding, so you may want to check the policy before going. I had no problems with the PR2 on the track but they were new.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
in the UK they just check if you are wearing the briefing wristband, and if you have the right stickers on your bike

DarkNinja75

Professional Poster
Reaction score
Visit site
It's fine. I did a trackday on my BT-023s (sport touring) and they worked well. The only time you'll really need track/sport oriented tires is when you move into A group.

Baci

Reaction score
Visit site
Great question, I was wondering this myself. Glad to know I can save a few bucks not getting tires! Getting full leathers alone was a nice eye opener of cost. However I think I need to do track days to satisfy my need for speed........getting thrown in jail for doing 100+ MPH on the highway does not really sounds like something I want to encounter....plus the cages are scary.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
the only issue with road tyres is they don't cope with the temps quite as well, so will wear a lot quicker than a more track focussed tyre. The advantage though is they are a bit less temperature sensitive.

OneCheekRider

One Cheek On The Seat!
Reaction score
Visit site
You should be fine if there's plenty of tread - your first day at the track will likely be slow(er) and should be focused on improving your body position and lines with a Rider Coach provided by the track day organization. Just remember to check your tire pressures right after every session as they are likely to increase as your speed and the track/air temp rise throughout the day (assuming it's sunny).

btw NHMS is a fun track!

Last edited:

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A different question - so I'm heading to NHMS, and am wondering - I live in NYC and am considering riding up to NH the day before with a buddy of mine who will take his car. So i'm riding 300 miles the day before and then considering taking the same bike onto the track - do you think that's doable (again, I am a beginner, and I'm usually not the type to push limits on the first day on the track)?

Alternatively, i can ride up and rent an R6 or (more likely) a ninja 500. The upside of this - i dont have to worry about prepping the bike, but it's not my bike i'm taking onto the track.

What say you?

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
For the tires:

Grip levels will be adequate for what you're going to be doing.

The issue will arise with tire temperatures. Depending on the layout of the track, how hard you push the tires, and track conditions, you may find the tires beginning to overheat. If this happens they start to get a bit greasy. But as long as you're managing your throttle smoothly, even if this happens you'll be able to manage the rear squirming around a little bit.

As for riding 300 miles the day before:

Just give the bike a thorough once over, clean the chain, make sure your tire pressures are good, etc. It's better to run water with water wetter instead of coolant but if you can't then you can't. It is a trackday and people do run with coolant.

Renting a bike is always a good option too. But you don't have to there's no reason you can't run your own bike.

Have fun.

Smersh

The Pillaging Tatar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, Lone - appreciate the information. This is my first track day, so I dont think I'll be pushing the limits much, still I'll keep your suggestion in mind.

Yes, i see renting as last option, really - I want to take MY bike on the track, not a rental (not to say that I won't have fun with a rental)

rdrManny

Reaction score
Visit site
For first time I think you are good with PR2. Get a painters tape and tape all lights/mirrors (to block distraction to you and others).

Trailoring is best option than riding to&from track. Check TD specific forums and post for ride-share..
Here is one from absolutecycle.com (good folks)Ride Share Section - Absolute Cycle Forums - Page 1
And this one i stumbled on, which I think is great option Motorcycle Trackday Ride Share - MOTO-D Racing

Edit: Here one from NESBA. http://tracktalk.nesba.com/

Last edited:

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I look at it this way. $250 on tires, or $1000 in body work. New tires are the best insurance you can buy for the track.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Taking it easy on the tires should be ok.

Riding your bike back and forth is doable but keep in mind it will be more taxable on you!!!!!
Track days are a lot of fun and you get to learn a lot!!! I just did one in a car, but time goes by fast and as you are learning more things and getting used to everything (which for the first time all is new) it is likely you won't have a lot of time left to dedicate to the bike unless you have somebody else that can help you with that.

I can understand you wanting to ride your own bike, and for this you need to dedicate more time to it.
You want to be relaxed to be able to concentrate and absorb as much as possible, always keeping it fun and safe.
Another factor is if, you drop the bike, it might not be perfectly rideable back home, just keep this in mind.
A lot of things to consider.

Either way just go and do it. Have fun and keep it safe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ctbandit

Fazer, don't even know er
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey SMERSH. I've berm doing Tony's days for years and started with him. You'll really enjoy his first time program. I just did a day in NH with his group on pirelli angel gets at a faster yellow pace without issue soyou will definitely be fine. As far as riding goes, you can definitely ride to the track the day before, stay over after the track day and ride home the day after. I wouldn't recommend riding home the night after a track day though since you will be sooo tired. A better scenario would be to carpool with someone who could trailer your bike up and back for you. Then worst case scenario if you go down and its not rideable you can still get home. Tony had a forum for rude sharing, or I would check out bandofriders.net , a lot of Connecticut based Rider's and many people who do track days with Tony's there so you can find a ride.

May I ask why October?

ctbandit

Fazer, don't even know er
Reaction score
Visit site
Also. Prep is super easy. Bring some painters tape with you and but a house champ in your oil filter before hand and you should be good. If you want to, take off your blinkers and mirror. Less to replace if you go down lol.