Touring Impressions

larryinpa

Reaction score
Visit site
I did two trips this month; they're my first multi-day trips. The first one was a 2 day trip up to Catskill, NY and the Hudson River valley; approx 215 miles each day - total trip 430 miles.

Second one was riding 2 up to Baltimore for an overnight; total trip approx 260 miles.

Both were fun trips. I found my FZ6 more comfortable that expected; no specific complaint regarding riding position, seat, etc. BUT, I do get what I'd call "road weary". I don't think I could physically do more than 300 miles in a day, max and question my ability to do 300 mile days back to back.

So how do you guys do it? Granted, I'm getting old - but I know there are guys on this forum older and can ride long distances. any tips, pointers, etc? I do take breaks ever 1-1 1/2 hours and try to stay reasonably hydrated. My goal is to ride down to Asheville, NC later this year - but that trip looks daunting...

manas12

Reaction score
Visit site
Here's a helpful tip on how to relax on a motorcycle [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk6MJs79zLs]YouTube - Crazy guy texting, laying down, and driving a motorcycle![/ame]

:spank: :ban:

But seriously, I have never done anything longer than you just mentioned, and I also feel the exact same weariness. I get off the bike and do a walk about for say 10 mins trying to heal my aching butt and then hop on again. Repeat procedure for every 75-100 miles.

HowlFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Starting Memorial Day weekend, a buddy and I rode from Detroit, to Las Vegas, to Salt Lake City, back to Detroit. The total trip was 4400 miles. My azz was sore, but I will say the following helped:

1) Dress for success - having layers available to add and remove as weather conditions change certainly helps keep you sharp and comfortable. It's tough to concentrate on the road while experiencing driving rain in shorts and a t-shirt. ATGATT

2) Take breaks often - Both our bikes had a 200 mile range per tank if we kept the speeds below 85mph. We stopped every 100 miles to rest, or rest and refuel.

3) Conversation - We had headsets and could communicate while we were riding. This was a great way to coordinate stops and rage about loony drivers and kept our attention away from counting the road markers. It makes the trip go by that much faster.

4) Throttle Lock - This is a critical mod for long distance touring. My buddy had a fancy Throttlemeister and I had some crappy $12 grip clamp. Both performed the same task and I would recommend either as a bare minimum touring mod.

There's probably more. Hope this helps.

larryinpa

Reaction score
Visit site
Starting Memorial Day weekend, a buddy and I rode from Detroit, to Las Vegas, to Salt Lake City, back to Detroit. The total trip was 4400 miles. My azz was sore, but I will say the following helped:

1) Dress for success - having layers available to add and remove as weather conditions change certainly helps keep you sharp and comfortable. It's tough to concentrate on the road while experiencing driving rain in shorts and a t-shirt. ATGATT

2) Take breaks often - Both our bikes had a 200 mile range per tank if we kept the speeds below 85mph. We stopped every 100 miles to rest, or rest and refuel.

3) Conversation - We had headsets and could communicate while we were riding. This was a great way to coordinate stops and rage about loony drivers and kept our attention away from counting the road markers. It makes the trip go by that much faster.

4) Throttle Lock - This is a critical mod for long distance touring. My buddy had a fancy Throttlemeister and I had some crappy $12 grip clamp. Both performed the same task and I would recommend either as a bare minimum touring mod.

There's probably more. Hope this helps.

I already do 1&2, but thanks for the others. If you're riding solo, do you talk to yourself???

larryinpa

Reaction score
Visit site
Here's a helpful tip on how to relax on a motorcycle YouTube - Crazy guy texting, laying down, and driving a motorcycle!

:spank: :ban:

But seriously, I have never done anything longer than you just mentioned, and I also feel the exact same weariness. I get off the bike and do a walk about for say 10 mins trying to heal my aching butt and then hop on again. Repeat procedure for every 75-100 miles.

I usally break for at least 15-20 minutes, Except when I ride with my girl; she needs longer breaks.

Manx

Reaction score
Visit site
I did 450 miles in 9 hrs, with about 4 short breaks. Wasn't too bad, but really enjoyed a long soak in the bath afterwards....

pottie

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
:spank:...I thought I m the only one cant ride that long....
75-100 miles is perfect for each stop...no rush either...:thumbup:
Save the bun before tost all the way....LOL

HorizonChaser

Reaction score
Visit site
Longest road trip I did was Omaha, NE to San Diego, CA over the course of several days on my '05 FZ6. Five Days of actual riding with stops in Boulder, CO, Las Vegas, and LA to visit friends which is the other reason to be out riding. A few things that help quite a bit in my own experience, some of which have been mentioned already:

1. Throttle lock. I have a throttlemeister and it works amazingly well and is a welcome break for the throttle hand.

2. Seat pad. The FZ6's stock seat is not bad, but after the first day across Nebraska I decided I really wanted to go longer than an hour before my butt became numb. A good seat pad with shock/vibration absorbing gel in it made riding for several hours much more comfortable. That said, take breaks when you feel like you are zoning out or losing situational awareness. Surprises on the road are not a good thing.

3. Music. I always ride with my iPod and feel that great music makes a ride that much more enjoyable. I keep the volume at a nice balance between being able to listen to the music and hear how the engine is doing. This is personal preference and not everyone likes somethings competing with the sounds of the road and the bikes engine.

4. Stay off the Highways. This may just be me, but I really don't like riding on the major highways, no matter how much faster you can go. They are boring and there are many more inattentive cage drivers on them. I like taking the back winding ways as much as possible and that usually means a day or two of route planning before the ride.

5. Gear/accessories/tools. As has been said already, the proper gear and being able to layer it up or down as the conditions warrant makes a big difference. In the course of rides I have been drenched, frozen, and baked all in the same ride and being able to adjust increases comfort and riding awareness. Also, if you are traveling across the midwest in summer, pack a cleaner and towels for your wind-screen/helmet visor; it is amazing how many bugs even a small front area like a motorcycle and rider can pick up.

6. Water. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. It doesn't matter what riding conditions you are in, you are going to need to take breaks and drink water. This keeps you alert and healthy at anytime and if you are riding in hot/warm/dry areas, and just a t-shirt or other garment that exposes more skin than usual you will be dehydrating yourself even faster. I learned this the hard way across the badlands of Utah; pack plenty of water and drink it at every break whether you think you really need to or not.

Those are just my thoughts and opinions. Feel free to use or ignore as suites you best and enjoy the ride.

HorizonChaser

Reaction score
Visit site
Longest road trip I did was Omaha, NE to San Diego, CA over the course of several days on my '05 FZ6. Five Days of actual riding with stops in Boulder, CO, Las Vegas, and LA to visit friends which is the other reason to be out riding. A few things that help quite a bit in my own experience, some of which have been mentioned already:

1. Throttle lock. I have a throttlemeister and it works amazingly well and is a welcome break for the throttle hand.

2. Seat pad. The FZ6's stock seat is not bad, but after the first day across Nebraska I decided I really wanted to go longer than an hour before my butt became numb. A good seat pad with shock/vibration absorbing gel in it made riding for several hours much more comfortable. That said, take breaks when you feel like you are zoning out or losing situational awareness. Surprises on the road are not a good thing.

3. Music. I always ride with my iPod and feel that great music makes a ride that much more enjoyable. I keep the volume at a nice balance between being able to listen to the music and hear how the engine is doing. This is personal preference and not everyone likes somethings competing with the sounds of the road and the bikes engine.

4. Stay off the Highways. This may just be me, but I really don't like riding on the major highways, no matter how much faster you can go. They are boring and there are many more inattentive cage drivers on them. I like taking the back winding ways as much as possible and that usually means a day or two of route planning before the ride.

5. Gear/accessories/tools. As has been said already, the proper gear and being able to layer it up or down as the conditions warrant makes a big difference. In the course of rides I have been drenched, frozen, and baked all in the same ride and being able to adjust increases comfort and riding awareness. Also, if you are traveling across the midwest in summer, pack a cleaner and towels for your wind-screen/helmet visor; it is amazing how many bugs even a small front area like a motorcycle and rider can pick up.

6. Water. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. It doesn't matter what riding conditions you are in, you are going to need to take breaks and drink water. This keeps you alert and healthy at anytime and if you are riding in hot/warm/dry areas, and just a t-shirt or other garment that exposes more skin than usual you will be dehydrating yourself even faster. I learned this the hard way across the badlands of Utah; pack plenty of water and drink it at every break whether you think you really need to or not.

Those are just my thoughts and opinions. Feel free to use or ignore as suites you best and enjoy the ride.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just did my first short tour last week, too (see my thread in "Touring") and couldn't go more than 100 miles either at one stretch; did 475 miles over three days.
I'm afraid my main problem is being 6'5" on an FZ, my legs are fairly well folded up the whole time, and I can't slide back onto the pillion seat for a stretch when I have a tent/sleeping bag/clothes/food/cameras loaded. When I get a couple things paid off a BMW will be in my future, but I'll keep the FZ-6 for the local twisties!

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Ear plugs help, especially if you have to spend a lot of time on the highway.
I feel less tired when I have them on, plus I save myself from cumulative and permanent damage to my hearing.

I use Mack's Earplugs from CVS.

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I've posted about various rides elsewhere, but there's not much I'd add to what others have posted.

For me the key things are to take short breaks when possible (ideally every 100-120 miles, although I often go 180 if I need to get somewhere), earphones or earplugs at all times, a taller windshield, and stay hydrated. A throttle rocker is a MUST, although I'm not a fan of a throttle lock.

If you really want to pile on the miles, I suggest you do a TB sync if you haven't - it keeps the vibes down. I also swapped the front sprocket for a +1 to keep the revs lower on the highway. Highway pegs mounted on crash bars REALLY help after the first 200-300 miles.

With the stock seat I can do 400 miles a day pretty easily and 750+ if I push myself. Anything over 500 and I start to get pretty sore though. I'm getting a custom seat at the end of the season this year and I'm guessing I might be able to go much longer with that. At this point, the seat has become limiting for me.

Later in July I'm doing a 2800 mile ride in under a week and camping the whole trip. Can't wait! The FZ6 really can do it all.

xnay

Reaction score
Visit site
Get into better shape if you are not already. Riding can be hard on the body with all the bumps, wind, trafffic, and whatnot and long days are like endurance events. The better shape your body is in, the longer you'll be able to go and the more days of repetitive riding you'll be able to accomplish.

I also hook my legs up on the frame sliders from time to time on long easy stretches of road. :thumbup:

gearheadstu

Reaction score
Visit site
Lots of good stuff here already.

The one thing that saved my bacon over a 1400 mile week was amazingly simple: wear a CamelBak system and drink it dry over the course of at least each tank.

If all you're doing is drinking at fuel/scenery stops, you're not staying properly hydrated. It seems simple, but it was amazing to me to see how much longer I could go once I started riding with a constant supply of water.

The second big thing? Avoid multilane like its your job. In my eyes, slab == death, unless you're one of those IBA masochist types. ;) ALL of the good stuff is found on more casual, rural roads.

larryinpa

Reaction score
Visit site
Lots of good stuff here already.

The one thing that saved my bacon over a 1400 mile week was amazingly simple: wear a CamelBak system and drink it dry over the course of at least each tank.

If all you're doing is drinking at fuel/scenery stops, you're not staying properly hydrated. It seems simple, but it was amazing to me to see how much longer I could go once I started riding with a constant supply of water.

The second big thing? Avoid multilane like its your job. In my eyes, slab == death, unless you're one of those IBA masochist types. ;) ALL of the good stuff is found on more casual, rural roads.

I was going to wear a camelback, but didn't - should have. Unfortunately, avoiding multilane is tough in my area, but it's a great tip. thanks!

mayoke

Reaction score
Visit site
So far, my only complaint is my wrists get pretty sore. I did about 5 hours in the twisties up in North Georgia on Sunday. My shoulders were a little sore but my wrists hurt pretty good. I don't feel like I'm putting a lot of pressure on them. Maybe I'm just adjusting to it. The Magna was a cruiser so it was incredibly comfortable. (It also has MUCH more clearance than a normal cruiser and carved road really well.)

I'm 6' and 190. Work out 5 days a week so pretty good shape. *shrug* someone suggested I put a 1" riser and try that. I dunno but I love this bike! :thumbup: