touring and guns

would you carry a gun on a moto-tour trip??

• Hell Yea.. its my rigt to protect myself

Votes: 29 43.3%
  • No. I would rather not bring a gun

Votes: 26 38.8%
  • Maybe on some, maybe not on others...

Votes: 12 17.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hollywood416

Reaction score
Visit site
I think some would be surprised by the number of people that carry concealed weapons especially when in the backcountry. At one time I read a study that there were more violent crimes commited in National parks/wilderness areas than any other single type of area.
As far as the comment of a gun "inviting" trouble. Anyone that has good sense or been through defensive handgun training knows that brandishing a weapon is a felony in most states. You are tought in CWP training that if you never expose your weapon until you have the right to pull the trigger. You can put you hand on it, make it fairly obvious you have one to diffuse a situation if needed but you never expose it.
I am liscensed to carry in 35 of the 50 states and personally feel that if a state does not honor my right to carry then I can spend my tourism money elsewhere. It's not something I overly feel a "need" to do at 6'1" 260lbs. I can defend myself pretty well. Like many things in life though when the time comes and you do "need" it there is no substitute. I carry a gun because cops are just to heavy. I don't always carry it on my person but I ALWAYS have one with me.
When it comes to wilderness situations think about all the bear attacks every year and how many could be stopped simply by the sound of a gun shot....most animals run at the sound of gunfire even if your not shooting directly at them. If it comes down to it in nature it's survival of the fittest and a human is no match for even a small black bear much less a full grown Grizzly.

RZ350 Rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I have my CCW and my Kimber .45 in a shoulder holster when I ride. I do carry 24/7/365. I believe that people who "legally" carry weapons are more respectful of people and life itself, and conduct themselves better than most people out there. The law enforcement professionals in my town are where the above statement comes from.

RZ350 Rider

Cuba

Reaction score
Visit site
The northeast is not gun friendly! You live in CT, which I am assuming falls into the NY/MA category in that regard. In MA I couldn't even bring my guns into the state, let alone get a concealed permit even though I have one in PA. Reciprocity doesn't exist in New England. Get your permit in your home state and you can ask the sheriff for his advice when you pick it up. I doubt it would be possible to carry concealed in NY if you aren't a resident, unless you're a bounty hunter or something.

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
As a police officer, you better believe I carry a handgun while off duty. It does not matter if I'm grocery shopping, riding my motorcycle, or out fishing.

After 9/11, President Bush helped pass a bill that allows current and retired Law Enforcement Officers to carry concealed anywhere in the 50 States. The bill is called "National carry for law enforcement officers" and was ratified as H.R. 218.

After lugging around my duty belt for 12 hours per shift, carrying my backup gun (BUG) in a pocket holster is a piece of cake.
I carry either a Smith and Wesson M&P 360 .357 Magnum, or a Ruger LCP .380 ACP. I would much rather have a gun with me, than need a gun and not have one. Either of my pistols are extremely concealable, and fit right into the pocket of my Icon ARC riding pants

If a person is going to legally carry a concealed firearm, I suggest they practice often to keep their "tactical mindset". Practice drawing from their concealed holster and never, ever carry a weapon if you're planning on having even a single drink. If traveling beyond your states borders, I suggest going online and checking for reciprocal agreements with other states. Print materials are often out of date, and could land you in serious trouble if you're carrying a gun in a place you shouldn't be. Online sources are often more up-to-date than printed sources.

Last edited:

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The northeast is not gun friendly! You live in CT, which I am assuming falls into the NY/MA category in that regard. In MA I couldn't even bring my guns into the state, let alone get a concealed permit even though I have one in PA. Reciprocity doesn't exist in New England. Get your permit in your home state and you can ask the sheriff for his advice when you pick it up. I doubt it would be possible to carry concealed in NY if you aren't a resident, unless you're a bounty hunter or something.

dude.. dont rope me in with ny and ma.. ct isnt ri ya know.. :justkidding:
but i hear you. i dunno what im gonna do.. but i do know that there is a great shop nearby (hoffmens for those who live near by) and i think they might be able to handle my gun permit issues.. but thanks for the advise everyone. :thumbup:

shuckle

Reaction score
Visit site
... but wouldnt my givi v46 work just hte same way?? i could always string it up in a tree if i needed too :) :thumbup:

I would recommend against that. If a bear did smell your food in there, he would easily knock over your bike and would work on your hard bag until he destroyed it. Car trunks are usually ok, because the bear gives up after scratching the crap out of your car.

I camp in Algonquin Park (Middle of Ontario, Canada) every summer. We put our food in a single backpack and hang it 10 feet in the air between some trees. The bears know it's there but can't get at it.

Banging a couple of pots together is usually more than enough noise to get rid of a bear, as is yelling.

Now, Raccoons, they are a pain.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would recommend against that. If a bear did smell your food in there, he would easily knock over your bike and would work on your hard bag until he destroyed it. Car trunks are usually ok, because the bear gives up after scratching the crap out of your car.

well.. i dont think i would leave it on the bike.. i ment use some rope and hang it from a tree.. but thanks for the concern :)

grouzer

Reaction score
Visit site
You mentioned carrying a small handgun. I love little kittens

Last edited by a moderator:
W

wrightme43

bears are the least of the worry, people are what are dangerous. Thats what handguns are for.

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
And... if I'm walking through country that is occupied by Bears, the last thing I'll be carrying is a compact handgun. Bear country calls for something more like a .44 Mag, .454 Casull, .480 Ruger or something of similar power. Better still would be a shotgun loaded with 00 size Buckshot.

mglowe

Reaction score
mglowe.public.iastate.edu
While I agree it should be our choice to carry, I do argue with myself on it being a bad idea. I think the odds are you will have a greater chance having trouble with the law than actually needing it.

niben001

Reaction score
Visit site
Gotta Gun, gotta CC Permit and will carry on all trips bike or not.
Helps to have when in uncharted territory.;)

DaveK

Reaction score
Visit site
Im from the UK so we arent allowed guns anyways...but...i still wouldnt carry one.

Id rather let whoever wants to mug me just mug me, instead of me gettin carried away, killing the **** and going to jail forever

A gun is never gonna help unless a lion jumps out the bushes and wants you for tea, but the temptation to use it elsewhere would make it too risky