Torque Specs

rino60

Reaction score
Visit site
Does anyone know the maximum torque on the FZ6? I ask, so that I won't buy a torque wrench and not being able to torque a certain nut/bolt... Anyone?

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've just messaged my FZ6 Maintenance Man (aka my husband, Mike, Prebstar :)).

Hopefully he knows off the top of his head as he bought one for my bike around Xmas time.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
FYI: most of us will need two wrenches to cover the range needed. The reason is this; most all torque wrenches are only accurate at Full Scale reading. That is the closer you get the highest setting is where the wrench performs accurately.

Example: lets say you have 50 to 150 FT/lb torque wrench with +/-20% Full Scale reading. A typical wrench is not all that accurate from 50 to 80 but improves the closer you get to the limit like from 100 to 150. So be warned that the specification matters and that in the real world you likely need to two wrenches to cover a range from 10ft/lbs to 100ft/lbs.

Read this; maybe it will explain it better. . .
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/OBJECTS/49100/49079.PDF
http://www.deltazulu.net/Homepage/Snap-on.pdf

I'd get a 1/4" drive and a 1/2" drive. If you can afford the split beam style those are nice and you don't have to zero them when done. However most will not do left hand threads. Also get a good breaker bar so you never use your long handled torque wrench to wrestle tight bolts loose.

Try to find one with +/-5% full scale error or the lower torque settings could be off leaving the fastener too loose or too tight.

haydn

Reaction score
Visit site
im after the torque settings for my fz6 2008 front brake discs and wheel and rear discs and wheel :thumbup:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
im after the torque settings for my fz6 2008 front brake discs and wheel and rear discs and wheel :thumbup:
Rear axel is 120Nm, my Haynes manual is all boxed up due to the impending house move so can't help with the others at the moment.
The brake discs calipers have had some issues with over tightening so be carful.
Most people just use their judgment with the calipers.

Nelly

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a 3/8 inch drive 20-80lb.ft/27-108Nm torque wrench and it covers pretty much everything apart from the rear axle which is 120Nm. I just tighten till it clicks and then give it a bit more with my regular ratchet.

Most other bolts are between 10 and 50 Nm, so you won't be able to do much with a big 1/2 inch drive wrench as they usually start to high, in the 50Nm range, unless you spend big bucks and go for a fancy digital.

PS:

Front disc bolts: 18 Nm (1.8 m·kg, 13 ft·lb) (loctite)
Front caliper bolts: 40 Nm (4.0 m·kg, 29 ft·lb)
Front wheel axle: 72 Nm (7.2 m·kg, 52 ft·lb)

Rear disc bolts: 30 Nm (3.0 m·kg, 22 ft·lb) (loctite)
Brake caliper bolt (front side) 27 Nm (2.7 m·kg, 20 ft·lb)
Brake caliper bolt (rear side) 22 Nm (2.2 m·kg, 16 ft·lb)
Rear wheel axle: 120 Nm (12 m·kg, 87 ft·lb)

Download the PDF shop manual, it's all in there!

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the torque specs. You might have to remove that link if it's for a shop service manual due to forum copyright rules. If it's for an owner's manual I apologise and it can stay up as Yamaha have released those into the public domain. I am unable to open the link from my mobile device to verify which of the two it is.

Nelly

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk