Topping off the coolant?

AdamDJ

Reaction score
Visit site
I posted this question in an exsisting thread in the how to section but no one goes there :) Is it possible to top off the coolant by pouring it into the top of the radiator or do I have to put it in the white tank under the gas tank.. Its a pain to get down in there... My tank is down to the low level and I've noticed the bike is running a tad hot.. This is Phoenix though :)

Thanks!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You can fill your radiator all the way while engine is cold but you might need to add or remove coolant from the reservoir because the expanded coolant from the radiator (engine hot) enters the reservoir and as the engine cools the contracting coolant in the radiator sucks fluid back into the radiator from the reservoir.
Best to heat and cool a few times and make sure the cold and hot levels in the coolant reservoir are to specs.

Do add to the reservoir. Maybe a new turkey baster?

Cliff

Last edited:

AdamDJ

Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome.. thanks guys.. I might just have a flush done since I bought the bike used, who knows if it has ever been done! Being 105 the other day and driving in rush hour had something to do with it im sure :)

Thanks

FazerNYC

Reaction score
Visit site
I use a funnel with a hose and simply snake it to the bottle. It's sold everywhere.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
Make sure you radiator fan is running correctly.....many people have had little pebbles get caught in the fan and the motor won't turn.

probably just the 105 degrees, but better safe than sorry!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Make sure you radiator fan is running correctly.....many people have had little pebbles get caught in the fan and the motor won't turn.

Yes, I'm checking mine all the time now....

Cliff

AdamDJ

Reaction score
Visit site

I know it is running correctly, I can hear and see it working.. Is it supposed to turn off when you turn off the bike? The fan on my Ninja used to stay on for a bit after shutting off the bike.. Will a coolant flush and new/better coolant help? Its not gonna matter soon though since temps are finally starting to drop here... Finally!

Daryldaddy

Elite Member
Reaction score
central BC / Canada...on beautifull Quesnel lake
Visit site
If your engine temp. is high enough to trigger the fan , it should remain running if you stop the engine ( useing the kill switch ) if you use the key then the power supply to the fan will cease....Daryl :thumbup: Dam it's hot there....LUCKY YOU..........! :rockon:

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Funny you would have suggested this. Just yesterday I bought a turkey baster for this very purpose!

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I used a turkey baster to siphon out most of the old brake fluid. Works great. Beats having to bleed all the fluid out when doing a brake fluid change. For the coolant reservoir, I just lift up the tank... makes it much easier to get to.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I know it is running correctly, I can hear and see it working.. Is it supposed to turn off when you turn off the bike? The fan on my Ninja used to stay on for a bit after shutting off the bike.. Will a coolant flush and new/better coolant help? Its not gonna matter soon though since temps are finally starting to drop here... Finally!

When I changed out the coolant on my FJR with preston 50/50 premixed, I noticed it run cooler and cool down faster once under way. With the FZ, I didn't notice quite the difference hiowever the FZ is 3 years newer(an 07).

Scott