Top case: Anybody try JC Whitney?

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
So, this looks very tempting price wise, but is it junk?
MATTE BLACK TRAVEL TRUNKS - JCWhitney Auto Parts
Other option is to go for a Givi E52 with either the Givi or the SW-Motech rack which would set me back around $450. This would be for daily use. So far I use my backpack. I could see myself storing my jacket and helmet in the top case. Does anybody use a top case daily? Does the bike feel off balance if it is full?
Thanks for the info.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
I had that exact topcase on my Honda Silverwing (long before the FZ6) and it worked great. I've got the Givi V46 on my FZ, and the difference in the fit and finish is night and day to that case, but that's not to say that the JC Whitney case isn't a good one. It worked great, mounted in a very similar way as my Givi setup (using their universal rack). I never had any problems with it. I'm just not sure how you'd mount it to an FZ. It might work with the universal Givi mounting rack...but I don't know that for sure.

It almost an exact copy of the Givi E360 case. Check out RL Motorcycles and you can see what I'm talking about.

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I have it and use it daily. It is not bad, really. I bought a Give rack (I think the FZ351) for my FZ6 and was planning on a Monolock topcase. However, You can't beat the JC Whitney's price so I bought one. One caveat... you will have to drill holes in the mounting plate to match up with the Give rack in order to bolt it on. The generic retension system the JC Whitney's case has didn't look solid enough to hold the mounting plate on the rack long term. I am still however, thinking of upgrading to a genuine Givi top case at some point.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
I've had topcases on 2 of 3 of my bikes and never had any issues with wind. In fact, I would argue that my FZ6 feels more stable with the topcase on there and a moderate load inside it. Just my .02...but I can see how others would think the opposite.