top box recommendation

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
I am bent on getting a Shad top box, especially because of the price and ease of mounting (I have Leo Vince). I've round it down to several choices.
SH-40 Cargo, SH-49, SH-50.

I like the 40 because it has the rack on top which could be useful , but I'm worry it's too small. ~$150.

The 49 & 50 is about twice as much as the 40 (~$300). Is it too big?

Any recommendations? I do not want Givi or any other brands. Shad only.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Aesthetically, I like the 40 the best. I certainly don't think it'll be too small (of course, it depends on what you're wanting to carry). But at twice the price but only 10 liters more room...I'm not sure the bigger ones are worth the extra $$$.

On a side note, Derby Cycles (their 3 stores are located right near me) have a few of these in stock and I can definitely say I was impressed by the quality. I wish they carried Givi as well (my entire setup is Givi), but if I didn't already have Givi, I would definitely have opted for the Shad cases and been just as happy. I just noticed that they don't show them on their website, but I know for a fact that they've got some of the cases in their stores. You might give them a holler once you decide on a case and see if they've got what you want and at what price.

Derby Cycles - Motorcycle Accessories

Of course, I just ordered the Givi E45NJ to replace my V46 today, so I'm looking forward to getting that in myself! I've already got the E21's mounted up and ready to go for my Gap trip next month. Can't wait!!!

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
This is a great thread, please keep us informed as you progress, with pics! I'm in the market for a Shad topcase myself, and I'd love to learn from your experience.

Size: 40 will be plenty of capacity until you can't fit what you wanted to put in it ;)

Mounting: this is where I'm liking the Shad. Check out this thread from SBN, and note the bolt-on mounts, as well as the small mounting-plate size. Seems easy to install, and the bike doesn't look terrible without the case, and it doesn't seem to obstruct the visibility to the tail light like others. Is the mounting system you're looking at similar to this?
Shad SH37 Topcase - Sportbikes.net

hank

Reaction score
Visit site
sportmotogear.com... Mount - 116.75, case $152.00. There were alot of shipping options, I picked flatrate for $4.95, dunno if that applies to large items like this, but we shall see if I got lucky once it processes, and i'll make sure to post some pics of the install once they come in

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
This is a great thread, please keep us informed as you progress, with pics! I'm in the market for a Shad topcase myself, and I'd love to learn from your experience.

Size: 40 will be plenty of capacity until you can't fit what you wanted to put in it ;)

Mounting: this is where I'm liking the Shad. Check out this thread from SBN, and note the bolt-on mounts, as well as the small mounting-plate size. Seems easy to install, and the bike doesn't look terrible without the case, and it doesn't seem to obstruct the visibility to the tail light like others. Is the mounting system you're looking at similar to this?
Shad SH37 Topcase - Sportbikes.net

As far as I know, it is the ONLY mounting system for the Shad....I'm going to need Hank's opinion on how he feels about the sturdiness. My concern is the grab rail mounting point.

Very helpful and I'll be watching as well. Shad looks like a better/more economical option.

All eyes are on you now Hank! You are now expected to give us a complete review with full pictures and install instructions once your stuff comes in. Don't keep us waiting!

Last edited:

SirIsaac

My mind is going, Dave
Reaction score
Visit site
....I'm going to need Hank's opinion on how he feels about the sturdiness. My concern is the grab rail mounting point.

I believe that the Yamaha factory rack clamps onto the grab rail, so it ought to be sturdy enough. I have never experienced a problem with this and have never heard of anyone experiencing a problem.

All eyes are on you now Hank! You are now expected to give us a complete review with full pictures and install instructions once your stuff comes in. Don't keep us waiting!

No need to wait, CrazyBiker already wrote up the installation process:
http://www.600riders.com/forum/how-tos/7884-shad-50-top-case-rack-installation.html

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site

t1j2f3

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Shad SH-40 topcase on my bike with the Shad mounting kit direct from Yamaha.

Since there are two current threads on the same topic I will post my thoughts on both threads...

The mount was a pain in the ass to install because there are nuts welded to the frame that don't line up. After what felt like several hours trying to thread the last nut the threads stripped and the nut broke off at the weld. A quick trip to HomeDepot fixed the nut problem and the install was complete.

04122011009-1.jpg

The case holds my helmet with some room to spare, enough for gloves+ but not enough for the helmet and jacket. It is a little wider than a standard dry cleaning hanger and my dry cleaning will fit folded inside.

04122011001-1.jpg

In my opinion the rack and base plate look fine on the bike without the topcase mounted. Most of the time the topcase is on the bike and the wife says I look like a dork but don't care.