Top box - can the pillion lean back on them?

DaveK

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys, first post here, forum looks great. Bought my new 08 fazer 2 weeks ago and bloody love it, cant get enough of it.

Anyways me and the better half are wanting to do some touring on it and obviously need luggage for that. Is it ok for the pillion to lean back and rest on the top box? I cant make up my mind if it will be strong enough. The OE yamaha box and rack look dont look as strong as the givi rack, is the givi a better option?

Anyone have any recommendations?

Cheers folks, Dave

Hi Dave, welcome to the site, and congrats on your new fZ. I dont use luggage at all, so I cant help you with your question, but as a fellow scot, living in usa, to another, WELL MET!!

I have the Givi E52 case and my wife loves it. We didn't get the back rest pad for it though. She and I both wear full gear so she already has a pad on her back plus the pad looks like it would make her lean to far forward. The way it is right now is perfect. You can also remove it very easily and cary it with you or just take it off when you don't want it. When I am riding by myself I leave it on in the winter to carry all my extra clothing. You will find that you leave it on more than you originally planned. If you buy it you can search around the web for a tutorial on how to install the rack. I don't remember which one I followed but it helped because the Givi instructions kind of sucked. Hope this helps.

I have one of these racks http://600riders.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=724
There is a sticker on it saying max 5 Kg, so I guess it depends how much your girlfriend leans and how much you have in your top-box at the time.

I suspect that with a more conventional rack that this would be no problem.

My wife likes having the topbox on, but i think that's more psycological.

I have one and mine says 5kg on it as well as 100kmph I take both of them as minimums. ;) My wife has ridden with and without it and I think she prefers without TBH but to each their own. Now, where were we...

Oh yeah, leaning on the box. I'd say a pillion could use it for light support, but I wouldn't try to use it like a lounger. The fastening mechanism should be pretty strong but I wouldn't want to be putting a lot of pressure on it if it came off.

Yes they can lean back...they will love it. I've found that if a proper back protector is worn by the passenger there is no need for the topcase mounted back rest even on the longest of days.

Grab rails and a top case make the FZ6 great for 2up.

Pseudo - I really like that top rack. But 5 kg, or 11 lbs, ain't a whole lot. How about a metal strut going down to the license plate bracket for extra support? How much does that rack go for? Thanks, p.

Back