Toolbox necessities

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
Rear axle nut on 2007 FZ6 is 32mm. Don't ask me how I know!
- - - Jim

Most problems can be solved with a suitable application of throttle.

Holy necrothread batman!

32mm is also the size for the front sprocket nut, very handy socket to have in the box.

There are many tools that you'll only use once or in a blue moon, when you do need them though, they're a life saver. I remember I struggled for hours trying to get the c clip off and then back on the top of the clutch release shaft. Finally gave in and ran to the store and bought a pair of c clip pliers. Got the job done a minute later. Could have saved myself hours of time, a lot of swearing, and big scratch on the clutch cover by getting the tool in the first place.

Haven't needed them since though.

vinmansbrew

Reaction score
Visit site
So, what is the size of the front axle HEX head? My 06 does not have a nut on the front. It is a hex head. Caught me off guard.

hk_fz6_05

Reaction score
Visit site
So, what is the size of the front axle HEX head? My 06 does not have a nut on the front. It is a hex head. Caught me off guard.

19mm - you're best off getting something like this

please note I've absolutely no idea if that particular item is any good, but the picture illustrates what you're looking for.

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
19mm - you're best off getting something like this

please note I've absolutely no idea if that particular item is any good, but the picture illustrates what you're looking for.

Lies! get a spark plug socket! Put an extension through it backwards and you're golden, for a lot less than the multitool!

For me, an 18mm spark plug socket had the 19mm OD required for the front axle!

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
Lies! get a spark plug socket! Put an extension through it backwards and you're golden, for a lot less than the multitool!

For me, an 18mm spark plug socket had the 19mm OD required for the front axle!

I have something like five spark plug sockets, not one of them has an open inside to put an extension through. I got the next best ghetto solution, a bolt with two nuts. Something like this, http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m257/walksurf/wheeltool2.jpg. Except find one with a 3/4" head, and I didn't bother with a washer.

Reaction score
Visit site
That "bolt & nut" thing will work, although it looks like a sloppy fit. Just head to your local hardware store
and pick up a threaded rod connector. It cost me less than $3 for a perfect 19mm outside diameter.

DavesFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Re: Toolbox necessities

That "bolt & nut" thing will work, although it looks like a sloppy fit. Just head to your local hardware store
and pick up a threaded rod connector. It cost me less than $3 for a perfect 19mm outside diameter.

Now THAT is a fantastic idea. No more searching for a magical open sparkplug socket for me! I'm buying one tomorrow.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
ok so far you all have missed:

non marring hammer (rubber/nylon mallet)

chain break tool

a Dremel (no real specific need but anybody who works on anything should have one)

electrical tape

a 25-40cc syringe (brake fluid done easy)

and a thumpin stereo system to jam out while you wrench.