Toolbox necessities

ecudoc

Reaction score
Visit site
So, I know there are probably TONS of threads associated on this topic, but it would be nice for the newer riders, such as myself, if we had a cumulative listing of major tools that it seems one can't live without in relation to the FZ6.

I, like many am on a budget and don't see the point in taking the bike to a dealership and spend loads of money on most things that I could do myself. So in regards to servicing my bike myself I was wondering what tools were most used and needed most often so I can start to build my own collection.

Any and all help is appreciated greatly!! :thumbup::Flash::D

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Download a service manual and go to the tool page :) That'll be as exhaustive a list as it can get.

ecudoc

Reaction score
Visit site
Done that, and as you mentioned, EXHAUSTIVE.

I was hoping to hear from you whom were experienced in tearing bikes apart which tools were needed and served multiple purposes and which tools in that exhaustive list could be done without.

But thanks anyway David!! :thumbup::rockon:

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Done that, and as you mentioned, EXHAUSTIVE.

I was hoping to hear from you whom were experienced in tearing bikes apart which tools were needed and served multiple purposes and which tools in that exhaustive list could be done without.

But thanks anyway David!! :thumbup::rockon:

OK.

There are hundreds of tools needed to take a bike fully apart or to perform certain maintenance tasks, and what I do is either try to figure out what I need on my own or open my manual to see what tools I`ll need :rockon:

hmmm but anyway, I'd get a metric set of sockets, a metric hex tool kit, and don't forget a good hammer for these days when you can't get the oil filter off the bike and need to hit something... :) That'll get you started I guess... Your question is a bit vague, as it really depends on what you're trying to do...

ecudoc

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, I understand the vagueness of my question which is what makes it so complicated for me. Just looking for some insight, like you just gave as to somethings you found that gave the feeling of "wow, glad i had that on hand". I know it's a big task, but when my valve adjustment comes around I would LOVE to be able to accomplish that. I am very mechanically inclined, just not mechanically experienced with bikes. Thanks for th insight!:rockon:

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Open your service manual to the "valve adjustment" page and see the tool list...

LOL ok I`ll stop :D

trailmug

Reaction score
Visit site
My most prized Japanese motorcycle tool purchase is probably a set of T-handle hex keys. :thumbup:

The second is the largest of this set of impact sockets which works great with a 1/2" drive breaker bar to free the front axle from dealer over-torquing. I actually know of no other tool to do that job, and you can save a good deal of coin by taking the wheels off yourself to have tires mounted. (Truth be told, I set bags of water softener salt or fertilizer on the rear of the bike on the center stand to raise the front wheel off the ground..)

Last edited:

tuningfork

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not sure how much wrenching you plan to do as this bike IMO is pretty low-maintenace, but these are some tools I have found to be useful and somewhat specific to working on bikes for basic service, tuneups, and modifications to suspension, driveline, etc.:

4-port Sync gauges from motionpro or Carbtune
hand held impact driver
torque wrenches in-lbs and ft-lbs 3/8" drive and 1/2" drive
"universal joints" in 1/4", 3/8" size
Vacuum gauge
Mityvac vacuum source
DVM-Voltmeter/Ohmmeter
Soldering iron
shrink wrap, electrical tape, contact cleaner, dielectric grease
calipers and micrometer
magnetic screw pick-up
magnetic screw/fastener trays
oil filter wrench
Feeler gauges
Steel wire
Brass brushes

pin-mount front end stand (*not* a front fork stand)
Home-made damper rod holder (for fork disassembly)
workbench with vise
old dishpan for oil from engine and front fork.
measuring cups/graduated cylinders
fuel-safe siphon
funnels
5gal gas can

Assorted Paulaner, Leffe, and Victory beers :thumbup:

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
So, I know there are probably TONS of threads associated on this topic, but it would be nice for the newer riders, such as myself, if we had a cumulative listing of major tools that it seems one can't live without in relation to the FZ6.

I, like many am on a budget and don't see the point in taking the bike to a dealership and spend loads of money on most things that I could do myself. So in regards to servicing my bike myself I was wondering what tools were most used and needed most often so I can start to build my own collection.

Any and all help is appreciated greatly!! :thumbup::Flash::D

Just because it's one of those really, really basic steps that are often ignored.....

1) Throw away the crescent wrench. :spank: Extremely rare is the situation that this tool will be 'good enough'. It's almost certainly going to lead to bolts with rounded off heads.

2) A simple DVM is a life saver, when you start futzing around with the electrics. Buy one from where ever you want to.... cheap is good enough for 99.9% of what you will want to do. You only really need DC volts, and resistance.... all those other settings will lead you into trouble.:confused:

3) Oil filter removal..... this one can be a monster, if someone didn't follow directions the last time it was installed. The best solution for this (as I found out here) is to buy one of the 'cap' type filter wrenches, and drill a small hole through the edge of it that 'grabs' the top of your filter, so you can insert a self tapping sheet metal screw through it. When (not IF) you get a filter that's jammed on there.... screw the sheet metal screw into the filter body through the cap wrench. Now it's pinned in place, and will be easy to remove.

Iethius

Who?
Reaction score
Visit site
UH, you mean buy the tools before you need them and your bike is in pieces? Where is the fun in that? What excuse will you use to make a beer run? You need to think this through more. Or less, I don't know, you got me all confused now. The whole bike comes apart with a 10 mm and a Phillips anyway.

Seriously though, a torque wrench, even a cheap one, to tighten your wheels properly, like someone else said, saves a bit to take in your own wheels for tire changes but you will need to properly torque your wheels or damage the bearings, and/or endanger yourself.

I know you said you were on a budget, everyone has a different definition of that though. Does yours allow you to stock up on tools before you need them?
Do you have a basic set of tools, a garage etc, do you live in an apt???? Do you have a work bench? A rollaway? Do you have enough room for your own tire changer????? Are you going to start doing your own mech work starting with your FZ6, or do you work on cars??? Ever work on a bike before???

Last edited:

Iethius

Who?
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, read the thread again, so you are mech inclined? So you should already have plenty of electrical tape, duct tape, coat hangers, zip ties, bungee cords, epoxy, and basic tools like pliers and screwdrivers right?

I still say torque wrench, and read the manuals, BOTH the owners and the service, no matter how exhaustive. Your life may depend on it if you are doing your own work.

This is for riding not working in the garage but you should have a kit on your bike to plug a tire and get air into it. Back tire flats are common for some people, and remember there is no spare tire on a bike. I recommend the mushroom rubber plugs and carrying extra air canisters or a donor hose as it can go flat again on the way home.

Last edited:

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
1) Throw away the crescent wrench. :spank: Extremely rare is the situation that this tool will be 'good enough'. It's almost certainly going to lead to bolts with rounded off heads.

Totally agreed. Adjustable wrenches are good for small/easy jobs. I have never used an adjustable wrench on cars or bikes -- unless it was in a pinch and it's all I had.

A few tools to add (hopefully not mentioned yet): quality socket set for allen bolts and hex bolts, short and long extensions, quality ratcheting wrench, quality screwdriver with nice big handle (saved me several times on stubborn phillips screws). Don't forget a good way to organize your sockets and wrenches in order by size; nothing worse than hunting through the toolbox through a pile of sockets. Separate metric from standard stuff. Liquid wrench (or similar product).

Dennis

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
They have these in both Imperial and Metric now....

crescent_wrench_2.jpg

red_rock_beetle

Reaction score
Visit site
i would say it depends on what you are comfortable in doing to your bike,

should include
a set of metric sockets with a ratchet and 6"extension
a set of metric Allen wrenches
a socket large enough to undo the axle nuts (i cant remember the size)
#2 Phillips screw driver
flat head screw driver
spark plug socket
feeler gauge

i always like to keep some rtv blue sealant,
elecrtical tape
wd40
and if you are from where im from, duct tape and bailing wire:D

and if you are comfortable with electronics
multi meter
one or two jumper wire are always useful
wire strippers/crimpers
and some crimp on lugs

i prefer solder and heat shrink to crimp on lugs but what ever your comfort level is

2007Fizzer

Senior rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Rear axle nut on 2007 FZ6 is 32mm. Don't ask me how I know!
- - - Jim

Most problems can be solved with a suitable application of throttle.