Too cold to ride so I went ice skating

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That would be more my thing, admittedly, but I haven't found any on yet.

And if I may be permitted a small humorous aside at my closest European neighbours, there is a certain levity to be had following athletes called things like Jelp van der Hooijdonk or Hans Neesandboompsadaisy. (I suppose you have to be both very juvenile and British to think this funny). ;)

I know where you're coming from, but there are just as many similar jokes the other way around, only you wouldn't get it without understanding the pronountiation. I often have private jokes with myself, I think everyone thinks I'm slightly crazy, wibble!!!

We still have lots and lots of snow in Denmark and we even had sun yesterday so it was nice for a walk out.

Jannies dad gave us two pairs of cross country skiis that need the bindings refurbishing. As if I have not got enough to do with my little Moto guzzi.

By the time I get the skiis sorted all the snow will have gone and we won`t get this much snow again for years.

Steve

Get those skiis sorted steve , I'm sure you and jannie will enjoy :thumbup:
This morning there was snow on the ground, another day not riding :(

I like British humour but this is not up to par ;)

When the girls are skating, you can watch it live here:
NOS Olympische Spelen 2010 - Kanaal - ned-1
(If they didn't block it for foreign viewers)
And you might pick up some more funny sounding Dutch words :D

I recently tried to watch ITV.com (British site) but despite which proxy server sites I tried I was still refused access :(

I hope they sort out the ice machines, I ended up going to bed last night whilst they were still trying to get the machines working properly :(.

Jez

Reaction score
Visit site
Hans Neesandboompsadaisy

I like British humour but this is not up to par ;)

Well I thought that a corruption of a British nursery rhyme about falling down would be an appropriate name for a Dutch ice skater. But I may be wrong ;)

Hands, knees and Boomps-a-Daisy,
I like a bustle that bends:
Hands, knees and Boomps-a-Daisy
What is a Boomp between friends.
Hands, knees, oh don't be lazy
Let's make the party a wow, now then -
Hands, knees and Boomps-a-Daisy
Turn to your partner and bow, Bow - Wow!

Thanks for the link - streaming Dutch girls in lycra on skates sounds good. :thumbup:

Unseen

Reaction score
Visit site

Jez

Reaction score
Visit site
Poor girl. She was gingging wel snel at the start, up till that eerste bocht. Hope she didn't klapte her hoofd too hardt.

How'm I doing? :D

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
well she did get silver in the 1000meters BBC Sport - Vancouver 2010 - Skating gold for Canada's Christine Nesbitt, well done to canada for winning :thumbup:

@Cloggy: yeah the situation with the ice is really pathetic for an olympic tournament :(
Looks like the snow will just be gone before the Motorbeurs starts, so we can still go there on the bike, fingers crossed...
yesterday I went to the motorbeurs show on the bike, despite the (thin) layer of snow that had fallen the night before. It seemed warmer than the previous few days.

Poor girl. She was gingging wel snel at the start, up till that eerste bocht. Hope she didn't klapte her hoofd too hardt.

How'm I doing? :D

Nice try, did google help :thumbup:

Last edited:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not at all - it was a highly intellectual exercise using phrases from the article. There's nothing to it really, is there? :D

it actually sounded like one of my many "Nengels" sentences whilst learning Dutch. You must have a hidden talent for languages :D

Jez

Reaction score
Visit site
Good French, serviceable German, rusty Danish and Norwegian and a smattering of Russian. But I'm continually impressed at the standard of English of most Europeans. And depressed at how few British speak another language.

So I could probably pick up Dutch fairly quickly if I worked at it, but it'd probably end up as a form of GerDanNorEngelaandse. :)

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good French, serviceable German, rusty Danish and Norwegian and a smattering of Russian. But I'm continually impressed at the standard of English of most Europeans. And depressed at how few British speak another language.

So I could probably pick up Dutch fairly quickly if I worked at it, but it'd probably end up as a form of GerDanNorEngelaandse. :)

I'm impressed, for an English person you speak many languages, I must admit French was the only subject I didn't pass at school :spank: I learned Dutch out of necessity, but didn't find it easy.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Irish. Or as we say: "Éireannach is ea mé." ;)

But I also have a British passport.

Gaellic to boot, I'm impressed :thumbup:

Okay back to the Winter sports. Got to love skiing :D

Lindsey Vonn - Swimsuit by Under Armour - 2010 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Photo Gallery - SI.com

@Cloggy: any goodies from the Motorbeurs? I'm going tomorrow :cheer:

Slainte

Andre I saw several nice jackets for nice prices (especially a Dane goretex jacket), but none were my size (oversized) :( but I met up with Ton and (as always at the motorbeurs) enjoyed myself thoroughly:rockon:
I didn't take any pics but despite the rave reviews I really thought that the new VFR 1200 was fugly :eek:

cheers (my gaelic is not that good, but if it's about drinking I can generally muddle my way :D)

Last edited:

Unseen

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Martin,

I've posted the pics of the Beurs in a new Topic in the Europe section. The VFR is not that ugly in my opinion, i'm not a fan of the big panel on the front sides.

Jez

Reaction score
Visit site
Gutted to hear about Sven Kramer - he really had it in the bag.

I wouldn't want to be his coach at the moment.