To leather or to textile? This is the Question!

cooper01

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello, my name is Richard. I am about to buy my first bike and I have finally narrowed it down to the FZ6. This is not the point. I have my helmet and now need to get a jacket. I really like the look of leather, but they are expensive compared to what has been explained as a comparable textile jacket. My question is, what is the deal with leather and getting it wet in the rain? I see lots of jackets labeled as doing well in the rain. Is this true, are there leather jackets, or is there some coating you can apply that will seal them?
I know there are is another thread with this question, but I would also like to ask your general opinion about the leather vs. textile debate. I know my riding needs have something to do with this so I will go into it a little. I am a doctoral student at Oklahoma State University. I will be using the bike for a daily commuter to and from school. On the occasional weekend I would like to take it for a nice morning ride. I, being a poor student, don't have enough to get more than one set of gear at present. Please give me your ideas. Thank you very much in advance!!!

You can get a hybrid jacket if you really like the look and or feel of leather. I have several jackets, all in some version of 600D textile. I have read some studies that say that modern textiles are approaching and/or are about to surpass the abrasion resistance of leather. If you need a all around jacket, look for ones for removable liners. It's going to be up to you to decide in what conditions you will ride in and base your gear choices off of that, cold weather, rain, ect. It's a heated debate for sure, but one thing is for sure:

Whatever you decide on leather or textile - you will get what you pay for.

This is to say that when given the choice to spend a little extra for quality, do it. Cheap gear will fall apart, and won't ever protect you to the fullest extent.

For decent reviews and prices take a look here:
New Enough.com link

Last edited by a moderator:
First :welcome:!!

There are so many variables to consider, Are you going to be riding in cold or wet weather? Will you put the bike up for winter? I have textile jackets but prefer my leather when ever it's cool enough to wear it and lots of time it's not cool enough but I still wear it. I grew up riding in rain but don't if I don't have to. There is more expensive Kevlar riding gear like from Motoport.

I will 2nd what Shamus McFeley suggested, check out Newenough.com. I have a perf. leather that i use most of the time, I have a mesh with a waterproof liner that I use in the rain, but I might get a textile for colder weather. I mihgt get this onehttp://www.newenough.com/closeouts/textile_jackets_and_pants/fieldsheer/aqua_sport_tx_textile_motorcycle_jacket.html

Welcome to the site.

One thing about leather, you get what you pay for. Higher quality leather means better protection. However, leather will weaken over time as it gets wet.

I personally have a couple of textile jackets. One mesh and one for the winter that comes with a fleece liner. If it rains, I just put my rain gear over my jacket and pants. However, be careful about how certain textile gear is made, as it may melt when subject to a slide, something that you don't have to worry about leather.

Below, is a link to the tear and abrasion strength on certain materials.

Oh by the way, Kevlar is the latest and greatest. I have the Kevlar Air Mesh Riding pants from Cycleport/Motoport. Expensive, but they guarantee their gear, if they can't fix it, they'll replace it. I also have a pair of their Kevlar Gloves. Last pair of gloves I will ever have to buy.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/safety-equipment/18718-tear-abrasion-strength-s.html

I have been able to ride in a wider range of conditions with textiles than with leather. Perforated leather is great stuff, and works well from high to cool temps. Oregon sees very little truly hot weather, lots and lots of 50s and 60's, with more time in the 40's than in the 100's. Vents can make heavy duty textiles circulate ALMOST as much air as a perforated leather jacket will.

I bought a textile jacket in 2001 that I still wear most of the time, and two years ago added a perforated leather jacket from newenough.com I'll take the leather anytime the temps are above 70F, no question.

My personal belief is that most crashes on the street are not going to slide enough to wear all the way through a beefy textile, and the armor behind it. You'll hit something solid and stop before then, the vast majority of the time. :)

For my use, textiles are usually easier to maintain, and more versatile for daily use. Well designed leathers do a better job in the 10/10ths situations.... so I avoid those.

There are lots of options not just leather.

I have a leather suit which is very hot in summer. I also have a heavy textile suit which is warm and waterproof. I have Kevlar lined jeans which I wear with a light textile jacket with lots of air zips. I have a kevlar lined hoodie with pads in it,which I wear with my kevlar jeans and a very light Kevlar lined jacket which I got in Italy this year I wear it with a light pair of leather trousers.

As you see there is a wide range of mix and match for all weather conditions and you have to find what suits for where you live. My choice in your circumstances would be some kind of textile jacket.

My other point is to tell you about ATGATT if you don`t know it. It means All The Gear All The Time. "I have a helmet and now I need a jacket" You also need gloves, something to protect your legs and a decent pair of riding boots.

If you come off the bike the road just loves to chew up things like, knees, wrist bones, ankle bones, fingers and knuckles and personally I hate gravel rash.

When you get a bike, before you go out and get the comfy seat and new screen, do yourself a favour and spend the money on yourself first. ATGATT.

By the way we have a "Search" function on here. Top right, third in. It is very useful and I am pretty sure we have covered this topic before. You will find a lot more information and opinions there.

Welcome to the group.

Steve

I bought textile and am perfectly happy with it. Pants and jacket.

However, next time i'll choose differently, reason 1 is leather is waterproof, textile is just water resistant.

Leather is also hotter, but should last a lifetime, even if you fall, whereas in a fall textile is more likely to break.

welcome!

There are now three types of jackets you can buy. Leather, textile and HEMP!
Yes HEMP jackets. Maybe I should have made that jacket. :rolleyes: Joe Rocket came out witha Hemp jacket that looks very cool and is much much cheaper than leather. It's almost (99%) as safe as leather. And it costs hundreds less. I got an blue Icon Contra jacket before I seen the hemp jacket. Darn it. lol

If you can afford it, you should probably get a leather jacket and a waterproof jacket with a removable liner. This is the ideal situation, but if you can't afford it, then you need to assess what you need. A waterproof textile jacket with removable liner would be your best choice, as long as it has back protection, elbow protection etc.
You need to get out there and try them all on - don't get sucked in by pretty colours. Look for quality and for it to be comfortable.

Good Luck! :thumbup:

Back