To Exhaust or not to Exhaust

H

HavBlue

For the past four years I have been playing with the one issue I have with my FZ6 and this is the exhaust. Having seen any number of 600cc bike dyno runs after installation of a slip-on type exhaust I can honestly say I'm not impressed as an 800 dollar mod that only gains 5 horsepower at best to me isn't worth it. Beyond this is the proverbial errors in run programing that generally involve the introduction of a power commander designed to offset this mods shortcomings. Additionally, I have a hard time with the looks of the aftermarket systems and that butt ugly clamp used to hold the new cans in place. In my mind the stock look is far better and much cleaner as inefficient as it is.

I have listened to any number of sound bites and there is no question all are a vast improvement over stock. The one sound I have never been able to find is the sound this engine produces off the cat alone. I have heard a sound bite where the stock muffler was completely gutted out and this was better but it still didn't answer the question, what does it sound like running off the cat? The secret to eliminating any post programming errors is to remain within the parameters both high and low of the original cal-pack. As long as the mod is within that range no errors will occur as the mod remains within the design limitations. Go outside those parameters and mapping will be necessary.

So, I have decided it's time to speak with a muffler shop about building my own exhaust using the original cat-back piping and mount system but removing the muffler to add two out-pipes allowing for the installation of appropriate slip in baffles. Granted, this is old school but it dang sure used to work with cages as the cat makes a great muffler. It also allows the ECU to remain functional as is and it allows me not to worry about replacement packing in the future. I can stay with a dual pipe almost as large in diameter as the stock pipe running in front of the muffler. The second or left out pipe won't even be necessary (a fake tube will be there) as the right output tube will be plenty large enough.

The only problem I can see remains the lack of knowledge in terms relative to what the exhaust sounds like running off the cat alone.

Any thoughts?

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
For the past four years I have been playing with the one issue I have with my FZ6 and this is the exhaust. Having seen any number of 600cc bike dyno runs after installation of a slip-on type exhaust I can honestly say I'm not impressed as an 800 dollar mod that only gains 5 horsepower at best to me isn't worth it. .....Any thoughts?

It might be an idea if others on the forum have carried out any dyno runs to upload them here http://www.600riders.com/forum/garage-mechanical-help/1964-dynamometer-charts.html this was an idea by rachel81, then we can all get an idea of the dyno runs with different exhausts/slip-ons. Alternatively post them on this forum, I am curious which exhausts are best.

ped

Reaction score
Visit site
i know plenty of people who have changed the can and cat out without having a power commander and there is absolutely no problems with their bike. personally i dont think its worth it. ive seen tons of personal and proffesional dyno charts and i dont think ive ever seen more than 2hp difference from a AM can. now maybe if you shell out the dough to get the can and PC and have it tuned on the dyno then maybe 5hp...but 5hp really aint gonna do a whole lot especially if one isnt planning on racing.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
yeah but if there is an alternative to buying the $700 exhaust and get the sound without messing up the bike that would be of interest to me, i like the sound of after market pipes and i am a believer that if i am a little bit louder than people can hear me better. I also like the look of some/most of the after market setups.

H

HavBlue

yeah but if there is an alternative to buying the $700 exhaust and get the sound without messing up the bike that would be of interest to me, i like the sound of after market pipes and i am a believer that if i am a little bit louder than people can hear me better. I also like the look of some/most of the after market setups.

In places where things get close a bit of sound, which can create awareness, can't hurt for sure. I don't however believe "loud pipes save lives." Granted, in most cases I think pipes are changed to get a desired sound and not necessarily any performance gain. In the case of the FZ6 and a number of other bikes, dropping the front counter sprocket -1 will gain more in terms of performance than an aftermarket pipe ever did. It is the exhaust sound I am looking to change but I am not interested in changing the look which to me far surpasses that of any aftermarket cans currently offered.

H

HavBlue

i know plenty of people who have changed the can and cat out without having a power commander and there is absolutely no problems with their bike.

I must say I have heard this many many times and when the proof comes out after dyno runs it isn't true. The bikes, which typically run lean from the factory are now running beyond lean and when the plugs are checked they're badly burned due to the lean condition. Then, to make things even worse, folks try to get more by going to a high flow air cleaner which makes the condition even worse. Just because the seat of your pants dyno suggests there is no problem doesn't mean there are "absolutely no problems." Lean conditions can kill an engine's life time and that means a lot to me..

ped

Reaction score
Visit site
I must say I have heard this many many times and when the proof comes out after dyno runs it isn't true. The bikes, which typically run lean from the factory are now running beyond lean and when the plugs are checked they're badly burned due to the lean condition. Then, to make things even worse, folks try to get more by going to a high flow air cleaner which makes the condition even worse. Just because the seat of your pants dyno suggests there is no problem doesn't mean there are "absolutely no problems." Lean conditions can kill an engine's life time and that means a lot to me..

i know two people of the top of my head that ive worked on their bikes for, one has about 18k and the other has about 26k with an aftermarket exhaust and neither have unusual spark plug problems from what ive seen and their motors are very strong with over 35k. both have been put on a dyno and showed practically no power gain. minus the CC their bikes are running no leaner than mine fairly new and bone stock from the exhaust smell.

Last edited:

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
IMO the aftermarket cans look bad and I love the sound as it is...So no payment will be made towards a pair of cans. EVER. When I need a faster bike (not quite there yet) I'll probably buy a 600SS.

In my own (car) experience, once you start modifying, you can never stop.... :D Exhausts, filters, PCIII etc. A never-ending list

bike10

Reaction score
Visit site
dito

to each his own, i like some of the after market setups but agree that some look bad.

Ditto!
I have no problem with the appearance of stock cans, but want the loud sound!!!! Some people want the AM cans for the looks. I think the FZ6 stock exhaust look is the best looking factory exhaust I have ever had, but I gutted my muffler and cat for the sound and have thought about custom strait pipe exhaust too, but can't justify my interest just yet.

Everybody looks at a bike differently and makes it their own, my Ducati Monster I tweak cuz it needs it, but my fz6 I just needed a louder sound and have achieved it by gutting. The tail looks too good stock for me to throw pipes on it (personal preference).

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
like Gcon said i was bitten by the mod bug and i cant stop. The FZ6 is the first street bike i ever owned let alon the last time i was on 2 wheels was 1986. So i conssider the FZ6 the first bike in my life which i bought on Aug 1st this year. Since then i put 9000 miles on it in less then 5 months. I loved the stock can look but wanted VOLUME, so i went to Scorpion cans, then PC111 which is in the mail so is the 520 conversion kit. I just want to biuld the bike to what i like and the purpose is for originality. i could have bought a full faired bike like the R6 or CBR, or GSXR but when i saw the FZ6 something said that was the bike i wanted. It is a wise choice, i am very happy, but the problem is i cant stop buying parts or doiing mods. :Sport:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I found these today while surfing...

MIVV

There are some charts at the end. Notice the huge difference with and without the db-killers.

...and they cost a fortune.

Mivv terminale scarico SUONO yamaha FZ6 S1 04 06 on eBay, also Marmitte, Scarichi e Terminali, Ricambi Moto, Moto ricambi e accessori (end time 28-Dec-07 23:50:07 GMT)

I think those look amazingly sexy but holy expensive batman! I wonder how accurate those dyno runs are. if they are spot on that is a big difference

seanclearwater

Reaction score
Visit site
Hmmm.. I too am very curious...

One thing you may want to try is the ol' hole in the airbox trick. It takes about 20 minutes to do, and it satisfied my craving for more noise and fury.

I like it because it is still fairly quiet until you accelerate hard, then it sounds amazing. I have not heard any sound clips or aftermarket exhaust that I have liked better than the intake noise my bike makes now.

I did not notice any performance difference pos or neg.