Tires that fit and Reviews.

W

wrightme43

Bridgestone BT-20 stock review.

Miles 0-8980 when removed.
Fine in the rain, fine in the dry.
Tire could of gone to 9200-9300 miles.
Front began to cup out, and is now worn badly
Rear wore away in the center. I do a lot of travelling so that is probley the main cause.

All in all a recomended tire.

W

wrightme43

Avon Storm ST
First impression.
8980-9190 miles
Much steeper profile, much more traction as you lean.
I made the tightest figure 8s I have ever made and still do not have these tires leaned all the way over. Felt more in control.
The tire feels lighter at the bars, if that makes sense. Very quick drop in to turns. Much less effort at the bars.
I have a problem with the dyna beads I got, They are sending more. Updates as I learn more.

Last edited by a moderator:
W

wrightme43

Avon Storm ST
front start 5/32s
rear start 9/32s

Milage at 9758 now start at 8980

778 miles on the tires.
Can not see even the begining of wear. Very confiedence inspiring tires. They have a sharper V profile than the 20s did. They fall into the turns instead of being pushed, and take more bar effort it seems to bring them back upright. Very nice in the tight twisties though, even two up. Had alot of fun yesterday. The tires feel very controlled all around. I have one short rain ride on twisties in with them. Excellent feel in the rain.
So far a highly reccomeneded tire.

JONAC

***** Contributor
Reaction score
Visit site
Avon Storm ST
front start 5/32s
rear start 9/32s

Milage at 9758 now start at 8980

778 miles on the tires.
Can not see even the begining of wear. Very confiedence inspiring tires. They have a sharper V profile than the 20s did. They fall into the turns instead of being pushed, and take more bar effort it seems to bring them back upright. Very nice in the tight twisties though, even two up. Had alot of fun yesterday. The tires feel very controlled all around. I have one short rain ride on twisties in with them. Excellent feel in the rain.
So far a highly reccomeneded tire.

A mate of mine raves on about these tyres Steve !! Probably my next buy when I need them ... keep us posted on your thoughts as you clock up the miles on em :)

W

wrightme43

1100 miles on them now. Last 100 in the pouring down rain on the interstate 75-80 mph. Very confidence inspiring. Avon is sending me a new front tire. The front I have is out of round.

B

Bo67

New Tires

Had my worn out Dunlop D252's replaced with a set of Metzeler Rodatec Z6's on Friday at 8760 miles.
The Metzelers are awesome! The original Dunlops never did hold a line in a curve too well and the tread squared off rather quickly. I ride 100 miles on the interstate each day and where I live we get some pretty strong crosswinds which the Dunlops couldn't deal with regardless of how much lean I'd put into the bike.
The bike handles just great now.
I taught a motorcycle safety class yesterday up at the middle school and scuffed the new tires up in the parking lot during lunch. They hold just great right up to the sidewall then slide a bit but nothing too alarming. I never was able to do that with the Dunlops; I would've laid the bike down if I tried to with them on.
I'm heading up the mountain road near where I live today to check them out. Parking lots are fun but a twisty road is way better!!!
Anyway, just wanted to let you know my thoughts on the Metzelers.

-Bo
:Sport:

H

HavBlue

Mine go just fine in the rain. I have the Bridgestone battle axe tires though so if you have dunlops you will have to ask one of the poor souls who have them.
When mine wear out its Avon storm st, or Metzler Z6, or Michellin pilot roads for me.
I am doing my best to wear them out. LOL

You may want to add Conti Road Attacks to that check it out list.

As to the Dunlop 252 SportMax, I had but one problem with those tires and the same held true for the 401 Harley tires. They have a tendency to cup. As to their respective life span, 11,200 on the FZ6 and 21,000 on the Harley so life was never an issue. The Dunlop tire needs lots of air and they take a bit to get heated up. I never had a problem with them in the rain or cold to roughly 30 degrees F. Problem is, they were both more of a touring tire and not really well suited for carving up canyons. I have gone to the Continental Road Attack on the FZ6 and Milestone on the Harley. This is a marked improvement indeed for both bikes.

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
the tire size for the front is 120/70/17
the rear size 180/55/17
can someone tell me what 120/70.17

120 means what
70 means what
17 means the size
180 means what
55 means what

W

wrightme43

the tire size for the front is 120/70/17
the rear size 180/55/17
can someone tell me what 120/70.17

120 means what
70 means what
17 means the size
180 means what
55 means what

Well sure

Ok 120/70r17 tire means

120 mm wide tread
the side wall is 70% of 120 mm tall
The R17 means radial type 17" wheel fit

The 180/55r17 tire means
180 mm wide tread
the side wall is 55% of 180 mm tall
R17 means radial type 17" wheel fit

a
235/70r15lt
means
235 mm wide tread
the side wall is 70% of 235mm tall
R15 radial type 15" wheel
LT means light truck
it will have a load range as well.

Motorcycles sometimes have a call out for a special tire loading as well.
Like the FJR uses if I remember right a upgraded type of load rating.

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
ok that answers my questions. I am looking to put a wider tire on the back. I see some bikes out there with these little looking things on a rim and i say to myself "i hope my tires dont look that bad". I want a more aggersive looking tire on the back for a wider look and also for performance purpose. I want to see if the rear tie being a 180/55/17, what can i got to, i know i can get a 190/55/17, but can i increase it, and if i can what can i go to, with the stock 180/55 can i go to a 190/??/17 or ??/??/17. So in a nut shell, useing the stock rim what can i go to.

H

HavBlue

ok that answers my questions. I am looking to put a wider tire on the back. I see some bikes out there with these little looking things on a rim and i say to myself "i hope my tires dont look that bad". I want a more aggersive looking tire on the back for a wider look and also for performance purpose. I want to see if the rear tie being a 180/55/17, what can i got to, i know i can get a 190/55/17, but can i increase it, and if i can what can i go to, with the stock 180/55 can i go to a 190/??/17 or ??/??/17. So in a nut shell, useing the stock rim what can i go to.

You can get a 190 to fit but I don't think you'll like it as the tip in isn't as smooth. I know folks with the R1 that have gone down to the 180 to make things easier as was the case before Yamaha switched.

W

wrightme43

NOOOOO!!!!! Leave it alone. Wide tires are for posers. Why give up handling for looks?

B

Bo67

Great advice! Stick with the stock specs and concentrate on compounds/tire makes that suit you. There are countless possibilities out there, many of which are commented on in this forum.

H

HavBlue

Stick with the stock specs and concentrate on compounds/tire makes that suit you. There are countless possibilities out there

Man is this ever true. Depending on the riding you do and the surfaces you ride on the possibilities are endless. Once you find the tire that works best for you, you'll know and you won't change.

H

HavBlue

I wouldn't do it for many of the reasons mentioned above, but I've seen a 200 on an FZ6. You do realize that a 180 is a fat tire, right?

An FZ6 with a 200mm rear tire? That thing must have turned like a truck....

luvmyfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Conti?

Anyone have continentals?

I just ordered a set to replace the OEM bridgestones after 4200miles. I think I got a pretty good deal at $225 for the set with free shipping. If anyone knows about these tires let me know, they are the Conti Force Road attack tires. Thanks!!

ped

Reaction score
Visit site
the only reason to go to a 190 is side grip. but theres quite few things to improve on first with this bike. and then if you do go to a 190 you'll have to do lot of suspenson trial and error to get rid of all the other problems the tire will introduce.
if you're doing it for looks that makes you a poser, especialy since skinny tires have alot of pro's.