Tires that fit and Reviews.

Y

yukon_alex

I originally posted my question in the Canada forum but here goes once more. Has anyone used Pirelli Scorpion Sync tires on their FZ? I am looking for a tire that will handle very abrasive roads and last longer than 3000 miles. I once had a tire wear out in about 1800 miles here and I am trying to avoid replacing tires every month. Of course, if I put them on in September I am guaranteed to get a minimum 6 months out of them! :)

Alex

forteounce

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm having the goldilocks syndrome.
Too Cold: Bridgestone BT020 Battle AX's put up close to 13K miles.
Too Hot: Metzler M1's - 10x more confidence inspiring than the AX's, but showing wear after only 3k miles or so.
Just right: Trying to find something b/w the 2 in terms of performanc/mileage. What does the group recommend? Metzler Me's maybe?

Riding style: Mostly NYC stop/go commute. NJ/Penssylvania twisties on weekends.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

idanny

Reaction score
www.minutehound.com
I'm having the goldilocks syndrome.
Too Cold: Bridgestone BT020 Battle AX's put up close to 13K miles.
Too Hot: Metzler M1's - 10x more confidence inspiring than the AX's, but showing wear after only 3k miles or so.
Just right: Trying to find something b/w the 2 in terms of performanc/mileage. What does the group recommend? Metzler Me's maybe?

Riding style: Mostly NYC stop/go commute. NJ/Penssylvania twisties on weekends.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
I am trying to find a similar in between tire myself. Anyone have any suggestions?

W

wrightme43

Continuing the review of my Avon storm tires. On the rear installed mile 8920. I am at 3.5 millimeter of tread depth remaining at mile 15191. 6271 miles later it is very close to worn out. I have been very hard on this tire no burnouts, but lots of hard accel. The original front was defective and was replaced at mile 10436. It is showing no noticeable wear in a little under 5000 miles. I may have to replace 3 rears to the one front if this keeps up. I ordered a new 180/55-R17 Avon Storm today. I have about 1.5 millimeter before I am actually on the TWI. But that doesnt leave alot of tread for the rain.
These tires have been checked and kept at proper inflation. Overall Traction is great. Rain Traction is great. Confidence that the tire will do what is asked is great. Ease of turn in is OK. Braking performance is great. Tread life and I am disapointed in. These tires are marketed as a long distance sport touring tire with long life and good rain performance. I am riding light 600 cc bike and the tire is designed for more for the Honda ST and FJR crowd. They are even heavier and more powerful.

I am going to replace the rear when it arrives. Depending on the fronts wear I will decide to switch to Michelin after this rear tire wears out or not.

Overall so far a great tire that should last longer.
The stock Battle axes lasted longer in the rear but the front was destroyed at 8920 miles. ON the rear thats still 2600 miles more out of a set of Battle ax for les money. These are stickier and much better in the rain though. Maybe they need to be ridden in the rain to last longer. LOL

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Pirelli Diablo

What do you guys say for the Diablos on a Fazer?
PIRELLI - Motorbike tyre range - DIABLO

I'm doing mostly daily commute riding with ocassional ride to the twisties, but I do not have the full profficiency to lean and almost drag knee. The tires are on sale with Cyclegear.com and I was wondering if they will serve me right.

nimzotech

1st Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Tire Advice needed

^
So are the tires listed above good for the FZ6? Reason I keep asking is that i have 4,500 miles on the bike and the sale is pretty good for Pirellis. Cheers. I know they make Pirelli Stradas for commute mostly. The tires on Sale are just Diablos but should be good right guys?

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Tire Advice needed

I've used 3 different sets on my FZ6.

1) BT020 (OEM). Pretty hard compound, lasted for a long time but the grip was not comparable with the other two sets (Diablo stardas and BT021)

2) Diablo strada: very good grip for a sport touring tire, but I lateron found out that the set I had installed was over 2.5 years old. I've noticed that after the rear went bald at 4300km. Yes, km

3) Replaced diablos with BT021, I can say the grip is even better. They "fall" into the turn more rapidly, but they require a bit more effort to change direction. Have no idea about the milage, they are still quite new. Only 700kms on them so no wear is visible yet.

W

wrightme43

Re: Tire Advice needed

I am sure they will be fine. Tires of the right load range, speed rating, and size are going to work.

segue00

Burrrppppp, aaaaaahhhh
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm surprised nobody's tried Continental RoadAttack. I can rave about them. I've read a lot of reviews about them. Great looks, great grip wet or dry, good wear, easy turns. I have 1500 miles on mine and barely scratching the middle embossed leters. I highly recommend them for street use.

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm surprised nobody's tried Continental RoadAttack. I can rave about them. I've read a lot of reviews about them. Great looks, great grip wet or dry, good wear, easy turns. I have 1500 miles on mine and barely scratching the middle embossed leters. I highly recommend them for street use.

The dealer in Cyprus is a complete idiot. The company that imports continental is one of the largest private companies on the island, yet they don't know they have a great product to sell and they really don't care...go figure

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
After 13,345 miles on my stock Dunlop 252's, I finally had them replaced. Overall performance, can't really compare because I can honestly say that this has been my only experience with street tires. Not the greatest as far as stickyness in the twisties. But no wobbling at high speeds, and the tires did start to square off. I had about 1 mm of tread left on the rear and 2mm on the front. Overall, I got great mileage off the tires, probably could have gotten close to 15,000 if I just commited to commuting, but what fun is that. The tire pressure held great. Only had to put air in the tires a couple of times over a span of 13 months. Maybe riding the bike everyday helped keep the pressure consistent. Bike never sits, it's my only ride. I posted some pics of my tires just before retirement. Oh I got the Michellin Pilot Powers, for $260 installed at the Yamaha dealership. Actually, $278 with tax.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here is a nice chart that Psuedo Cloggy came up with.

This year (23/05/08)the Motorrad German motorcycle magazine tire test ran the same test only this time on a CBR, I haven't seen the test myself but the scores were posted on the Dutch Fazer forum. Thanks Jantje Beton :thumbup:

Tires test on a CBR600rr by Motorrad magazine 23/05/08
Sport Tires
1 Metzeler M3..................253points
2 Michelin pp2ct...............252p
3 Pirelli diablo rosso...........250p
3 Continental sport attack..250p
5 Bridgestone bt016..........240p
6 Dunlop qualifier rr...........209p

Sport Touring Tires
1 Michelin pilot road 2 2ct.....226points
2 Dunlop roadsmart..............222p
3 Metzeler z6......................200p
4 Bridgestone BT 021...........195p

Hey how about that, the Dunlop roadsmart has definately made an impression.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I can't comment on that, as I haven't seen the actual test yet.

I did try to pick up a copy last weekend when I was in Germany but they only had the newest issue of motorrad, not the one with the test in it. I will look around and see if I can get an old copy of Motoplus, this is a basically a Dutch version of Motorrad.

KUMAJ

Reaction score
Visit site
BT-021
Two weeks ago, I installed BT-021. At that time I had had plan to install H range tire for front and 170 tire for rear but, I wanted make some standard in myself. Therefore, I installed normal size for FZ6.

Impression

Grip: Wow...... Very better than OEM D252 and doesn't have nevours moment in process of leaning bike.:D

Dumping: Feeling like that I installed better suspension. Dumping function is excellent.

Handling: not dull, not heavy but stable.

Warm up: I guess this tire doesn't need so much time warming up even if it is in winter, though need to check again in winter. It is my opinion that agressive rider should choose this tire in winter. :D

Improvement : Need to adjust preload of each suspension again(more stiff suspension will work well) and higher air pressure to calm little too much dumping function down.

Road condition feed back: It is enough though dumping character is work well.

Some people say life time of this tire of front is NEVER touring tire but, last month, Bridgestone started to sell new upgraded front tire of 120/70 having very longer lifetime than early BT-021.

Last edited: