Tire changer

C

CombatPenguin

I'm going to get a tire changer just not sure whick one yet. The HF one is cheap but porely made, unlike the no-mar but that cost about $600. I'm doing this because the last set of tires cost me $500 for the tires and mounting. What do you all think? Anyone used either one before? (if more people lived closer to me I would get the no-mar for sure then it would get used more)

I use the HF changer. It is not a marvel of modern technology, but it will work. I have added a set of Mo-Jo blocks to mine and also use a Mo-Jo bar. For the money, I find it quite adequate.

+1 on HF and the MOJO lever. I filed the rim clamps smooth and then sprayed with urethane undercoat for grip and protection. Can be easily re-applied when needed. I bolted the motorcycle adapter to the base to keep it stable.

How about this?

Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

I would have bought one, but as far as I know they don't ship to Canada...

That is exactly what I have, including the bottom set (shown in gray). The lower part, which I think is part of the standard tire changer set, has one heck of a bead-breaker on it. Darn thing is nearly worth it just for that. With the Mo-Jo blocks, there is no damage whatsoever to the rim. They are teflon, I believe, so the rim can turn under force. But that is easily countered with a strap around a wheel spoke and changer arm.
Again, for the money, it is a very useable set up. Especially for the money that I have invested. All I purchased was the Mo-Jo blocks and Mo-Jo lever. The changer itself was given to me by a friend that had the coin to upgrade to the No-Mar. If I could afford the No-Mar, I'd have one. Untill then, me and the HF changer will get by just fine.

Back