tire blow out and wreck!

rakhan

Reaction score
Visit site
So my tire blew out on me yesterday in a parking lot and caused me to wreck fairly bad. The tire was less than 2 months old with very few miles on it. I ordered the tire on amazon right now I am trying to contact the seller, but since I ordered it online I have a feeling they will try to place blame on the shop that installed it.

The wreck cause the rime to bend as well. Any advice for what action I should take?

imag0192w.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow that's one f'd up rim!!!

Without knowing what exactly caused the blowout I'd say your probably SOL. Unless you can prove it was a bad tire

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
What kind of tire? What happened, exactly? To get that sort of whack in a rim, you have to be moving pretty quickly, and hit something pretty solid. Like a curb, or a deep, deep pot hole.

Can you provide a picture of the damage to the tire carcass?

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like god smashed that with a led pipe holy cow what happened and how cause just seeing that's pick I'd say DE or person who installed the tire did that and if the company says they take the blame for the tire then they will probably only replace the tire not the rim good sir

adberns

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, that's unfortunate. My guess is they will say you hit something and caused the tire to fail unless you can prove that the damage to the rim happened after the damage to the tire.

You are absolutely sure the rim damage was secondary to tire failure? Any more pictures? Witnesses? More details on what happened? Tire brand?

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow that is a bent rim! What exactly happened to cause it? I had a blowout on the highway once (guess its considered a blowout, my valve stem got ripped out by something) but it didn't damage my rim. I think the companies will try to pass the blame around. Best of luck, but I think the best you'll get will be a tire.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I thinking if the tire seller or installer sees this picture they will say the tire was under inflated and hit a pothole or speed bump.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I think that you, after the blow out, then ran over something like a parking lot concrete block or something. A blowout by itself I don't think is going to bend the rim like that. How about the temperature that day? What do you think you PSI was? Was the bike sitting in very hot climate and tire was overinflated or something? How did you wreck in a pkg lot? Were you leaning in a tight turn?

rakhan

Reaction score
Visit site
ok so more details, I was taking a left turn and the tire rapidly deflated causing me to lay the bike down, then i hit the pavement and the bike slid into the curb which cause the bent rim.

anyone know a good place to get a cheap used rim?

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You must have been going hella fast to do that much damage to the rim, in a parking lot - AFTER laying the bike down and sliding.

Good luck with the claim, but I wouldn't hold your breath.....

Cheers,
Rick

adberns

Reaction score
Visit site
ok so more details, I was taking a left turn and the tire rapidly deflated causing me to lay the bike down, then i hit the pavement and the bike slid into the curb which cause the bent rim.

That is too bad, man, best wishes your way. Remember, just because the companies will give you the run-around doesn't mean you shouldn't at least try to get the tire and rim paid for!

If you haven't already, get as many pictures of the site as you can. Are there scratch marks from your initial point of impact to the curb? Witnesses? The more documentation you can get immediately after the accident the better.

Best of luck, I hope things turn out well! Keep us posted.

LeaN69

Reaction score
Visit site
That is too bad, man, best wishes your way. Remember, just because the companies will give you the run-around doesn't mean you shouldn't at least try to get the tire and rim paid for!

If you haven't already, get as many pictures of the site as you can. Are there scratch marks from your initial point of impact to the curb? Witnesses? The more documentation you can get immediately after the accident the better.

Best of luck, I hope things turn out well! Keep us posted.

He could sure try, but I highly doubt that a reseller (middle man) that sells tires on Amazon will want to dish out the money for something he simply re-sells. He most likely will direct you to the manufacturer.

I find it challanging to understand how a tire would hold PSI and then all of the sudden rapidly deflate as you're taking a turn. My best guess is you cought something and punctured it. It has happened to me, luckily I stopped with a friend at the convenience store for a cold drink and a smoke and as we walked out of the store the rear was sitting on a rim.

Most important thing is that you are ok, everything else is just materialistic item that can be fixed or replaced.

PS. rim doesnt have to be exact, you can get one off of a different bike (just make sure its same size) and use that. That way you have more options and might be able to find something for a good price.

Also if you have at least comprehensive insurance on your motorcycle go through the insurance and they should cover it.

Last edited:

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you check for a puncture in your tyre? Sounds a bit odd to me. Check for holes - probably something cut the tyre. As you were turning, made it worse. Lost control and smashed the rim. Check it out

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com

anyone know a good place to get a cheap used rim?

How do you know the tire was flat or nearly flat before you crashed?

Do you have a picture of the damage to the tire itself?

A relatively new tire? Professionally installed? How did it 'rapidly deflate'? Did someone you don't like shoot the tire? Stab it with a knife? (obviously both extremely unlikely) Without seeing a hole in the tire, inches wide.......:confused:

I would guess from your description that you either spun the back tire and lost traction, or hit a patch of sand, or oil, or slippery sh*t rather than suffering rapid decompression.

Not trying to be a d*ck, just respectfully asking for you to think about what happened, and possibly make some adjustments to your riding when you get back on that horse.

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
I completely agree with that^^^ thinking.

Unless you can actually see a puncture or cut in the tire it is dry possible that you just spun out. Hell your tire might be good still and you only need a rim.

I myself was making some extremely poor decisions late one night and figured I'd go pick up some more, umm "drinks" and well leaving that gas station I romped on it a little as I was turning out and the rear tire lost traction like it was on glass and the bike slid right out from under me and stopped inches from a curb.

I've never got back on a bike "like that" again...

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Did the valve stem pop off? We are not here to discredit you, but are all very curious what lead to all of this happening. . . Who made the tire and what if any damage does it show?

I'd guess a 450lb bike sliding at 10 miles an hour could bend the rim but how did it deflate so quickly? Can you give us something to go on here? tks

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Did the valve stem pop off? We are not here to discredit you, but are all very curious what lead to all of this happening. . . Who made the tire and what if any damage does it show?

I'd guess a 450lb bike sliding at 10 miles an hour could bend the rim but how did it deflate so quickly? Can you give us something to go on here? tks
Totally agree,
This is the best way to establish validity and credibility to any thoughts or theories.
There is a lot of collective knowledge here all trying to help.

Nelly