Tire age when buying new - what's acceptable?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So I got my Metzeler Z8s today from one of the reputable mail order places. Before I ordered, I called and asked if there was any way to ensure the tire wouldn't be too old and was told they don't keep tires for more than 6 months.

The front one I got is nice and new (1413), but the rear: (4311). That's 2 years old. Here's my question: would you accept a 2-year old tire? I'll be running it on the track 10 days from today.

I've since called 2 other places (both reputable and highly rated). Both told me they could not guarantee that their tires are newer than 2 years old. They *should* be, but they can't guarantee it.

PFD023

Reaction score
Visit site
if they can't guarantee it it's not an issue. If it was...and safety was a concern then they'd make damn sure they didn't have stock over 2 years old.
What about guys who only do 5k or so a year on their bikes and make tires last more than 2 years? We wouldn't think twice about riding on them would we?

Answer is YES I would run them no questions asked. I'd also probably be only asking about 10% of the performance the tire was engineered for before failure/performance loss or whatever you want to call it...so there is a biiiiiig safety margin in there.....as there always is.

Plus....Erci.....you only use the centre 1/3 of the tire anyways don't you? Even on the track!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

PFD023

Reaction score
Visit site
That sucks. I'd be pissed and call them up asking how it can be made right.

They may not keep tires more than 6 months but who's to say the tire isnt alreade 2 yrs when they receive it from wherever they purchase it from.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That sucks. I'd be pissed and call them up asking how it can be made right.

I did. Did not get a positive result. They said they would take the tire back (at my shipping expense), but could not guarantee that replacement would be any newer.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
They may not keep tires more than 6 months but who's to say the tire isnt alreade 2 yrs when they receive it from wherever they purchase it from.

The guy I spoke to today told me straight out he didn't know where the 6 months comment came from. They keep them for 2 years. Having said that, I did confirm that some manufacturers ship tires which are more than a year old.

I get about 2 years out of tires on the street, so starting with a 2-year old one puts me close to 4 years.. which is getting up there in age.

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site

Good point. Maybe the major online retailer purchased that tire from some dude under a bridge within the last 6 months.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I know old rubber gets hard when exposed to UV and the elements but dont new tires have a waxy coating to avoid this?
And won't you need to be sure this is well scrubbed off before hitting to many hard corners?
I was told I needed to clock up about 100 clicks for most of that wax to have worn off
Now I dont do enough twisties to lose the chicken strips, so I could still have waxy stuff there after 3000k's(or thereabouts)

I still think your gonna love the Z8's

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
I did. Did not get a positive result. They said they would take the tire back (at my shipping expense), but could not guarantee that replacement would be any newer.

Did you talk to a manager? You have to get past the initial rep- ask for a mgr right off the bat.

Give the succinct version. "I was given bad information. Had I known the tire was going to be 2 years old I would never have placed the order, how can we make this right?"

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you talk to a manager? You have to get past the initial rep- ask for a mgr right off the bat.

Give the succinct version. "I was given bad information. Had I known the tire was going to be 2 years old I would never have placed the order, how can we make this right?"

Yup, tried that.. manger should contact me from 24 to 48 hours, but based on the link PFD023, a 2-year old properly stored tire is as good as new.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I know old rubber gets hard when exposed to UV and the elements but dont new tires have a waxy coating to avoid this?
And won't you need to be sure this is well scrubbed off before hitting to many hard corners?
I was told I needed to clock up about 100 clicks for most of that wax to have worn off
Now I dont do enough twisties to lose the chicken strips, so I could still have waxy stuff there after 3000k's(or thereabouts)

I still think your gonna love the Z8's

I've been told that getting the slick stuff off brand new tires is a matter of heat cycling, not literally scrubbing them by doing a weave or riding in circles :D

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been told that getting the slick stuff off brand new tires is a matter of heat cycling, not literally scrubbing them by doing a weave or riding in circles :D

Damn! Now you tell me? This info will save me a bunch of Dramamine next tire change!

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
funny what we get told by retailers
One said get out the steel wool and hot soapy water!

and from the same site as above the MotorcyclePortal--Useful Informnation--- Tyres ABC
4. Running-in new tyres

For each journey the first kilometres must be run at moderate speed (in particular in cold and humid weather) until the tyres have reached the required usage temperature, which guarantees the best bonding. New tyres have got a smooth surface. Therefore, they must be run in using a cautious driving style for a distance of approx. 200 km. The tyre needs this time in order to fully set onto the rim and to achieve its optimum bonding due to the roughening of the profile. Motorcycle tyres only develop their full performance from a certain operating temperature, thus they should initially be warmed up.

Last edited:

kenh

Ride Like Your Invisible!
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yup, tried that.. manger should contact me from 24 to 48 hours, but based on the link PFD023, a 2-year old properly stored tire is as good as new.

I would have to agree. I bought my 2008 FZ-6 from a dealer in 2009, that had it stored in whatever type of container it came from the factory. I now have 8,000 miles and the tires are showing some signs of wear and it is 2013. They are date coded early 2008 which makes sense, but I still look them over during every warmup. My point is, back in the day you would have worn your tires past the point of safety because (A) they still held air and (B) you did not have a lot of extra cash, but these are not the tires from then. The construction and compounding in tire technology is one of greatest advancements that have been made in the last 10-15 years and it just keeps on getting better.
IMHO I do not think it will be a problem. :thumbup:

DeepBlueRider

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got same issue as you've did when I got my M5s. Rear was I think 2011 or ever 2010. Exactly same questions to dealer, metzeler etc, exactly same answers :)

Anyway those M5s were stickiest tires I've ever had on my bikes :rockon:

I would ride it :squid:

But let's hijack a thread for a sec - How do you like those Z8 ?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got same issue as you've did when I got my M5s. Rear was I think 2011 or ever 2010. Exactly same questions to dealer, metzeler etc, exactly same answers :)

Anyway those M5s were stickiest tires I've ever had on my bikes :rockon:

I would ride it :squid:

But let's hijack a thread for a sec - How do you like those Z8 ?

They're not on yet. I'm swamped at the moment and I'm coaching this weekend. Maybe not get them on till early next week, but HAVE to get them on before the following weekend (track day).

I'll post up a comparison.. eventually :D

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
If it makes you feel any better....a coworker of mine bought a truck off a elderly relative and the tires on the truck have 45K miles on them and are stamped "0601"!!!! That's 12 year old tires. Since the vehicle was parked in a garage the tires still look fine. I told him I wouldn't drive on them but the point is tires don't deteriorate that rapidly when stored away from UV and temperature fluctuations.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If it makes you feel any better....a coworker of mine bought a truck off a elderly relative and the tires on the truck have 45K miles on them and are stamped "0601"!!!! That's 12 year old tires. Since the vehicle was parked in a garage the tires still look fine. I told him I wouldn't drive on them but the point is tires don't deteriorate that rapidly when stored away from UV and temperature fluctuations.

No, your neighbors old tires do not make me feel better!

:justkidding:

My attitude towards car tires is very different. Car's don't low-side! But yeah, clearly nothing wrong with an unused, properly stored 2-year old bike tires.