times you have dropped your bike...

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
I've dropped once and that ruined my day.I wuz doing about 15 MPH---front folded from underneath me while going downhill (SF) on a split level surface.

kpaul

The Great Destroyer
Reaction score
www.xbox.com
Pulled in to the garage and forgot the kickstand. Leaned it over and put my foot down on my epoxy painted floor and got no grip. This was the first week I owned the bike.

Did pretty much the same thing outside of a Subway once, put the side stand down but it wasn't all the way deployed. When I shifted my weight onto my left leg, the stand came back up and I slowly laid it down. Popped back up and pulled the bike up with little damage aside from a bruised ego. Thankfully, that was my GS500 which I bought for the express purpose of dropping stupidly. Haven't laid a bike down since.

So far as the original poster's center stand issues, I can't claim any better, I've never been able to get the damn bike to sit on it on either of my bikes. :)

geetarhero

Reaction score
Visit site
First day out (went to a parking lot to get a feel for the much bigger FZ than the MSF bikes) I laid it down. No idea how it happened. I think I just didnt put my foot out far enough while on a camber to my left and didnt have the leverage to hold it up.

Down I went and broke my foot.
I now wear FULL, true gear (no half cut boots or mesh here) all the time and have yet to hit pavement again

chimneydoc

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have dropped my bike three times. The first day I got it, once in front of a city bus ( thats when I learned that when making a right turn going about .25 miles per hour. Don't use your front brake it wii drop you like a magnet) another time right in front of one of my customers house on the 4th of July ( my foot stumbled at the stop sign they came running out and one of there friends ask me if I had been drinking. I had just came from a beach firework party from friends at church). And the best one was at our Monday night CMA (Christian Mortorcycle Assoc) ice cream ride in front of a bunch of friends. I'm the only sport biker the rest are HD and other variants. I was later told that I was the only one that has ever done that in all the years that they have had ice cream runs. I'm only 5'4 and I can't even put both feet flat on the ground. When I come to a stop I put my left foot down and keep the right foot on the peg. I have 25k miles on my Z and it's quite natural to come to a stop like that.

Doc

iRoNyX

Reaction score
Visit site
1. just got 06 fz6. no idea on how to ride yet. rode it down the street. lost balance while stopped

I did EXACTLY this. Bought an 08' new from the dealership as my first bike. Got on it at the dealership, 2 days fresh of passing the motorcycle training course... I figured I knew how to ride, LOL. Long story short it was a much taller and more powerful bike than I rode at the course, and I wasn't used to it... Drove it down the road a little, stopped on a bit of an incline, lost my balance and went down on the left. My body absorbed most of it but I had to replace a few cheap parts. It was pretty funny because the odo had 0.1km on it total... I was just happy to be out of sight of the dealership so I didn't end up on YouTube or something... LOL. ;)

-Dave

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
since we are being honest:

1. lost balance while practicing U turns in a parking lot and fell on the left side....really embarassing
2. moving it in the driveway...I was't on it, just pushing it around, just lost my balance and down she went.
3. bike on the center stand, on a wheeled dolly. I know that it is not as stable on the dolly. I was taking out a bolt and I guess I pushed the bike forward, and it came off of the center stand...and down she went
4. #3 happened another time. now I think I learned my lesson...no working on the bike when it is on the dolly!

redballs

It's a small world
Reaction score
Visit site
I dropped one of riding school bike's practing emergency braking. I grabbed the front brake way to hard and quickly. I felt the back end begin to sway side to side, so I tried to correct it by letting off the brake and then gradually pulling in the back and front brake. It slowed me down a bit, but the next thing you know I was laying down the bike on its side. I wasn't hurt but I learned not to grab the front brake so quickly.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
hehe this is embarrassing but everytime i learned a little. it's in chronological order as far as i can remember since i first started riding in Aug 2007. wanna share your stories? :D

1. just got 06 fz6. no idea on how to ride yet. rode it down the street. lost balance while stopped
2. lost balance taking it off centre stand in house garage
3. lost balance taking it off centre stand at gas station
4. left turn lowside. cold tires, slippery road, leaned too fast. speed about 40kph
5. dismounted bike but forgot to bring down kick stand
6. right turn at T intersection. too much throttle. rear wheel on ice. very slow 180 degrees lowside
7. front tire tucked on slush going straight. speed about 55kph
8. taking 07 fz6 off centre stand while bike still running in 1st gear
9. right turn lowside. too much lean. most likely footpeg drag lifted rear wheel. speed about 55kph (this happened about 3 weeks ago)
10. front tire tucked going straight on wet metal street car track. speed approx 35kph. (this happaned 2 days ago)

oh yeah. ATGATT :rockon: and frame sliders :D

Poor bike, I'm going to call the SPCA on you!

AdamDJ

Reaction score
Visit site
I had my first fall about a month ago, only a couple weeks after I got my FZ6.. I was used to the small and light Ninja 250 I had riden for a month before.. I was backing out of a Circle K parking spot and turned the front hard right to swing the bike out of the space and lost footing on my right side.. I started tipping really slow and kept feeling more and more weight on my right leg.. As big as I am I could only hold 420 something pounds starting to tip for only so long..

So down it went and I rolled over to the right to avoid ending up under the bike.. I ended up on my back a couple feet away from the bike. I had Full gear on so there was not a scratch on me, no fairings on the bike so no damage there either! Only damage was to the ego.. :(

diablo_man

Upside-Down
Reaction score
Visit site
hmm, came close a few times with my first bike (1984 yammy virago 500).
where i parked it was a covered "shed/firewood shelter" that was on a natural rise, with grass all around the slight hill into it. pulling up perpendicular to it, i turned on the grass and gave it a little gas to get it up the hump, but the grass was wet. it almost all the way down, hard parts about touching ground before i caught it and slowly pulled up the bike (probably 450lbs). meanwhile i had pulled in the clutch and as it went over my throttle hand was shifted, so it was about 15 seconds of me frantically trying to stop it falling and lift it up while i was revving its nuts out. (little bike went to 8500rpm, not bad for an aircooled twin in that day.)

second time was in a parking lot with my 1984 Honda xl600r enduro. and i went around a 90 degree corner at like 10 km and i guess i grabbed a bit too much front brake and hit some sand and it went down. i was trying to sell that bike at the time, so that sucked, but it didnt really make a difference. skinned my knee.

i hope when i get an FZ6 i wont do anything that dumb. and im definitely picking up some riding pants. (i am otherwise ATGATT)

psnbye

I used to be Jethro
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My first street bike was a '96 CBR600 that I bought from a friend who I later learned abused the hell out of it, and as I rode it away from his house, I rolled over a big pinecone in the gravel road and slooowly tiped over and I didnt want to hurt the bike so I stuck my leg under the side that was headed for dirt and ended up stuck under the left side of the bike. I was at a real awkward angle so I had no leverage to get out! I had to wait until some guy came along helped me push it off. It was a very embarrasing and eye-opening experience. My "friend" said he saw the guy help me pick it up but couldnt stop laughing long enough to run down the driveway to help. :rolleyes:

Iethius

Who?
Reaction score
Visit site
Have not dropped my FZ in the 4+ years of riding it. Lost the balance once or twice switching sides after pushing it in the garage from the right side trying to get around to the stand. So I only push it around from the left now, or get back on and exit to the left, put down the stand.

I have a Suzuki RM 250 (dirt bike) that I willingly throw on the ground when the ride gets ugly.Guess I get enough of it out my system with that.I try not to though because I buy new bars every time. Can't ride with bent bars...

If any of you guys ask, Luckyirishboy could probably make titanium training wheels...
Just clowning, thanks for fessing up brave souls.

Please don't jinx me, please, please, please.

sempul

Reaction score
Visit site
first bike i ever owned was a 94 FZR6 that i dropped in the lowes parking lot. i put the side stand down and set it down. picked it up and the stand up for some reason. forgot and went to set it back down. over she went. i wasnt strong enough to stop it so i just eased it to the ground and picked it back up lol.

now here is a funny story. at the local yamaha shop here iwas talking with one of the mechanics and saw one of the rich a$$es come in and drop $10,000 cash for a new bike. asked my mechaninc to drive his truck home so he could ride his new bike and then the guy would bring him back to shop. was only about 3 miles away so i said i would wait on him. when he got back he was laughing still. he said the guy went behind the guy. when they stopped for a red light the guy just tipped over on the bike nad landed on his right side. he said hte guy never put his feet down when the bike stopped. he thought it would balance itself! lol! i told him he shoul have made him give the bike back lol.

Last edited:

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
first bike i ever owned was a 94 FZR6 that i dropped in the lowes parking lot. i put the side stand down and set it down. picked it up and the stand up for some reason. forgot and went to set it back down. over she went. i wasnt strong enough to stop it so i just eased it to the ground and picked it back up lol.

now here is a funny story. at the local yamaha shop here iwas talking with one of the mechanics and saw one of the rich a$$es come in and drop $10,000 cash for a new bike. asked my mechaninc to drive his truck home so he could ride his new bike and then the guy would bring him back to shop. was only about 3 miles away so i said i would wait on him. when he got back he was laughing still. he said the guy went behind the guy. when they stopped for a red light the guy just tipped over on the bike nad landed on his right side. he said hte guy never put his feet down when the bike stopped. he thought it would balance itself! lol! i told him he shoul have made him give the bike back lol.

Hahahah makes you wonder whether to laugh or cry!

Tentacles

Reaction score
Visit site
Couple of weeks ago, owned the bike for two days before getting unbalanced in my driveway (on an incline). Lost balance, the bike and I both went down and I broke my foot. Doctor says I can't ride for 6-8 weeks. I've put in 345 miles since then...

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Couple of weeks ago, owned the bike for two days before getting unbalanced in my driveway (on an incline). Lost balance, the bike and I both went down and I broke my foot. Doctor says I can't ride for 6-8 weeks. I've put in 345 miles since then...

A bit of dumb and dumber there I think.

Steve

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Lent my bike to my friend for a quick ride, came back with scrapes and a dent in the tank.. Thank god for frame sliders or it would have been much worse. :(

Lent my bike..............................you didn`t need to finish the sentence because we all know what follows "Lent my bike..........."

It is a hard way to learn and I hope he is paying for the repairs.

Steve