Time for tires

H8 PVMT

lovin' life
Reaction score
Visit site
Time to replace my tires. I have a set of BT16 that have been good to me but I'm wondering what y'all like.
What do you have and what do you like? I don't do track days but I like the twsties, the bike gets about 4k miles a year but that will increase this year.

Thanks everyone!

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
you are going to get a smattering of opinions.

It seems like a fan favorite is the Mich. Pilot Road2.

You'll get good versatility out of them for decent grip and stickiness once they warm up. They are also very decent in wet weather. I don't think you will find a better long wearing tire that also has very decent performance characteristics.
They are easily good for 11k+ miles. I currently have 11K on mine now and they will last at least another 3-5k, really no exaggeration.

I am sure our australian forum friend will chime in with a reco. for Metzler Z6 or Z8 and I am sure they are equally good.

Chri5

Reaction score
Visit site
i have to agree with FB400 im about to change my road pilot 2's the milage and grip (wet and dry) is brillant ive put 18k on them, they are bald now tho my friends use maxxis supermaxx touring and swear by them for the money

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the PR2's, IMHO.

The Bridgestones, at least on my FJR, did not last as all and the front tire tended to cup much too soon...

The PR2's, especially in Florida, I've found so far, haven't obtained a worn flat down the middle as thier aren't many curves...

There's been some issues on the PR3's if they were made in a certain country(I forgot which country) as apparently with heat, the tires were literally separating... Do a search, it was on this forum....

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks TownsendsFJR1300, I was remiss in pointing out the problems (horrific at that) with the PR3.

Just as there is such strong recommendation for PR2's I would stay far far away from the PR3's at least until Michelin owns up to whatever production issue that is causing failure

H8 PVMT

lovin' life
Reaction score
Visit site
I was reading quite a bit last night on the PP 2 CT and the PR 2 CT. There is part of me, after watching MotoGP racing, that thinks I need the PP when really the PR might work just fine.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
I replaced the 16's on my FZ6 with Bridgestone 023's and I loved them. I'm more of a sport-touring tire guy myself because I like the longevity.

I'm now replacing the stock Dunlop tires on my FZ1 with Continental Conti Motion sport-touring tires. The $175 price tag and great reviews just sucked me in. If I didn't go with those or could've found a deal on the 023's, I would've gone with with the 023's again in the heartbeat.

tanman

Reaction score
Visit site
The 23's give you enough stick in the turns and life in the straights?

i learned to get my knee down with the 023's. scrape pegs once theyre fully warm. i think i got 11,000 from the front and 6,000 from the back riding everyday in all weathers with a fair amount of motorway thrown in too. although ive only used these and 020's. but theyre great so ive used them for 20,000 miles now :D

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Personally if you don't do track days look for some tires that get the best mileage ratings. I run shinko 009's and can drag my knee all day long passing all the little kids on their super sports with super soft tires. So traction isn't a problem on any of the tires you will buy for the average rider, so I choose tread longevity and price.

aid-90

Reaction score
Visit site
It depends on the riding you intend doing ;)
But for any street rider the michelin pilot roads 2 are fantastic in all weathers, warm up quickly (even in ireland where its always raining ;) )
and offer very good life! i have nearly 3k miles on them so far and am very happy with them :Flash:

I have no chicken strips left on the rear on the pr2, cant say the same for the bridgestones that came with it! :rockon:

(dont look at the chicken strips on my avatar as the tires were new at that stage ) :D

H8 PVMT

lovin' life
Reaction score
Visit site
Pirelli Angel ST's :rockon: PR2s have been good to me as well

Read a lot of great things about the Angel ST's.. As a matter of fact I think I'll give em a try, lots of miles and hold their own on a track day. Now, where to buy....

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Read a lot of great things about the Angel ST's.. As a matter of fact I think I'll give em a try, lots of miles and hold their own on a track day. Now, where to buy....

I had the Angel ST on the rear late last year with the stocker still on the front... just got the 2 Fresh ones on and BOY does that make a difference... Took her for a shakedown cruise through Letchworth park (WNY'ers might know lol) and its SO much nicer with the Angel up front as well. It literally felt like your connected by a rail. I was dragging pegs like I was Casey Stoner.. never had a tire that gave me that much confidence!

(watch you see me posting tomorrow about how i'm in the emergency room because i think i'm Casey Stoner :spank:)

I fully approve of the Angel ST's though :thumbup:

As for where to buy, i got my first one thru Motorcycle super store, they were having a sale... Got them thru the dealer this time and paid a bit more.. Sometimes they'll give you a little discount on the tire/labor if you buy thru the dealer... not the case at my dealer apparently lol

Def

Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on the 023's. By far my favourite tires so far on the FZ6. Good grip in all conditions and longevity seems good so far. I do not do track days and mostly like sport touring with lots of spirited riding thru the twisties. I've had 020's ,021's and Mich Pilot Roads on my bike so far, so my experience is somewhat limited.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Time to replace my tires. I have a set of BT16 that have been good to me but I'm wondering what y'all like.
. . . .

Were your 16s the originals or the Pro's and how far did they go?

I have the 016 Pros and the crazy front tire has the makings of nubs on it still after 600+ miles and back's been chickened so its long sense nubeless. . . Very sticky tires. . .

FZsixRider

Reaction score
Visit site
I currently have pilot powers on mine, stick pretty good on dry pavement, spin up on wet. UPS delivered a set of dunlop roadsmart 2's yesterday haven't mounted them yet, but a guy I work with swears by the roadsmart 1's (he rides a 1200 bandit).