Ticking sound from the engine

Ok thanks tomorrow i will try to find the source of the sound so then i can proceed to fix the problem

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Hi guys i mamaged to find the source of the sound, it come from CCT its loud. this happen only with warm engine and throttle engaged at 2k - 3k rpm. Now do you think i can get a manual cct? Or do i have to order the automatic one?

Hi guys i mamaged to find the source of the sound, it come from CCT its loud. this happen only with warm engine and throttle engaged at 2k - 3k rpm. Now do you think i can get a manual cct? Or do i have to order the automatic one?

IMO, I'd get the OEM automatic one (GENUINE YAMAHA, NOT a Chinese knock off). Yours lasted about a decade and I believe Yamaha has updated them, (stiffer spring). The NEW one will come with a small tab that holds the adjuster in for installation. Once bolted down, pull the tab and it'll extend out, all done..

The manual ones won't loose tension but there's a fine line adjusting them initially (not too tight, not too loose) AND its another part you have to occasionally adjust.

Please keep us posted

Last edited:
Recap; that chain has physical contact on 3 guides and 3 gears. The guids will have sound and a rough running engine can amplify this.
Question; did you hear tapping along the exhaust side of the head? Like above the exhaust ports below the valve cover?
At 3k there will be a wirrrr of chain to guide contact but the video above indicates it taps at idle. Its an observation that we changed from idle noise to 3k. So, what are you really hearing? Taps or wirrrrr like sound?

I havent heard the taps on the side of the head only loud wirr near the cct at 3k rpm. The valve sound is audible when the engine is cold?

Often times the valves will be quiet when cold and as they warm they tap. Oddly mine would always tap more after being turned off and then restarted when hot. All of the exhaust valves were out of spec but 3 so much you could hear exactly where they were on the cylinder head.

Listening to the tensioner - yes, its going to wirrrrrr as it has a chain rubbing on its guide from the crank to the head.

Hi, it is confirmed: the sound that i was hearing is the cct it seems that it lost the tension it will be replaced it soon [emoji3][emoji3]

Back