Thumbs up for stoplights!!!!

windsor

Reaction score
Visit site
Its getting colder, but I have yet to put her down for the winter. In order to give my hands some brief moments of heat in these 40 degree rides, I've resorted to reaching down and grabbing a hold of the exhaust headers while I'm stopped at the lights.......ahhhhh warmth, even if its fleeting, its better than nothing.:thumbup:

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Um...you grab the headers? I'm calling BS on that. For one, your arms would have to be ape-like long, and you'd almost instantly melt your gloves/give yourself 2nd/3rd degree burns.

I do, however, grab the frame spars, and tuck my fingers in to catch some of the engine heat.

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been known to jamb my gloved hands in near the edges of the rad (and well away from the fan) to warm them up. I have also used those little hand warmer jobbies that you can get at Costco...they're not as warm as heated gloves, but beggars can't be choosers, right?

Sent from my SAMSUNG GALAXY S INFUSE using Tapatalk

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Um...you grab the headers? I'm calling BS on that. For one, your arms would have to be ape-like long, and you'd almost instantly melt your gloves/give yourself 2nd/3rd degree burns.

I do, however, grab the frame spars, and tuck my fingers in to catch some of the engine heat.

I have to agree with 04fizzer here. The headers get HOT even in cold weather and will damage gloves, burn your fingers in short order even if you could reach them from the saddle.

I often warm my left hand on the radiator hose while cruising and my right hand on the engine head while stopped.

windsor

Reaction score
Visit site
I have to agree with 04fizzer here. The headers get HOT even in cold weather and will damage gloves, burn your fingers in short order even if you could reach them from the saddle.

I often warm my left hand on the radiator hose while cruising and my right hand on the engine head while stopped.

Not BS, completely true. While I'm stopped, I lean over, reach around and grab on to a header for a few seconds. If I had ape arms, I could do both hands at the same time, but alas I just do one hand at a time. I have thick leather riding gloves with palm pads and take my hand off as soon as I feel some heat. Have I left them on too long and gotten too hot? Yup. So 3-5 seconds will do. I tried grabbing the muffler, but it does not warm the glove quick enough and can only do my right hand.

Motohead

Reaction score
Visit site
If you ride a MC in the winter buy the right gear. A heated inner jacket and good gloves is a no brainer for me. Its funny to watch my buddies freeze their arse off when my heated gear is on low.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Heated grips help out a lot, heated gloves are on my short list though, I tired some on at the stealership and fell in love!

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
on some cold nights, my exhaust get violated... :BLAA:

lol. It's never that cold brother!

Heated gloves, a chin skirt and next protection and I could probably ride down to freezing temps (32F, 0C) comfortably. It's always my neck and my hands that get cold first on my commute.

windsor

Reaction score
Visit site
If I planned on trying to ride this winter, I'd drop the money on heated grips and gear, but riding in snow just doesnt appeal to me. 40 is my cut off point. Gunna get one more quick ride in then stick it in the hangar for the winter.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Perhaps you're all saying the same thing, but they also have heated glove liners. I am however amused by the fact that my left thumb is freezing before any other part. Including my right thumb. wtf?

I think what I hate the most is the cold gas in the tank! It sucks the heat out of you and couple that with the wind down the thighs and crotch and it takes a while to thaw! ;)