Thumb Throttle???

Scott

Nerd Extraordinaire
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I searched and didn't find anything, which probably answers my first question...

How retarded is it to even consider a thumb throttle mod? I've been riding ATVs for years and the thumb throttle always seemed more natural to me... not to mention I have some limited mobility in my wrists.

I know the main reason people say thumb throttles are a bad idea is due to long rides, but I've spent hours and hours of hard riding on my quad and my thumb is still attached and functioning properly.

Opinions?

B

bluenova

There was another thread on here not so long ago about plastic clips that slip onto the throttle grip, so you can then use your thumb. I can't find it now, but if I come accross it again I'll post it here.

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site
Would certainly be interesting. I don't ride ATV's, but I do snowmobile a lot in the winter and those are thumb throttles (not to mention Yamahas :thumbup:) I would think if you found an assembly from a snowmobile or ATV it wouldn't be too hard. That being said, I have a few thoughts. First being I much more prefer holding the throttle with my whole hand vs. just my thumb. I've been snowmobiling for years and at the end of a 200-300 mile day, my thumb still gets a little sore, remember you're holding against 4 throttle bodies. Second, I think the reason snowmobiles, ATVs, watercraft, etc have thumb throttles is to give more control in rough terrain. I think it's much easier to be able to hold on to the bar like he!! with your hand and modulate the throttle with your thumb. When you're holding on super tight, I think you're ability to modulate a twist throttle is compromised, not to mention you hit a bump or something the wrong way it's be pretty easy to inadvertently roll it way on or back way off. That being said, I see no reason it wouldn't work on a bike as the road is so much smoother in comparison. I'd be interested to see it done. :Sport:

Scott

Nerd Extraordinaire
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
...Second, I think the reason snowmobiles, ATVs, watercraft, etc have thumb throttles is to give more control in rough terrain...

I never really understood why dirtbikes and quads are different, but I never had any trouble with my dirtbike over rough terrain with a twist throttle. Maybe it was just a preference thing to start out with and then it became standard?

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd be interested to see if you install one and how it works for you. Have never heard of it done around here or on any street bike though.

I saw a few bikes at the rally here in galveston where they had thumb throttles. Looked weird, but i would imagine its no different than a 4 wheeler except you go a lot faster.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I never really understood why dirtbikes and quads are different, but I never had any trouble with my dirtbike over rough terrain with a twist throttle. Maybe it was just a preference thing to start out with and then it became standard?

ATVs have thumb throttle because of all the hard turning/pulling you have to do off-roading. With a motorcycle, you don't turn the bike but push down on the grips to go around corners. Imagine trying to pull a fast-hard right turn on an ATV with a twist throttle. :eek:

brad81987

Reaction score
Visit site
ATVs have thumb throttle because of all the hard turning/pulling you have to do off-roading. With a motorcycle, you don't turn the bike but push down on the grips to go around corners. Imagine trying to pull a fast-hard right turn on an ATV with a twist throttle. :eek:
I never thought of that, good call! :)

davedew

Reaction score
Visit site
I also have thought about doing this but what held me back is if you were to ever sell your bike this would have to be changed back. Also Im not sure if any sensors would be affected. I find thumb throttles do give more control, especially when doing wheelies. (Atvs vs dirtbikes). Now that ive been riding for a while it just seems normal to use a twist grip, Im interested to see how it works if you do the change.

christod1

Just a member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Have you given thought to using a finger throttle used on a jet ski? I'm not sure how you would install it though. Needs planning.

Scott

Nerd Extraordinaire
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Have you given thought to using a finger throttle used on a jet ski? I'm not sure how you would install it though. Needs planning.

Not really, since I've never really tried a jet ski :)

The main reason for doing it would be familiarity. And I'm definitely willing to be the forum guinea pig if someone can point me in the right direction. I'd really rather have a pro do the conversion, but I've never been able to find anyone in town that didn't look at me like I was crazy.

B

bluenova

Don't hold on too tight. You really get a lot of vibes if you do, and it's not necessary if you are just cruising. Just take a light grip, I tend to only use my fingers (and thumb on the throttle) and don't rest my palms on the bars unless I'm at 10,000 RPM with the throttle fully open, then I hold on :D

Scott

Nerd Extraordinaire
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I had a couple thoughts... first, I was doing nothing but practicing low-speed maneuvers last night. So I was probably gripping more tightly than I would on a nice cruise. Second, I did fall... it's possible I hurt my wrist a bit on the landing.

I'm gonna give it a few weeks, obviously. But if I find someone that will do the conversion, I think I'm going to try it.