petergreko

limits are for suckers
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, so I've seen posts on these on this forum and elsewhere, but I want to know from those of you that have ridden (at least a couple thousand miles with them), how do they feel? Do you see any wear? Does the engage/disengage wear out after time?

Just want to know before I shell out $150.

Also, heavies or regulars??

Thanks all, much obliged.

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought the regular version about a year ago. Added about 9000 miles since then. I haven't seen any wear. (I had them off while I switched bars.) But I tend to disengage the lock rather than leave it on. I only use the lock briefly to allow me to flex my wrist and fingers then go back to regular.

The adjustment, by selecting a set of spacer washers, is a bit touchy. When the weather got warm last spring I had to reduce (I think) the amount of spacer. The setting seems to be OK now even though it's gone back to colder weather.

If I were doing this again I'd order the heavies, based on the theory/hope that the heavier bar ends would reduce vibration and I would have less frequent numbness.

Yes, they're pricey. My neighbor gets much the same results using a section of bicycle tube. But I like that they're easy to engage/disengage while in motion. The section of tube is not. They feel well designed and look great too.

Chris

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
I have them on four bikes and wear is not a problem. Like shoop says setup is critical. And if I had a reason to buy another set for my FZ I'd go for the heavy, just saying.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Very good question about the wear of the engage and disengage. For some reason, mine seems to be slipping whenever I try to lock it and I haven't spent too much time trying to figure out why. I've had the throttlemeister about 5 or 6 years.

But a definate must have if you plan on real long rides. When I'm out touring, my daily mileage averages about 700 miles and longer, so for me, it's well worth it. But in recent years, haven't done much long distance riding so I don't rely on the throttle lock as much as I use to.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Agree with everything said above.
Except. I could never engage/disengage this damn thing easily while riding. And that's true with all "bar-end" locks.
I've investing in my first "Kickstarter" campaign, it's a manual throttle lock for beemers. Instead of twisting something at the end of the bar, this thing has a thumb-operated pushbutton, looks like it works easily. I have no doubt if it works well on the beemer, we'll be seeing them everywhere.

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had the heavy Throttlemeisters for about 100k km's. They look fantastic and help with the vibes. Their intended function though is iffy. If it's spaced perfectly, the stars are aligned, it's a second Tuesday on an even day, and it's a full moon, it may possibly work perfectly. The rest of the time is, meh. You need to constantly monitor your speed and adjust the throttle majority of the time. It's not something that you can just set and take your hand off the bar for ten minutes (not advocating, just an example). There's also the issue of accidentally turning the lock with the throttle. Not a big issue with thinner gloves, but unavoidable if you have bulkier gloves or big hands.

If your primary goal is just to relax your throttle hand. The Go Cruise works just as well if not better, is easier to setup, and is hugely cheaper.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought the regular version about a year ago. Added about 9000 miles since then. I haven't seen any wear. (I had them off while I switched bars.) But I tend to disengage the lock rather than leave it on. I only use the lock briefly to allow me to flex my wrist and fingers then go back to regular.

The adjustment, by selecting a set of spacer washers, is a bit touchy. When the weather got warm last spring I had to reduce (I think) the amount of spacer. The setting seems to be OK now even though it's gone back to colder weather.

If I were doing this again I'd order the heavies, based on the theory/hope that the heavier bar ends would reduce vibration and I would have less frequent numbness.

Yes, they're pricey. My neighbor gets much the same results using a section of bicycle tube. But I like that they're easy to engage/disengage while in motion. The section of tube is not. They feel well designed and look great too.

Chris

+100^^^

I had one initially on my 2000 ZRX 1100 (heavy end) and then moved it later to my 2004 FJR.

As noted above, it does have to be set just right or will loosen while under way or stick some..

It is a little bit awkward to adjust but you get used to it.

Re wear, the steel/machined part of it is top notch and there is NO wear to speak of... Betwen both bikes, I had it on for about 9 years, no isues...

Now, years ago, I did install on a customers bike, the older version of a "Brakeaway" throttle lock.

This link is of the newer version;
BrakeAway Products Motorcycle Cruise Control

The older version took about an hour to set up but worked wonderfully. It had both a push button activation, a push button release and even better, if you acticvated the front brake, it released the throttle again. It worked very, very slick and was extremly high quality(not cheap either). Quickly looking at the "newer" version, I think I prefer the older version..

Last edited:

petergreko

limits are for suckers
Reaction score
Visit site
Just a follow up, I bit the bullet and went for the Kaoko. I spoke with the company from South Africa and they seem to be a stand up company with a great product. Got a good deal with a coupon from Chaparral and installed it in 3 minutes flat.

Took a short ride yesterday and it's awesome. I don't know how you guys like your Throttlemeisters but I am very happy with the Kaoko. This weekend will be the test.

Thanks for all the input everyone. You're info helped immensely.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just a follow up, I bit the bullet and went for the Kaoko. I spoke with the company from South Africa and they seem to be a stand up company with a great product. Got a good deal with a coupon from Chaparral and installed it in 3 minutes flat.

Took a short ride yesterday and it's awesome. I don't know how you guys like your Throttlemeisters but I am very happy with the Kaoko. This weekend will be the test.

Thanks for all the input everyone. You're info helped immensely.

That link shows its discontinued... Guess you got the last one!!!