Throttle Sync Question

JAZZ-n-FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I went to sync the TBs today with a vacuum gauge I have and found out it doesn't really work because the vacuum gauge bounces from about 8-12 inHg, which makes it impossible to make all the TBs even and accurate. Is this because I am using a vacuum gauge which doesnt have any resistance? Does this mean I have to fork out close to $100 for a carb sync gauge? Has anyone one found a cheap one that works? Finally is there anyone in the LA area with a tool that I could drop by and use? Thanks guys for your help.

Jeremy

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought the $99 one, only to have the blue stuff evaporate, then Fred and I tried to "fix". It worked, well enough.

It did work very well however and the fluid was very steady in the tubes.

Which one are you using?

Denver_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Is this because I am using a vacuum gauge which doesnt have any resistance?

Yes. The Motion Pro uses a restrictor (with an incredibly small hole) which is put in each of the hoses and connects to each throttle body port.

Also, are you trying to do this with only a single gauge? If so, I don't think its possible to get an accurate sync. As you make adjustments to each of the three throttle bodies, it will cause changes in idle speed which will change the vacuum of your reference master throttle body.

FuriousGeorge

Reaction score
Visit site
I think it probably just needs some restriction in the lines to smooth it out. Try kinking the lines a little and see if it's any better. I have a Carbtune and with that one you cut the rubber lines it comes with and insert a plastic connector to act as a restrictor in them. I'd highly recommend looking into it. Very easy to use and no liquids to mess around with.

I went to sync the TBs today with a vacuum gauge I have and found out it doesn't really work because the vacuum gauge bounces from about 8-12 inHg, which makes it impossible to make all the TBs even and accurate. Is this because I am using a vacuum gauge which doesnt have any resistance? Does this mean I have to fork out close to $100 for a carb sync gauge? Has anyone one found a cheap one that works? Finally is there anyone in the LA area with a tool that I could drop by and use? Thanks guys for your help.

Jeremy

buzzbomb

Resident Lurker
Reaction score
Visit site
You could try building your own manometer....

Here is an example.

GOogle "homemade manometer"

Good luck. ;)

Yep this is exactly the same setup that I made up. I used water mixed with red food colouring, and also rigged up an engine vacuum guage to the line from the #1 cylinder, with a restrictor (in this case a 4mm garden watering system valve.) This valve helps steady the gauge needle.

This setup is dirt cheap to make, and with the guage you can set up the #1 cylinder, and then it's just a matter of dialing in the other cylinders so the levels match.

BB

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I purchased a Morgan Carb-Tune about 6 months ago. It was about $85 delivered to my door direct from England. I've since learned you you can buy it in the states but the mark up was considerable.

It doesn't use any fluids, nothing to calibrate, just put the restrictors in. It appears to be extremly well made as well. Its paid for itself already on 2 of my bikes and I have synced several other customers bikes making it pay for itself already. The Stealership charged me over $100. to sync my FJR prior to my purchase.

The last thing I need to worry about is if a tool is accurate for what could be a sensitive job (ie: torque wrench, voltage meter, etc). Just my .02.

Scott

Jacobien

Reaction score
Visit site
I also used the vacuum gauge and had the same problem. What you need to do is use a pair of pliers to apply light pressure to the connector hose, until the gauge stabilizes. I know it sounds strange, but it really works.