Throttle seems Different Today: Help

GuantanamoShrey

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys,

I am pretty new to riding, just a month in and I have not had any problems with my 2005 fz6n.

today I took the bike to work and rode it since i do some traveling. After I got back to the office and left it out and came back to it the throttle response seemed a little bit weird, disconnected and slow. It doesnt snap back too quickly . I have recorded and posted up some videos to show you.

Can you guys tell me if this is a problem I can fix on my own? This only happened today and seems weird because my emergency switch was off, and I never turn it off. Hopefully someone didnt tamper with it. Parked it in an office parking lot in a generally nice area too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv0mp_wOdwU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG0Dw5MYv5E

Thank You!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Based on this vid, looks to me like the grip is hanging on something. It could be the cables, but I'm guessing either the grip is pushing up against controls or bad end or the plastic throttle sleeve (which sits under throttle grip) is hanging up on the bar.

I'd start by looking over the grip to make sure clearance is good between controls and bar end. If it looks OK, I'd undo the controls and slide the plastic sleeve out and check under that.. check both throttle cables by hand to make sure they slide freely and snap back.

Let's see what everyone else thinks.

GuantanamoShrey

Reaction score
Visit site
Based on this vid, looks to me like the grip is hanging on something. It could be the cables, but I'm guessing either the grip is pushing up against controls or bad end or the plastic throttle sleeve (which sits under throttle grip) is hanging up on the bar.

I'd start by looking over the grip to make sure clearance is good between controls and bar end. If it looks OK, I'd undo the controls and slide the plastic sleeve out and check under that.. check both throttle cables by hand to make sure they slide freely and snap back.

Let's see what everyone else thinks.

I will try that now and see if it works out

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
From the first video (second doesn't work-private), it appears you have bar end mirrors on it?

Yes, the throttle should snap back easily, on its own.

And agreed, if your kill switch is on, someones been screwing with your bike.

There's three phillips head screws that hold your throttle assembly to the bar (accessable from underneath):

Yamaha Motorcycle Parts 2005 FZ6 - FZ6ST HANDLE SWITCH LEVER Diagram

Besides Erci's suggestions (which are likely correct), if those don't fix the issue, loosen that mirror and see if that helps.

If so, you may have to move/adjust the throttle slightly. There's three phillips head screws that hold the assembly to the bar. Just crack those loose and try moving the throttle assembly slightly, see if that helps...

Try the above and post back. there's some other things tha can be checked/cleaned but the above are the most likely..

Double click on the below image to enlarge, or the link for a full sized pic..

Last edited:

GuantanamoShrey

Reaction score
Visit site
From the first video (second doesn't work-private), it appears you have bar end mirrors on it?

Yes, the throttle should snap back easily, on its own.

And agreed, if your kill switch is on, someones been screwing with your bike.

There's three phillips head screws that hold your throttle assembly to the bar (accessable from underneath):

Yamaha Motorcycle Parts 2005 FZ6 - FZ6ST HANDLE SWITCH LEVER Diagram

Besides Erci's suggestions (which are likely correct), if those don't fix the issue, loosen that mirror and see if that helps.

If so, you may have to move/adjust the throttle slightly. There's three phillips head screws that hold the assembly to the bar. Just crack those loose and try moving the throttle assembly slightly, see if that helps...

Try the above and post back. there's some other things tha can be checked/cleaned but the above are the most likely..

Double click on the below image to enlarge, or the link for a full sized pic..

Thank You,

I checked those areas, nothing blocking and it doesn't seem to be catching onto the controls.

just strange, it was working fine this morning, maybe I am over thinking it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBlQn0VM3Ds&feature=youtu.be

Here it is after I opened it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp2uBumMwzU&feature=youtu.be

Could it be that the cables are loose?

I am able to ride fine still just doesn't feel the same for some reason, or maybe im just a bit paranoid...lol

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
No, something is wrong with it, your not over thinking it.

I take it your not pushing the throttle back to idle, its slowly vibrating itself back?

There is several cable adjustments. The easiest to adjust (or someone to screw with your bike) is right there at that assembly. If the inner cables are too tight, they'll bind up.

On the other end of the cables, on the left side of the bike, just below the frame, above the radiator hose,
you'll see two cables (a "pusher" and a "puller"). One pulls open the throttle, the second (just as a safety), pulls it closed if necessary (in your case its necessary). You'l see a roundish plate, one cable atop, one on the bottom, make sure nothings jambed in there preventing it from operating freely.

Please post what you find.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
How many miles on the bike BTW?

Was the throttle nice and smooth before or somewhat rough, maybe kinda hard to turn? Besides the obvious, what changed between yesterday and today, if any change in feel?

What I'm trying to get to is the possibility of the inside of the "pull" cable possible being frayed/worn out and hanging up.

If you remove each cable from the throttle and the lower end,(by the throttle bodies) each should slid in and out smoothly. If ones hanging up, you have a bad cable..

With the mods I see done to the bike, if the throttle cables weren't routed correctly, they could have a bind in them as well. Check fo that too.

They should both have nice even routes. If one obviously has a kink in it, you may be able to straighten it but I would replace it for safety's sake..

GuantanamoShrey

Reaction score
Visit site
How many miles on the bike BTW?

Was the throttle nice and smooth before or somewhat rough, maybe kinda hard to turn? Besides the obvious, what changed between yesterday and today, if any change in feel?

What I'm trying to get to is the possibility of the inside of the "pull" cable possible being frayed/worn out and hanging up.

If you remove each cable from the throttle and the lower end,(by the throttle bodies) each should slid in and out smoothly. If ones hanging up, you have a bad cable..

With the mods I see done to the bike, if the throttle cables weren't routed correctly, they could have a bind in them as well. Check fo that too.

They should both have nice even routes. If one obviously has a kink in it, you may be able to straighten it but I would replace it for safety's sake..

imgur: the simple image sharer

so now this happened, testing if it would snap back and i kinda pulled too hard and it snapped..

Now i have no idea what to do...:confused:

imgur: the simple image sharer ---frayed...

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
imgur: the simple image sharer

so now this happened, testing if it would snap back and i kinda pulled too hard and it snapped..

Now i have no idea what to do...:confused:

There was definitely a big king in that cable (you can see it in the pic), so new one would be in order anyway. And if it just snapped, chances are it was either bent and straightened multiple times or few strands were snapped.
That would explain the slow-to-return-to-closed throttle.

You'll have to get a replacement.

You need the following parts:
CABLE, THROTTLE 1
5VX-26311-00-00

CABLE, THROTTLE 2
5VX-26312-00-00

Each one is under $10 at most online shops which sell OEM Yamaha parts.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ah.. I replied before I saw your edit. Yup.. frayed cable will do that. Easy/cheap fix!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There was definitely a big king in that cable (you can see it in the pic), so new one would be in order anyway. And if it just snapped, chances are it was either bent and straightened multiple times or few strands were snapped.

CABLE, THROTTLE 1
5VX-26311-00-00

CABLE, THROTTLE 2
5VX-26312-00-00

Just got off landline with him. The pull cable broke in about the middle, (frayed) where the PO, after doing the naked conversion, has a gazillion zip ties securring the cables...

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just got off landline with him. The pull cable broke in about the middle, (frayed) where the PO, after doing the naked conversion, has a gazillion zip ties securring the cables...

You're a good man, Scott! :thumbup:
(rep on the way, if the system will let me)

UGH.. *you must spread ... blah blah blah*.. no rep for you until I do more *spreading* :rolleyes:

GuantanamoShrey

Reaction score
Visit site

CABLE, THROTTLE 1
5VX-26311-00-00

CABLE, THROTTLE 2
5VX-26312-00-00

Since only 1 cable broke, will i still need both? If the other one is okay when I check it tomorrow will I be okay with just the Top cable (pull cable)?

Is that one the "Throttle 1" you listed?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Since only 1 cable broke, will i still need both? If the other one is okay when I check it tomorrow will I be okay with just the Top cable (pull cable)?

Is that one the "Throttle 1" you listed?

Technically just need one, but based on this one fraying/snapping, personally I'd swap both (we're talking $10 extra)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As long as the return cable isn't bent up at all and slides in and out fine, I wouldn't. I suspect thou, its probably zip tied to death like the "pull" cable.. (it has about 4,000 miles on it)

Part #6 is the pull cable:

Yamaha Motorcycle Parts 2005 FZ6 - FZ6ST STEERING HANDLE CABLE Diagram

If you look REAL CLOSE AT THE TOP of the cable, you can see the adjuster that the lower "return" cable DOESN'T have..

Last edited:

GuantanamoShrey

Reaction score
Visit site
Technically just need one, but based on this one fraying/snapping, personally I'd swap both (we're talking $10 extra)

I see, and not to question your knowledge on it but, the model you posted says xs400 , when i searched for the fz6 it was a different one.

GuantanamoShrey

Reaction score
Visit site
The part # posted by Erci is correct, its the same as the link I posted.

The cable could very well be used on that other bike as well...:thumbup:

I have posted a video of the 2nd throttle cable , it seems okay actually. I dont even think they were ziptied. I think it might have been chewed up in a bad position while steering or caught on something.

Here is a pic of the damage,

Throttle Cable Damage - Imgur

Here is how the cables are running into the bike

Cable Set up - Imgur

This is a Video of the 2nd cable, Seems okay, I checked the routing from the throttle into the frame, doesn't seem to be any damage or major bends or anything.

0507140927 - YouTube

I ordered the part from Partzilla, hopefully I can get this fixed soon. Weather is too nice right now.

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
I have posted a video of the 2nd throttle cable , it seems okay actually. I dont even think they were ziptied. I think it might have been chewed up in a bad position while steering or caught on something.

Here is a pic of the damage,

Throttle Cable Damage - Imgur

Here is how the cables are running into the bike

Cable Set up - Imgur

This is a Video of the 2nd cable, Seems okay, I checked the routing from the throttle into the frame, doesn't seem to be any damage or major bends or anything.

0507140927 - YouTube

I ordered the part from Partzilla, hopefully I can get this fixed soon. Weather is too nice right now.

Sorry for the delay in my response - I know that feeling. When I went naked, my cables were re-routed behind the headlight and didn't have enough space to have smooth bends, the sharp bends (really not that sharp) were enough to slow the response of the throttle return. I see that your bike is naked and I'd say do some looking at the routing of the cables, even though you had a bend/kink in that one, the root of the issue could be how it's being passed around the forks and triple trees.