Throttle jerking

Joshua Redman

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys,

I have a very annoying problem with my bike, I hope someone may help me detect the cause of it. English is not my native, so I'm going to have a hard time explaining what's the problem.

In short - throttle seems to jerk when I start revving at low RPM. The main problem is that my bike has a hickup in the exact moment when throttle gets added. I'm sure you don't understand so let me try to explain in more details - for example, I shift to 2nd gear, release throttle, release the clutch slowly and after when I add throttle, if I don't do it micro-precisely-slowly the bike makes a hickup which sometimes tends to throw me out of the seat.

The same thing happens in reverse. If I'm riding 2nd gear at 3-4k rpm (just as an example) and release the throttle - the bike jerks in the very moment when throttle no more revs.

Symptoms: this happens in low gears, once this jerk goes away everything runs smoothly. This doesn't happen in neutral. Adding throttle goes smoothly without hickups.
I've consulted the mechanic and he adjusted cylinders and said that's it. I think he didn't quite understand my problem.

Could it be that clutch/throttle cables needs lubing? Any other idea?

Thanks much for your thoughts, I really appreciate it.

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
Could it be that your throttle freeplay is out of spec? Check the service manual on how to do this. It's super-easy to check and service. It's basically the amount of freeplay on the part of the throttle that twists before it engages.

Joshua Redman

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the reply! My mechanic adjusted this as well, but I doubt he adjusted it by specs. I'm going to head out and try this. Although, there is a certain amount of freeplay already.

Thanks again.

Spideyrex

Reaction score
Visit site
I also have a 2006 FZ6 and I found the throttle response a bit jarring in the on/off transition. No matter how smooth I was on the throttle it was still jerky. I added a Power Commander (stock map) and the throttle was MUCH smoother. I think the bike runs too lean from the factory (emissions). But check your cables as well.

Last edited:

spock

Reaction score
Visit site
Also check your chain for stiff links

if you find some, clean the chain and properly lubricate it

Please keep us informed and how this evolves.

Cheers.

tomari

Just a custom user title!
Reaction score
Visit site
a throttle sync will also make this jerky throttle a bit smoother, i found that throttle syncing at 4k rpm has better effect than in idle

Joshua Redman

Reaction score
Visit site
Guys,

thanks much for your tips & replies! I really appreciate it!

Here's the update - I adjusted the free play of throttle as per manual (3-5mm) and it seem to have helped! I still experience it though, but less.

As per other tips, chain is lubricated recently so I don't think that's the problem. I'm not sure what Power Commander is nor TPS nor syncing the throttle :) Sorry, I'm not so into mechanics... (but I'm willing to learn).

If it helps somehow, I'm experiencing it when releasing throttle as well. Say I'm riding in 6k rpm and release the throttle - the revs fall smoothly up to a point where it starts to jerk 2-3 times. So I'm not touching throttle at that moment.

In forward direction is much more dangerous. I'm going through a curve and decelerating up to the middle of the curve where I want to add the throttle and suddenly when I do - the bike pulls me really hard and wants to throw me out of seat...

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Guys,

Here's the update - I adjusted the free play of throttle as per manual (3-5mm) and it seem to have helped! I still experience it though, but less.

As per other tips, chain is lubricated recently so I don't think that's the problem. I'm not sure what Power Commander is nor TPS nor syncing the throttle :) Sorry, I'm not so into mechanics... (but I'm willing to learn).

If it helps somehow, I'm experiencing it when releasing throttle as well. Say I'm riding in 6k rpm and release the throttle - the revs fall smoothly up to a point where it starts to jerk 2-3 times. So I'm not touching throttle at that moment.

In forward direction is much more dangerous. I'm going through a curve and decelerating up to the middle of the curve where I want to add the throttle and suddenly when I do - the bike pulls me really hard and wants to throw me out of seat...

Joshua,

What is the idle speed of your engine set to? You can reduce that off-idle jerk a bit more, by slightly increasing the idle speed...... bring it 'up' to around 1300 RPM and see what you think.

tomari

Reaction score
Visit site
Guys,

from what i read it seams you operate the bike in very low rpms dont be afraid to operate it a bit higher, if you roll the bike in idle speed with a gear on (lets say 10km/h 5th gear) its obvius its gonna jerk!

"""In forward direction is much more dangerous. I'm going through a curve and decelerating up to the middle of the curve where I want to add the throttle and suddenly when I do - the bike pulls me really hard and wants to throw me out of seat... """
how many rpms do u have when you try this what gear? try it a gear or two lower around 7-8k rpms and see if it happens dont be afraid of the bike sounding crazy she just loves it!!
im not asking you to try this with more speed but with lower gear/higher rpms the fz6 throttle response its like going from 0 to 10 then 11, 12 , 13 (lets say 100 is full throttle) so if you try it higher you dont need to close your throttle above 10 so opening it up again will be a +1 +2 +3 +4 and will accelerate you smoother

Last edited:

Jez

Reaction score
Visit site
TPS is Throttle Position Sensor. There was a worldwide safety recall on many FZ6s. Big thread on it somewhere.

I just got mine changed today. No more loss of power, slowing down when steady on the gas, jerky acceleration or stalling at low revs.

JAZZ-n-FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
This doesn't answer your question, but is your name joshua redman or are you refering to the jazz saxophonist joshua redman. The main reason I ask is because of your aviator pic.

Joshua Redman

Reaction score
Visit site
@tomari
Yes you're right. I avoid high RPM's and the stuff I'm talking about is happening at low speeds, say 20-50 km/h and in 2nd gear. Higher RPM's and higher gears - and I experience less of this.

I'm not explaining it right possibly. I'll see if I can video record the behavior somehow so you can all judge.

Thanks much for your help though!

@ saxophone823
yeah, I'm not Redman although I would really love to play like him :)

DaveOTZ

Reaction score
Visit site
If all of the functional mechanics seem to check out...
This bike is the first bike that gave me a tough time stalling when I first got it.
Not the bike but my throttle control and confidence were the main factors in the bikes performance...
When I read on the forum about the power differences along the RPM band I found the bike jerked a lot less and my performance in general improved immensely...

Open that sucker up and get some more practice, dont be shy with the gas (if you need a safety net take your turns in 2nd gear)...

The only time Fizzy gets jerky now is when I do it intentionally...

GOOD LUCK:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Joshua Redman

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys, I'm going to lube the cables, do some more maintenance that I'm able to do, twist the throttle and we'll see :)

I'll keep you posted!

gstephen70

Reaction score
Visit site
Redman,

I too experience this issue. After a good bit of testing, it seems to me the culprit is the low RPM's. This bike likes to be run at higher RPM's. If you stay over 4k, you shoukd be fine.

Hope this helps.

tomari

Reaction score
Visit site
just keep in mind, engine braking will be stronger in higher rpms so in case you get scared in the middle of the corner dont chop it all the way. be gentle with it : )