Throttle Cable? How to change it? Tips?

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, my mighty black fizzer has a slightly frayed throttle cable, so, i am going to change it before it becomes an issue....having never done thison an FZ6, was wondering whether anyone has, and whether there are any tips, tricks, or things to watch out for before i start the job...

Did the search thing, and all i could find was Jerky Throttle this, how to adjust, etc....no actual thread with a how to, or anything specific re replacing this item...

any help would be awesome!

:thumbup:

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
This be a very good question. I've done it twice, and hated it both times.

It's not hard, here's a quick breakdown.

1. Strip RHS lever assembly, removing cable ends.
2. loosten nuts at fastening point, under the tank
3. remove ends of cables from throttle assembly under tank
4. run new cables
5. Re-assemble
6. set tension

A few points to note:
There are 2 seperate cables, one will have a slight bend at the end, where it mounts before the throttle assembly, take note which is above and which below.

If you want to lube your cables in any way do it before fitting.

It's a really tricky job, since you're caught under/behind the frame, removing your airbox will give you a lot more space, but mounting the cables to the throttle body is ... patient work.

You may as well clean out throttle grips etc while you're busy there. The first time a cable (the clutch cabe if i recall) rubbed against the throttle cables, causing a slight hook midway through throttle, check for that before re-assembly.

Good luck :thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This be a very good question. I've done it twice, and hated it both times.

It's not hard, here's a quick breakdown.

1. Strip RHS lever assembly, removing cable ends.
2. loosten nuts at fastening point, under the tank
3. remove ends of cables from throttle assembly under tank
4. run new cables
5. Re-assemble
6. set tension

A few points to note:
There are 2 seperate cables, one will have a slight bend at the end, where it mounts before the throttle assembly, take note which is above and which below.

If you want to lube your cables in any way do it before fitting.

It's a really tricky job, since you're caught under/behind the frame, removing your airbox will give you a lot more space, but mounting the cables to the throttle body is ... patient work.

You may as well clean out throttle grips etc while you're busy there. The first time a cable (the clutch cabe if i recall) rubbed against the throttle cables, causing a slight hook midway through throttle, check for that before re-assembly.

Good luck :thumbup:

So i do need to take off the tank, i thought this may be a given, will have to make sure i do the job with a near empty tank...just for convenience sake...

Might be a good time to give my airfilter a "birthday", Whilst i have the airbox off.

I have noticed that it is quite cramped in where all the cables run through from the front of the bike, and hook up's where already a concernm of mine, as they were when i moved the cables down, when installing the clip-ons...in fact, the clutch cable re-route with the clip-ons was rather "interesting", but it works!

Thanks for the great advice!

:thumbup:

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
Thought I'd resurrect this thread since I did this job today. Replaced only the "pull" cable, which is the one that actually opens the throttle. It frayed after 27K miles and 8 years with only one lube in its entire life. The other cable is a safety feature in case the first cable breaks and the spring on the throttle body doesn't close the throttle on its own.

Let's just say, bring your a-game and some serious patience to this job. Getting the new cable through that little hole in the frame and into the correct place to mount to the throttle body is... excruciatingly difficult.

I had to remove the airbox, battery, and battery tray. It was still very difficult to see what I was doing even with a bright flashlight (which is very necessary).

After about an hour of swearing and shear frustration, I finally got it into place! Mounting the cable ends to the throttle body/ throttle was a piece of cake in comparison.

The new cable feels much better. The pull on the throttle is a lot easier and smoother than it was before. Also lubed both cables while I was in there. The secondary cable is unlikely to ever fray since it's simply not under tension under normal riding conditions.

Last edited:

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
I just did this today - my throttle had been grabbing (took a lot of force to get past that point) about a third of the way to WOT and I suspected a frayed cable in there somewhere. took an hour or so, not bad at all! Took off the airbox but left the battery in place, made it easy enough without being a pain.

Toughest part was either fitting the cable back through the frame or tightening the nuts on the top cable (return). I was only able to get less than 1/6th of a turn on the nut each time, so I had to keep flipping the crescent wrench over each time.

Now - super smooth - no grabbing, and perfectly adjusted!

mgdaubo

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry for digging this up.

Has anyone tried measure the length of throttle cables? I want to know because here in my local market it is difficult to get this fz6 genuine parts and I am trying to find cables of other bikes with similar length.

Thank you.

swedespeed

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry for digging this up.

Has anyone tried measure the length of throttle cables? I want to know because here in my local market it is difficult to get this fz6 genuine parts and I am trying to find cables of other bikes with similar length.

Thank you.

Can you not order online?