Throttle body synch movie.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Last week Hellgate came over with his slower blue FZ6 and his carb synchronizer. We synched both bikes and filmed some video of the process.

I just finished it and posted it to youtube today.

If you rep me for the video, please also rep Hellgate.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmLwyAPMBLI"]YouTube - How to synchronize your throttle bodies.[/ame]

Fred

H

HavBlue

Excellent video and thanks for putting in the variation and adjusting for the ride as opposed to idle. Great stuff here....

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
Are the instructions in the service manual pretty clear? I can't watch videos at work so I am SOL. Thanks for helping the forum!

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
The manual's fairly clear, but it does assume that you understand the concept of synchronizing. And the manual is written for the yamaha tool, which is a little different from what we used.

The synchronizer is made by Motion Pro.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Fred - Looks great, thanks creating the vid. However you made a huge mistake, it the BLUE one that is faster, not the Red one! :rtfm:

CrazyBiker

Superbike Champion
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok I ran into a bit of trouble. I tried calibrating the Motion Pro as instructed in the service manual using the cyl#1. I even turned all the screws CCW to lower the levels. But still when I started the bike the fluid got sucked into the tubes. Fortunately I killed the ignition before it entered the engine. What am I doing wrong?

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok I ran into a bit of trouble. I tried calibrating the Motion Pro as instructed in the service manual using the cyl#1. I even turned all the screws CCW to lower the levels. But still when I started the bike the fluid got sucked into the tubes. Fortunately I killed the ignition before it entered the engine. What am I doing wrong?

I think you chopped the throttle too fast. Maybe??? You have to very gently and carefully close the throttle otherwise the vacuum will suck the fluid into the throttle bodies. If there is/was mercury in your sync tool get the heck out of the room fast! You don't want to breath burned mercury fumes.

Fred - Thoughts???

CrazyBiker

Superbike Champion
Reaction score
Visit site
Actually I didn't even get to that. I connected everything and fired the bike up. Seems even the higher initial idle rpm ~ 1850 created enough vacuum to suck up the fluid. But the fluid didn't go in and it is not mercury so no sweat .. but now I can't do this and have to order replacement fluid. It seems I always land into trouble the 1st time I do anything with this bike.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
The Motion Pro tool has a calibration procedure. Did you do that first?

Closing off the screws is actually going to increase the vacuum level. Opening them will lower the levels.

Did you change the top left screw? I hope not, that's the one that is set to a specific level by Yamaha. If you altered that one, you'll need to reset its vacuum level using a vacuum gauge. The proper vacuum level is listed in the service manual. I'm at school right now so I can't look it up for you.

Then you'll synch the other three throttle bodies to that one.

For now, close the three screws and then turn them 1.5 turns out from closed. That'll get you close and you can synch from there.

That's all I can think of. The engine shouldn't make that much vacuum at idle. You saw in the video when we started up the cold bike, the vacuum levels weren't that high. I can only guess that closing off the ports caused the problem.

CrazyBiker

Superbike Champion
Reaction score
Visit site
This happened during calibration only. I followed the instructions and connected the 1st hose to the cyliner 1 and others to the calibration manifold. I didn't tamper with the brass adjustment screws on the bike. I just turned out the screws on the motion pro. I m confused why there was so much suction at startup.

Oscar54

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This happened during calibration only. I followed the instructions and connected the 1st hose to the cyliner 1 and others to the calibration manifold. I didn't tamper with the brass adjustment screws on the bike. I just turned out the screws on the motion pro. I m confused why there was so much suction at startup.

This is just a SWAG, but did you warm up the engine first?

Maybe when the engine is cold the vacuum is higher than at operating temperature?

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome work once again by Fred and Pete! This is like Tool Time with a weekly episode from you two! Who is "Al" and who is "Tim" here? ;)

Great job and thanks for taking your time to make our lives easier and less expensive!