Thinking to put fuel filter on my '05 FZ6...

Johny Bravo

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm concerned for my injectors, and I'm thinking of installing a motorcycle fuel filter on my main hose from the pump to the main rail... In our country the quality of the fuel is very low, and I'm afraid of congestion of the injectors...
I have a motorcycle fuel filter which has to be with higher flow compared to others, so I think it won't lower the fuel flow and pressure...

10003863.jpg

I'm not cutting the main hose, but installing new, same diameter and material, so if it doesn't do, to be able to undo.
On other hand I'm concerned about overloading the pump in some way... :confused:
What would you advise me? Thanks a lot!

opnwhlmnd

Adrenaline junkie
Reaction score
Visit site
That looks like a low pressure fuel filter for a carb fuel system.

The FZ runs almost 38 psi of fuel pressure. I would suggest a metal can filter that can handle the pressure.

There's already a filter in the tank at the end of the fuel pump

stevesnj

Reaction score
Visit site
I would have a mechanic measure the fuel flow before and after you install the filter.. if there is a significant drop in pressure than i wouldn't put it on. You dont want to run lean at 10,000 RPM

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
It would probably be more effective to improve the filter at the pickup to the pump...... but I would not expect that to be easily done.

How hard would it be for you to carry a glass jar and a rag with you on your bike?

During my Navy service, the fuel provided to the aircraft was always inspected during each refueling. The first test was simple..... pump some of the fuel into a glass jar, and look at it. If you see sediment, or water droplets, do not allow that fuel to be put in your bike. The Navy fuel sample was then taken to the lab to be tested in greater detail, and the findings recorded against any future mishaps with the aircraft.

There is always a certain amount of fuel below the level of the intake for the fuel system, to allow settling of sediment, and water from the fuel before it enters the system. If you are concerned with overcoming that volume, you should consider flushing the tank to remove those contaminants.

tuningfork

Reaction score
Visit site
What about carrying a filter/funnel of some kind with you when you refuel, and filter it "on the way in"?

I wouldn't mess with an inline filter like that for the reasons already mentioned.

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
I have to agree with what most everyone here says. When you have a pressurized fuel injection system, usually "It's best not to mess". JMO
IF you do this, please let us know how it goes? Good luck!

Johny Bravo

Reaction score
Visit site
That looks like a low pressure fuel filter for a carb fuel system.

The FZ runs almost 38 psi of fuel pressure. I would suggest a metal can filter that can handle the pressure.

There's already a filter in the tank at the end of the fuel pump

Yes, it is a low pressure filter, and that's why I thought it could be good because low pressure carb filters allow more fuel to pass with unaffected pressure... But I might be wrong... :confused: Thank you for the Idea for a metal high pressure filter, I didn't thought of it indeed... You migt reckon that low pressure filter will dissolve or disintegrate by the pressure.... :confused: Duh... Maybe you're right...

@stevesnj, I thought for measuring pressure too, but still looking for gauge to do it with. Thanks! :thumbup:

@RJ2112 & tuningfork , it`s really hard to carry a glass jar everytime I refuel, because I use to commute everyday and travel a lot too... Not enough space for a jar... :( Also had in mind refueling with filter paper everytime, but it would be as hard as a rock! I have to wait fuel to pass through filter paper drop-by-drop?!!? Can't do on the gas station... :(

I know that the fuel pump has its own strainer, but I think it won't catch everything, would it? :confused:
And here comes the other Question: How we inspect fuel pump strainer and what ca we do to clean it if it becomes congested...
I have a friend with Suzuki GSXR 1000 K6 who ruined his pump trying to glean its strainer... I'm afraid for mine, as everyone of you... ;)

So For now I'm on way to get another high pressure metal filter, and measure fuel pressure before and after installing it!
Really THANKS A LOT EVERYBODY!!! :rockon:
I'll keep you on touch! ;)