Thinking of trading

armystrong

feeling Triumphant
Reaction score
www.fz6-forum.com
So...I'm out riding today and I stopped into my local dealer.

On the floor there sat a 06 Red FZ1 with about 8K on the clock.

The saleman says "would you like to take her out for a spin?". I jumped at the opportunity since I'd never rode an FZ1 before. I was pretty much sold on it right out of the stable. Really enjoyed the ride and overall feel of the bike.

Here's the offer:

My 04 FZ6-- they want to give me 3000 for it. I paid 3000 for it when I bought it in Nov 07. The bike has 11,XXX miles on it. I've put a lot of work into the bike...naked, with a lot of mods, etc. I know dealers dont usually give you anything for your mods...so I'm basically getting exactly what I paid for the bike in the first place

Sticker on the 06 FZ1 was 6999 + fees, so maybe about 7300-7400 OTD before my trade. They bumped the price down so I could get out the door for my bike plus $4000.

FZ1 is bone stock and very clean...may need new tires before long though.

What are you thoughts concerning the offer. I'm very curious. Thanks

WenMark

Reaction score
Visit site
Well here are Kelly's Values if you are in a good $$ situation you could really offer them 5.5K OTD or less and get a great deal. I think you could easily sell your bike for 3K. My 2 cents. Good Luck:thumbup:

2006 Yamaha FZ1 Value
Email Bookmark
August 15, 2009

* 4-Cylinders
* 4-Stroke
* 998cc

Trade-In Value (Good Condition) $4365

August 15, 2009

* 4-Cylinders
* 4-Stroke
* 998cc

Suggested Retail Value $6335

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Seems a fair price for yours. I believe my dealer told me the 06 FZ1 were notorious for an abrupt throttle response. He said a power commander should correct this problem. Did you notice anything during your test ride?
Sounds like a nice upgrade :)

armystrong

feeling Triumphant
Reaction score
www.fz6-forum.com
Thanks for the input and info.

Here's a pic of the bike :D

decisions ...decisions!

armystrong-albums-armystrong-album-picture4654-2006fz1.jpg

armystrong

feeling Triumphant
Reaction score
www.fz6-forum.com
Seems a fair price for yours. I believe my dealer told me the 06 FZ1 were notorious for an abrupt throttle response. He said a power commander should correct this problem. Did you notice anything during your test ride?
Sounds like a nice upgrade :)

I did notice the throttle was very "quick", but I just thought it was because it was a "new" bike for me and I wasn't used to it or because the bike had more power than the 6 I'm used to riding.

DMP84

Reaction score
Visit site
That's a nice looking bike, I'd definitely consider it if I was in your situation, the only thing that bugs me about the FZ1 is that exhaust... : /

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
If they have guaranteed 3000 for your FZ6, take off the mods that are easy to switch back to stock and sell them. Extra cash to spend on the FZ1. Mods don't really add money for the dealer and they probably won't care or notice.

WenMark

Reaction score
Visit site
Retail on your FZ6 is about $4100. Dealers don't seem to care for me much b/c I always get a awesome deal. I do my homework and they don't like that. Bike sales are down. So good time to deal. keep us posted

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well here are Kelly's Values if you are in a good $$ situation you could really offer them 5.5K OTD or less and get a great deal. I think you could easily sell your bike for 3K. My 2 cents. Good Luck:thumbup:

2006 Yamaha FZ1 Value
Email Bookmark
August 15, 2009

* 4-Cylinders
* 4-Stroke
* 998cc

Trade-In Value (Good Condition) $4365

August 15, 2009

* 4-Cylinders
* 4-Stroke
* 998cc

Suggested Retail Value $6335
This sound's like they are getting Armystrong's bike for $365.00 !!!!

JohnTex

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds low to me on the trade. I traded in a red 2007 FZ6 with 18k miles last weekend for $3800. Only mods were dark-smoke Puig, tankslapper, and frame sliders. Plenty of chips on the grab rails and a few on the tank from daily tank bag/tailbag use.

The trade-in wasn't even brought to the table until we agreed on the new bike's cost, so I know they weren't getting me on a "package" deal.

My going in position was to sell the bike outright for $4k, or take $3.5 for trade. The extra $300 was a nice bonus.

Good luck.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
First, I'd get the bike, but I am biased! :D Second, there are two '06 bikes here going for almost $1k less. I think you can negotiate a better deal, like your bike and $3k - $3.5k OTD. But, I'd definitely go argue pricing with them. Show them these prices: National Powersports Distributors Current Inventory- 1-603-410-4120

Next up, Fuel Cutoff. There is a problem with this on the '06 model. There's a guy in NY that makes an FCE or Fuel Cutoff Eliminator, for about $195.00 The Power Commander will do absolutely nothing for this issue. Yamaha did fix this going forward and my '09 doesn't exhibit this behaviour.

Things you will notice day to day? More frequent gas stops (running AVG MPG for me is about 36) with a larger consumption and smaller tank. That is the ONLY setback I have with this bike. The other problem is every time I twist the throttle, my ears hurt..... from grinning. ;) It's all the FZ6 was with a ton more torque and power. 0-82 in first gear. :steve:

Riding in VT this weekend with the FZ6 guys, while they were in 6th gear touring in the hills, I was in 4th, sometimes 5th and didn't get to use 6th much. I think 6th should be renamed to "ludicrous" :rockon:

Buy it, but negotiate a better deal. Don't be afraid of going to the matt because it is YOUR money. :thumbup: